How to a capture someone's pet budgie / parakeet

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
The budgie has been reunited with her family. They only lived a couple of miles from my home. They have a young daughter (about 4 years old) and her Mom was cleaning the cage, the young girl thought she would help Mom and opened the cage door, meanwhile the screen door to the back of the house was open to let the dog out and that is when the bird flew out the door.

Mom was telling me her young daughter cried and thought she would never see "Sunny" again. They were very thankful for my efforts on capturing her along with taking care of her. Mom wanted to give me a reward. Of course I declined but I did tell her to perhaps make a donation to a parrot rescue group. My reward was seeing "Sunny" reunited with her family.

A very happy ending.
Hero much?

Well you are one.....

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
2 year old green parakeet named Byrdie.
I managed to catch him/her after a rain storm that came through my area around 4 pm. It was still flying well so I am going to assume that it took shelter somewhere during the storm. My brother came by with a good sized fish net that he uses for his aquariums and that is how I caught it. I put a small bowl of seed on the patio table, and I caught it while it was eating. I currently have it in my cockatiels travel cage. It's eating well and it seems to be doing fine. Just glad that it's back inside and out of the elements. My fear is that I have red tail and coopers hawks flying around, I did not want this budgie to be a casualty.

I did post it on the 911 parrot alert and lost and found pets on facebook.
Yea! So excited you caught him!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Niner10Tango Proffesional bird rescuer. 🧑‍🚒🦜🚰

That is so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The budgie probably didn't fly to far.

I'd post some local flyers without a picture and if the person can describe the bird, coloring, etc. Then it's probably the owner. "Budgie found" you wouldn't even have to use your number, notify the police/fire department that you found a bird and give thier non emergency number to anyone missing one and they can relay for you.

Also thanks everyone, esp you DonnaBudgie for not lambasting me and backing me up in my post.
Thanks Clark-conure! The problems with waiting for a thunderstorm rather than taking out a hose are 1. The storm must have great timing, and 2. The sound of a thunderstorm may spook the bird to fly away before the skies open up. Rescuing escapee parrots requires quick thinking and reliable methods. Unless the climate is ideal, an un-rescued runaway parrot will soon perish.

Most Reactions