Hormonal, SCREAMING, 8-yo BCC help (long)

osnyder

Sep 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Parrots
Stitch the Blue Crown Conure
Hi everyone! I haven't posted for ages. I'm looking for sympathy as much as actual help, Lord help me.

So, my BCC Stitch has lately seemed to have entered a really agitated, hormonal, screamy state, and there seems to be very little I can to do address it. I've had to isolate him a lot-- I put him in my bedroom on a stand and he goes quieter usually (he's there now). He's got food water and everything, its a nice sunny room and such, but normally being in the living room with people is fine, and of course, preferable all around.

He's moulting a little, as he tends to this time of year. But he's also doing something new-- he seems to be trying to shag his favorite person, my boyfriend.

He's around my BF maybe half the time. He screams regardless of where he is-- if he's at BF's house, he's doing the same thing, but seems a LITTLE more likely to calm down.

Baths help a lot, but he's better at taking them with BF-- he can take him into the shower with him, while I have to spray him. He won't come with me to shower.

I'm wondering-- are we being cruel by not allowing him to be with my BF full-time? This situation sort of evolved by accident. Stitch is my bird, but has a preference for men; when I was single he was more affectionate with me, but with a man (and a bird lover) around, he became #1 person. When we're not together, it takes Stitch a few days to decide he wants attention and hang out with me.

Any advice is appreciated-- thank you!

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Sounds likes he's frustrated that your BF won't return his sexual demands. If anything I think being with your BF more and having him want to "shag" him more (lol!) will probably cause even more sexual frustration. Then again, it is totally naturally for them to have these urges, so they do need an outlet of some sort. General advice says to discourage sexual behaviours to prevent further sexual frustration, however.

Also, does your boyfriend pet him under the wings, on the back, or near the tail? If so, definitely don't allow such petting. Head only petting should be encouraged when he's this frustrated, otherwise it may just get worse.

LaurenB

Oct 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure - Tiki //
Sun Conure - Nacho //
Indian Ringnecks - Kermit and Beaker
Just a thought...

Does Stitch have a snuggle hut?

My female GCC started to become VERY aggressive towards me, especially when her 'boyfriend' (my husband) was around. My vet advised getting rid of the snuggle hut. She also informed us not to touch her in the no-no spots (around wings and back). Since we have stopped petting her in the wrong places and removed the snuggle hut, she has seemed to have made a complete 180 in a matter of days.

OP
osnyder

osnyder

Sep 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Parrots
Stitch the Blue Crown Conure
Thanks so much to both of you! He doesn't have a snuggle hut, but he does get petted sometimes on his back and top of his wings, so I will make sure that stops.

Best,
O.

Most Reactions

Latest posts