House Rules

Roanoke

Oct 30, 2014
Greenville, SC
Parrots
Teeko, GCC [Baby Amazon ETA: August 25th]
Just finished writing a list of rules to stick on the fridge! (After everyone signs it of course)
My family aren't very bird-conscious so I figured this'll help them a little, since I'm not big on lectures or confrontations.
In summary, the rules are as follows:
1: No touchie. Leave the bird alone.
2: If he flies to your shoulder in a panic, for Pete's sake don't hit him.*
Lean away and call me.
3. Don't feed: (List of toxic foods)
4: Let me restrain bird before you ever open any door that leads outside.
5: Let me relocate bird before you use (List of toxic/risky items)

*My family are very afraid of being bitten. Plus they're inconsiderate.

Just wondering if any of you have any similar precautions in place? How do you feel about this sort of thing/has it been helpful for you?
I'd love to hear anything you've got, or suggestions for ways I can better 'train' my family.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
It's an awesome idea, I may have to make one up for the boyfriend and me. Him so he doesn't have to come to me every time, me so I have a reminder.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Just finished writing a list of rules to stick on the fridge! (After everyone signs it of course)
My family aren't very bird-conscious so I figured this'll help them a little, since I'm not big on lectures or confrontations.
In summary, the rules are as follows:
1: No touchie. Leave the bird alone.
2: If he flies to your shoulder in a panic, for Pete's sake don't hit him.*
Lean away and call me.
3. Don't feed: (List of toxic foods)
4: Let me restrain bird before you ever open any door that leads outside.
5: Let me relocate bird before you use (List of toxic/risky items)

*My family are very afraid of being bitten. Plus they're inconsiderate.

Just wondering if any of you have any similar precautions in place? How do you feel about this sort of thing/has it been helpful for you?
I'd love to hear anything you've got, or suggestions for ways I can better 'train' my family.

My precaution was to wait until my kids were grown and moved out...lol.:54:

Not really, just the way it worked out. But with just me and hubby at home I don't have a written list. He is very conscience of the fids. However, if any of the kids were to come back home there would definitely be lists...and I would have to screen in our deck to ensure the fids didn't fly out when the door was open.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I have a game I always suggest to people before they bring their bird home, or as soon as possible after.

First, pick a reward. For little kids candy or stickers work, for older kids you might need to use quarters or dollars.

First, make a list of unsafe bird activities, similar to what you have. I include things like cooking, opening doors, lighting candles, and having certain foods out when the bird is out of the cage. Hitting the. It'd may also need to be on the list! I also have a rule in my house that if birds are out, the doors must be locked and every person in the house or who may be coming home must be notified.

Post the list all over the house. Everyone starts the day with ten pieces of candy or whatever prize you use. Each time someone catches someone else doing something unsafe (hitting the bird, opening a door when he is out, getting him out and not telling anyone) the person who notices gets one of the offenders pieces of candy! This both rewards the person who noticed and penalizes the person who did something unsafe. It trains everyone to be vigilant for their own sake, because they get a reward even if they don't like the bird. This is really helpful in homes where one person is a parrot lover, and the others really don't care. Play the game for at least a week (yes I know it can get expensive, but not as expensive as a trip to the vet or your bird flying away or getting eaten by the cat!), longer if you feel the need. Some options are to offer daily bonuses to the winner of each day, and offer a grand prize to the person who wins he most days over all. Once they have been doing it for a while, their minds are trained to be on the lookout, and they are more in the habit of not doing the dangerous things.

OP
Roanoke

Roanoke

Oct 30, 2014
Greenville, SC
Parrots
Teeko, GCC [Baby Amazon ETA: August 25th]
Haha. I guess I forgot to mention that 'my family' are almost all older than me. The notion of them being my kids is hilarious! Love your suggestions, very creative!

Anyway, if there are any other teenage bird owners out there, I highly recommend making a list of rules for your household to follow when around the bird! I've found it very helpful so far.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
It's hard sometimes when we live with others who might not understand birds and their needs.
I've never had a partner who was a true bird person. Maybe a little familiar with birds, but not like us ;). Don is learning, but he gets angry about my "unnecessary" rules! :mad:. Then my dad can't be counted on with his memory to be 'bird safe' either. So, I have to really be proactive and always be vigilant and one step ahead. That's all I can do. It's frustrating at times.
Then before, my ex and his younger teenage daughter were pretty bad about understanding and would stress me out too!

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
the rules in our house are
"everyone must say hello to Delfin"
"everyone must interact with Delfin"
"everyone must give Delfin a piece of food daily"

Most Reactions