How do you remove a dowel perch from your cage?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
She also said when she had parrots back when she was little, I donā€™t know if handling birds back then is different from now, but her mom got a blanket for her parrot and it would cover himself with it.
Bad idea to let a parrot cuddle in a blanket unsupervised! They did lots of things "back then' that are now well known to be bad. I know because I'm 60 years old now (a very young 60!) and I did them too! Like giving budgies mirrors and fake plastic budgies as cage companions. Like feeding parrots gravel and grit to eat like it was a necessary food group. Parrots remove the seed shells so they don't need grit in their gizzard to remove thevshells like straight billed birds do. Like using sandpaper perch covers to trim the bird's toenails- a great way to give the bumblefoot and sore feet! Like gravel encrusted cage liners- nothing good about it! Feeding all seed diets are now considered unhealthy. Parrots used to be fed nothing but sunflower seeds, peanuts and crackers (remember what Polly wanted?).
Old habits and outdated ideas are hard to let go of sometimes but the lives of our beloved birds depends on it!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
This my mom that put that not me, I wanted to put a wood perch that only has the nail file on the sides not the whole thing.
This green perch is okay as long as he has other perches high up where birds like to hang out and sleep so they aren't sitting on it all the time. I have one of those green sanded perches in one of my budgie cages and it hasn't been a problem. They have lots of other natural wood perches of different thicknesses too. Dowel perches are really only a problem is the diameter (thickness) of all the perches is the same. Their feet need to get a lot of exercise gripping different sized perches. Dowels are usually made of soft natural pine and birds like to chew them, and that's okay. Just make sure Cosmo has a variety of perches.

OP
QuakerCosmo

QuakerCosmo

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
Cosmo the Quaker
This green perch is okay as long as he has other perches high up where birds like to hang out and sleep so they aren't sitting on it all the time. I have one of those green sanded perches in one of my budgie cages and it hasn't been a problem. They have lots of other natural wood perches of different thicknesses too. Dowel perches are really only a problem is the diameter (thickness) of all the perches is the same. Their feet need to get a lot of exercise gripping different sized perches. Dowels are usually made of soft natural pine and birds like to chew them, and that's okay. Just make sure Cosmo has a variety of perches.
I donā€™t know if I should keep it, others said it was bad like the other person in the forums said filing perches are bad for them, and if it is I shouldnā€™t have it there. I am mad at my mom now because she doesnā€™t want to budge on the blanket. Iā€™m gonna have to do something one day when my momā€™s not looking for him to not have that. But yeah itā€™s difficult for me and my mom to agree on things sometimes.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Is the blanket on the outside of the cage? I keep a blanket covering one corner of my Quakerā€™s cage all the time. That corner is where JJā€™s sleeping perch is and he likes it a little darker. I never have an issue with him chewing it, but of course every bird is different.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I donā€™t know if I should keep it, others said it was bad like the other person in the forums said filing perches are bad for them, and if it is I shouldnā€™t have it there. I am mad at my mom now because she doesnā€™t want to budge on the blanket. Iā€™m gonna have to do something one day when my momā€™s not looking for him to not have that. But yeah itā€™s difficult for me and my mom to agree on things sometimes.
I would discuss toys, the perches and the blanket issue with the vet. Let the professional bird expert talk to your Mom.

The perch issue isn't as black and white as some people think and we often have different opinions. However, I do agree that natural wood perches are best and nail trimming perches are unnecessary, donā€™t really work, and could cause possibly foot problems so why risk it? I bought the green sanded perch to try to keep one of my budgie's beak and nails trimmed because hers grow abnormally long very quickly. The vet needs to trim and shape her overgrown beak every few months. Unfortunately the sanded perch HAS NOT HELPED at all! The vet says her problem is likely caused by an underlying metabolic liver disease that's known to cause abnormal beak and nail growth. The cause may be dietary as she will not eat pellets. She eats a quality budgie seed mix along with fresh organic broccoli daily (all my budgies love broccoli). I have a few other budgies that eat the same exact diet and none of them have her beak growth problem.

OP
QuakerCosmo

QuakerCosmo

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
Cosmo the Quaker
Is the blanket on the outside of the cage? I keep a blanket covering one corner of my Quakerā€™s cage all the time. That corner is where JJā€™s sleeping perch is and he likes it a little darker. I never have an issue with him chewing it, but of course every bird is different.
I have a blanket for the outside and my mom has the blanket for the inside of the cage and he likes to get on the side for some reason whenever he is making his happy noise, which sounds like he is making noises that are calm, he has only 3 or 4 main emotions/ expressions that he does.

1. His Im sleepy expression when he is super calm,

2.His head bobbing, which I think it means he wants attention.

3. His noise when he is about to yell and going all over the cage looking like he is grumpy or scared or something making his erup noise.

4. Him screaming noise panicking or getting super upset because he is mad about something.

Anyways my mom suggested the blanket inside not me. I just wanted a cover for the outside.

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Superb Parrot (Barraband Parakeet)
I read online and saw through YouTube videos of people like Marlene Mccohen and some other YouTubers saying that dowel perches are bad for birds feet because itā€™s not always made of natural wood and if it gets stuck on their feet they can get bumble foot and other stuff.
Yes they are, you can one, but manzanita or real (safe) tree branches (look up safe trees and how to prepare them for use) the blanket is not a good idea. Your bird can eat parts of it and get impacted with the material. Think of your bird as a 7 month old baby crawling on the floor. Anything it can find to put in its mouth it may.

Most Reactions

Latest posts