How do I chose the right pellet for my linnie?

angleajang

Feb 4, 2022
Parrots
lineolated parakeet called lia
I have no idea how I can research on what is the most healthy pellet or supplement for my linnie
Based on a blog post that I found I have chosen vetafarm md pellets, roudybush maintenance or caitec oven fresh bites for pellet
but this is not my own research and I don't know whether they're actually the healthiest option I can chose

I also have A LOT more samples of such as daily nature fruit patte, versele laga eggfood, daily nature grit, rio vitamin and mineral pellets for exotic birds and others, vitapol economic food for budgies, psittacus maintenance micro garden feathers bird supplies, psittacus minor pellets

I don't know how am I gonna look up all the ingredients on these ...;;

I'm planning to feed twice a day and I'm only going to feed pellet once a day and I will feed fresh veggies, grains and some fruit based diet as well.
I chose to feed pellet once a day because I am not parrot dietitian and I'm afraid that I might miss some vital nutritional value from my fresh food diet and I wish pellet can provide all the nutrition necessary for my baby.

I want the most organic and healthy option for my little buddy so what I want to know is

1.What ingredients should I avoid in choosing the right pellet?
2.What ingredients should I look for?
3.Or can someone please just tell me what is the best option please?
4.My baby is almost at the age when she's done with baby food how can I convert her into pellet and fresh food?

I live in South Korea and some of the pellets in your country may not be available in mine so I'd be very thankful if many of you can give me recommendations

thanks for reading​

Last edited:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I have no idea how I can research on what is the most healthy pellet or supplement for my linnie
Based on a blog post that I found I have chosen vetafarm md pellets, roudybush maintenance or caitec oven fresh bites for pellet
but this is not my own research and I don't know whether they're actually the healthiest option I can chose

I also have A LOT more samples of such as daily nature fruit patte, versele laga eggfood, daily nature grit, rio vitamin and mineral pellets for exotic birds and others, vitapol economic food for budgies, psittacus maintenance micro garden feathers bird supplies, psittacus minor pellets

I don't know how am I gonna look up all the ingredients on these ...;;

I'm planning to feed twice a day and I'm only going to feed pellet once a day and I will feed fresh veggies, grains and some fruit based diet as well.
I chose to feed pellet once a day because I am not parrot dietitian and I'm afraid that I might miss some vital nutritional value from my fresh food diet and I wish pellet can provide all the nutrition necessary for my baby.

I want the most organic and healthy option for my little buddy so what I want to know is

1.What ingredients should I avoid in choosing the right pellet?
2.What ingredients should I look for?
3.Or can someone please just tell me what is the best option please?
4.My baby is almost at the age when she's done with baby food how can I convert her into pellet and fresh food?

I live in South Korea and some of the pellets in your country may not be available in mine so I'd be very thankful if many of you can give me recommendations

thanks for reading​

Hi. Some things to avoid in pellets are:
Colourings
Flavourings
Sugar
Fillers such as corn, soy, wheat or peanuts(If possible)

I also don't recommend grit as it is unnecessary for hookbills(Parrots are hookbills). It can also cause crop impaction(meaning is gets stuck in the crop)

"I also have A LOT more samples of such as daily nature fruit patte, versele laga eggfood, daily nature grit, rio vitamin and mineral pellets for exotic birds and others, vitapol economic food for budgies, psittacus maintenance micro garden feathers bird supplies, psittacus minor pellets"

Out of these, the only ones I'd think is fine is the eggfood, but I don't recommend it. Not because it's bad but because it's unnecessary. The "psittacus minor pellets" is OK if you don't have any other choice.

Some pellets I recommend is TOP's, Harrisons, and Roudybush.

For weaning her on solid foods, I recommend slowly lowering the amount of feedings per day. You can start by feeding her pellets that have been softened with water(I used boiling water when softening pellets, but just let it cool down otherwise she might burn her crop). You can also make "chop" which is finely chopped vegetables.

You can start with giving her one hand-feeding at night and the rest of the day she'll need to eat food by herself, but you need to weigh her daily when doing this(find out her average weight by weighing once a day after her morning poop and so this for about 3 day). If you see she is losing a lot of weight, move her back to the normal amount of hand-feedings.

Aldo don't give her a lot of fruit and focus mainly on veggies. You can also try giving her sprouts as they contain a lot of nutrients(Only give sprout 3-4 times a week to prevent her from getting too much vitamins. If she had liver/kidney issues, give sprouts only 1-2 times a week).

Seed is fine for parakeets as long as it isn't most of their diet, and the seed mix is healthy with many different types of low-fat seed. Avoid peanuts, sunflower seeds, and fruit pieces in seed mixes(dried fruit are very high in sugar. It's best to just use it for training treats).

This place sells Harrisons pellets: https://www.edpark.co.kr/category/해리슨펠렛/222/

Edit: Also since we are on the diet topic, I don't recommend vitamin supplements especially if they have a healthy diet because too much vitamins isn't good for them.

Edit 2: Pellets should be no more than 40% of a parakeets diet. Despite what a lot of people say it should not be 70-90% of their diet. The only reason vets, websites, etc say this is because they assume people are lazy or don't have time to give them less pellets. Vegetables, sprouts, legumes, grains and fruit should be the main focus of their diet.

Last edited:
OP
angleajang

angleajang

Feb 4, 2022
Parrots
lineolated parakeet called lia
Hi. Some things to avoid in pellets are:
Colourings
Flavourings
Sugar
Fillers such as corn, soy, wheat or peanuts(If possible)

I also don't recommend grit as it is unnecessary for hookbills(Parrots are hookbills). It can also cause crop impaction(meaning is gets stuck in the crop)

"I also have A LOT more samples of such as daily nature fruit patte, versele laga eggfood, daily nature grit, rio vitamin and mineral pellets for exotic birds and others, vitapol economic food for budgies, psittacus maintenance micro garden feathers bird supplies, psittacus minor pellets"

Out of these, the only ones I'd think is fine is the eggfood, but I don't recommend it. Not because it's bad but because it's unnecessary. The "psittacus minor pellets" is OK if you don't have any other choice.

Some pellets I recommend is TOP's, Harrisons, and Roudybush.

For weaning her on solid foods, I recommend slowly lowering the amount of feedings per day. You can start by feeding her pellets that have been softened with water(I used boiling water when softening pellets, but just let it cool down otherwise she might burn her crop). You can also make "chop" which is finely chopped vegetables.

You can start with giving her one hand-feeding at night and the rest of the day she'll need to eat food by herself, but you need to weigh her daily when doing this(find out her average weight by weighing once a day after her morning poop and so this for about 3 day). If you see she is losing a lot of weight, move her back to the normal amount of hand-feedings.

Aldo don't give her a lot of fruit and focus mainly on veggies. You can also try giving her sprouts as they contain a lot of nutrients(Only give sprout 3-4 times a week to prevent her from getting too much vitamins. If she had liver/kidney issues, give sprouts only 1-2 times a week).

Seed is fine for parakeets as long as it isn't most of their diet, and the seed mix is healthy with many different types of low-fat seed. Avoid peanuts, sunflower seeds, and fruit pieces in seed mixes(dried fruit are very high in sugar. It's best to just use it for training treats).

This place sells Harrisons pellets: https://www.edpark.co.kr/category/해리슨펠렛/222/

Edit: Also since we are on the diet topic, I don't recommend vitamin supplements especially if they have a healthy diet because too much vitamins isn't good for them.

Edit 2: Pellets should be no more than 40% of a parakeets diet. Despite what a lot of people say it should not be 70-90% of their diet. The only reason vets, websites, etc say this is because they assume people are lazy or don't have time to give them less pellets. Vegetables, sprouts, legumes, grains and fruit should be the main focus of their diet.
Thanks this is incredibly helpful
I will try psittacus, Roudybush and TOP and see which one she likes the most
You've answered everything I needed to know
hope all your parrots are happy and healthy forever <3

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Thanks this is incredibly helpful
I will try psittacus, Roudybush and TOP and see which one she likes the most
You've answered everything I needed to know
hope all your parrots are happy and healthy forever <3
You're welcome! :)

I wish you good luck with your little one and getting her to eat solids. I had a very hard time getting my cockatiel weaned lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts