Hoe to get my AG to eat pellets

Tnecgal78

May 27, 2019
Hi, my AG will not eat pellets. Any suggestions on how to get her to eat them?
Iā€™ve tried organic life enhancing pellets . Also, sheā€™s not fond of Nutriberries either. My next try is Harrisonā€™s high potency coarse.
Iā€™m grinding up & adding to food now but would love f her to eat them wo grinding up. Sheā€™s 9 mo old.
Thanks!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
What will she eat? If she's getting a nice CHOP / plenty of fresh food she may not need pellets but I agree that it is good to find a pellet they like.

I feed my cockatiels a mix of pellets including Zupreem Fruit pellets, Roudybush and Harrisons, they are not so fond of the Roudybush and I suspect its because of the pellet form, sort of long and skinny pellets they don't like so much.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Nutriberries aren't really good as a pellet anyways, more of a treat. Especially for larger birds that don't have a high amount of seeds in their diet.

TOPs is also a great pellet to try.

Keep doing what you're doing but maybe slowly reduce how much of the food she will eat there is in the mix and slowly increase pellet amount. Eventually she will get it.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Hi, my AG will not eat pellets. Any suggestions on how to get her to eat them?
Iā€™ve tried organic life enhancing pellets . Also, sheā€™s not fond of Nutriberries either. My next try is Harrisonā€™s high potency coarse.
Iā€™m grinding up & adding to food now but would love f her to eat them wo grinding up. Sheā€™s 9 mo old.
Thanks!
Go to Harrison's web page and select "Using our Foods". There are a number of guides and tips for conversion. I found that Harrison's Power Treats helped me convert Nike. The Power Treats taste better than the pellets but are the same shape and close to color and Nike got used to eating them....actually she loves them. I started mixing Power Treats with High Potency Coarse and reducing the ratio until she would eat a treat and then all that was left was the regular pellet and she would finish with those.

Harrison's says that the treats can equal as much as 30% of their diet.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I feed my cockatiels a mix of pellets including Zupreem Fruit pellets, Roudybush and Harrisons, they are not so fond of the Roudybush and I suspect its because of the pellet form, sort of long and skinny pellets they don't like so much.

Roudybush- My JoJo doesnā€™t care for that size either! The next size up, mini, he loves!

Most Reactions

Latest posts