How Much Time is Enough

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I'm wondering whether Freddie is getting enough interaction. His day starts at 8AM...he's brought out of the sleep room to his bigger day cage. He has breakfast. We talk a little. I have tea, and shower. The little guys get flying time....Levi gets window perch time, which he loves. This usually lasts for about two hours...sometimes more, depending on their mood. Freddie gets talked to, while he waits his turn. Around 1:30, Fred's cage door is opened. He spends the next couple of hours either out or in his cage...it's his choice. He spends as much time in, as he does out, but the door is open. Around 5PM is supper...all birds in cages. After supper, Freddie gets moved into his sleep cage, with door open,and spends time in the kitchen with me, while I make and clean up from supper. Again, I'm talking to him....At 6PM, Fred is wheeled into the sleep room...he's usually yawning and preening around this time. It's quiet time, in there, and blinds get drawn at 8PM.

I've had Freddie almost a month, and there's little hands on interaction. I do move him from cage to cage...but that's about it. I sit in front of his cage sometimes, and give him an opportunity to sit on me, but he's not really interested.

On nice days, all birds spend most of the day on the patio in the sun. They're caged, so it's not really out of cage time, but at least, it's different.

Do you think he's getting enough attention...

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
It sounds like he's getting enough to do which I think is the most important thing. As far as interaction time it's up to you. obviously the more interaction the more he'll respond and bond to you but if he appears to be happy and your happy then he's fine.
Some birds crave attention more than others, I'm not sure what Amazons are like in that regard. My Ecky is quite happy just to be near me and out of the cage. On rare occations she come ove for some attention where as the too comes over asking for scratches and climbs up for cuddles and needs to have that one-on-one contstantly.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Freddie is definitely getting enough love and attention. Perhaps he needs more time to adjust. A month is short while, for a bird to absorb the new environment. His entire life style has been changed.
As Mel mentioned some birds crave more attention than others.
Sounds like you are doing a splendid job, being his guardian.
One day at a time, when he is ready and willing, he will let you know

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
It's all good as far as I'm concerned.
smile.png

I don't want a Velcro boy...Levi is my cuddler, so I don't really need another.
rolleyes.gif

I just spent a half hour in the sleep room before their bedtime. I offered Freddie a time out...used a stick perch as I always do...he's quite used to it now, and I'm much more comfortable when he's steady. He climbed to his cage top, spent a few minutes, then went back in. Levi then had shoulder time, and Freddie was "hunched" doing a little wing flutter, almost as if he wanted something. I think maybe he wants what Levi's getting, but gets scared when I offer. I don't allow him my shouder, and he knows that now, but he's welcome to my knee, or my arm. Maybe he feels al ittle discomfort from me as well, as he still makes me a little nervous, sometimes...

If it never goes beyond this, I'll be happy. I have my pretty little fliers(Abbey, Sadie, Charlie) who sing sweetly, I have my cuddlebug(Levi), and I have my brilliant beautiful Fred...

I just want to be sure that Freddie is getting what he needs.

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
It sounds like you're doing a great job and he's happy & healthy. As Ant said it's still early days.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I agree - it sounds like you're doing a great job with him.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Thought I should mention the meaning of time. Mishka is now 2 years and 8 months old. She has been on her playpen since very young. About 6 months ago, she only begin to climb off and freely walks around in the lounge. I did take her into the kitchen, on a few occasion, she was not a happy birdie. Only recently did she begin to go into the kitchen. Many times she stood at the door, watching us. Eventually when she felt confident and safe enough. Now she is so curious and excited, Mishka runs in to see what is going on.
I firmly believe one day at a time, LoL it took Mishka just over 6 months to feel comfortable enough to make that trip on her own.

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
OK....Thanks so much!

It surprises me that it can take so long for him to be comfortable. That's OK with me...I just wanted to make sure I was giving him enough. I'm more used to Levi, who takes all of 20sec. to get brave with something new. There's not a fearful bone in his body! LOL!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
OK....Thanks so much!

It surprises me that it can take so long for him to be comfortable. That's OK with me...I just wanted to make sure I was giving him enough. I'm more used to Levi, who takes all of 20sec. to get brave with something new. There's not a fearful bone in his body! LOL!

Amazing how all birds differ from one another.
Place a new toy in Mishka's cage, after 5 minutes it looks like a dilapidated broken object. :eek:

Most Reactions