How do you get a bird off of your shoulder.

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I find the thing that always works like a charm is my handheld T perch. They step right into it.

I just don’t feel comfortable using my hand because it’s not kind they are easily in my line of sight. Wanted to know if that is okay.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I don't think there are any wrong ways (except of catching your bird to get it off)

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I only have 2 shoulder birds. Neither is verry good with "off".
With Bella my CAG my shoulder is mostly transportation from here to there. When she gets where she is going she fly's off.
If I am in the kitchen most of the time she is intensely watching any food handling/preparation and NOT interested in getting off. My best chance is to sit down in a chair in the kitchen and let her climb from my shoulder to the back of the chair.

Bingo my YNA likes my shoulder because he like to be with me.
Unfortunately I have not gotten over the last time he bit me very hard on the ear.
The two best ways to get Bingo off shoulder is to get him to step up onto his cage or he always likes to sit in the window. Iff I walk of to the window he will probably step up onto my hand so he can sit in the window.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Thank you for the feedback guys. My portable T perch is my way of getting mine off but I do drop them off at their cage or on other areas as well.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
The best way to get off Zenek - food! 😛 but also it is a good way to make him land on your shoulder😜

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We use the same verbal request as when we want Salty to step up "Up Up".

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Any bird with shoulder privileges ought be reasonably tame and responsive to either hand or preferred "limb." I find moving the bird on shoulder to a wall as barrier conveys a more urgent desire to remove.

Most Reactions

Latest posts