How to a capture someone's pet budgie / parakeet

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
View attachment 52824

Found this little one flying around in my backyard. I did manage to lure the parakeet down with budgie sounds from youtube playing on my cell phone. I gave it some cockatiel seed and it she/he ate it well. When my air conditioner condenser kicked on, the bird got spooked, flew to the top of my house then to my pine tree. I tried the youtube budgie sounds again and the this poor little thing will not leave the tree. Ladder will not work, it's higher than my ladder.

I did put a spare cage and a blanket out this morning before I left for work. Hoping that I can get this poor bird caged. This is someone's pet. I did post on Facebook that it was found and my location. Praying that someone see's the post and comes by to get their pet. I would hate to see it be a casualty of a coopers or a red tail hawk that usually hang out in my neighborhood.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
View attachment 52824

Found this little one flying around in my backyard. I did manage to lure the parakeet down with budgie sounds from youtube playing on my cell phone. I gave it some cockatiel seed and it she/he ate it well. When my air conditioner condenser kicked on, the bird got spooked, flew to the top of my house then to my pine tree. I tried the youtube budgie sounds again and the this poor little thing will not leave the tree. Ladder will not work, it's higher than my ladder.

I did put a spare cage and a blanket out this morning before I left for work. Hoping that I can get this poor bird caged. This is someone's pet. I did post on Facebook that it was found and my location. Praying that someone see's the post and comes by to get their pet. I would hate to see it be a casualty of a coopers or a red tail hawk that usually hang out in my neighborhood.
Oh what rotten luck your AC kicked in at just the wrong moment and spooked him! Have you checked out the Parrot Alert 911 website linked below to see if he's been listed as lost?

Poor little fellow, I hope you can catch him and reunite him with his family! 💖

OP
Niner10Tango

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Oh what rotten luck your AC kicked in at just the wrong moment and spooked him! Have you checked out the Parrot Alert 911 website linked below to see if he's been listed as lost?

Poor little fellow, I hope you can catch him and reunite him with his family! 💖
Thanks for supplying me the link. I will definitely post it the pic once I get a decent one. I am the first one to admit, I do not take pictures very well. I shake to much. My hubby is at home trying to get him/her to come back down and get some seed. I would love to this parakeet reunited with it's family.

OP
Niner10Tango

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
This pic was taken this morning

Attachments

• Budgie (2).jpg
    Budgie (2).jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 30
OP
Niner10Tango

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
This is the pic sitting on the gutter of my garage before it flew down to get some seed. I had a clear bowl on the patio table so it's in view for this beauty. I told hubby to turn the air conditioner off. Wish us luck and hope he gets captured this morning. There is a domestic parrot rescue nearby our home. We are hoping to take it there and perhaps they can reunite this little one with it's family.

budgie choir

Jul 1, 2023
Parrots
Budgies: Yoko, Dreamy, Ono, Jeter, Liilly, Primrose, Pegasus
View attachment 52824

View attachment 52824

this is an amazing story this bird and you are on your way t the most beautiful relationship.....keep doing what you are doing.....you are amazing....
likely someone just let him out...people do that instead of rehoming....soooooooo sad....
they love millet spray....LOVE
so only when you are there to close the door on the cage put the millet in....otherwise keep the door open when you are going it will go in and out get used to it....and the srroundings...then when you are home put millet in walk away put a rope on the end of the cage door so when you are hiding and it goes in you can close the door with the rope....

this forum is amazing with amazing bird folks....you def came to right place...

i love your heart...

so much bird love-
from the flock and cricket

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I almost don't want to write this as I'm going to get lambasted by the community....

Budgies do not fly well when wet. And tend to fly down. I noticed after they followed the other parrots, took a bath then were like crap I can't get as much lift.

I'm going to get killed in the comments I know...but if it saves a bird... I have 6 budgies and just saying as an observation this is true and.......I'm going to just stop there.

I'm not saying shoot the bird with a garden hose but a bird bath or a rain sprinkle....be creative.

Last edited:
OP
Niner10Tango

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
I managed to catch him/her after a rain storm that came through my area around 4 pm. It was still flying well so I am going to assume that it took shelter somewhere during the storm. My brother came by with a good sized fish net that he uses for his aquariums and that is how I caught it. I put a small bowl of seed on the patio table, and I caught it while it was eating. I currently have it in my cockatiels travel cage. It's eating well and it seems to be doing fine. Just glad that it's back inside and out of the elements. My fear is that I have red tail and coopers hawks flying around, I did not want this budgie to be a casualty.

I did post it on the 911 parrot alert and lost and found pets on facebook.

Attachments

• Budge3.jpg
    Budge3.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
OP
Niner10Tango

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
I almost don't want to write this as I'm going to get lambasted by the community....

Budgies do not fly well when wet. And tend to fly down. I noticed after they followed the other parrots, took a bath then were like crap I can't get as much lift.

I'm going to get killed in the comments I know...but if it saves a bird... I have 6 budgies and just saying as an observation this is true and.......I'm going to just stop there.

I'm not saying shoot the bird with a garden hose but a bird bath or a rain sprinkle....be creative.
I totally get what your saying. It's better than being a meal for a red tail or coopers hawk.

OP
Niner10Tango

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
What a cutie! I hope you catch him soon.
Was able to catch that little character yesterday afternoon after a thunderstorm. Had to call my brother to have him bring me a fish net that he uses for his aquariums. This bird did not want anything to do with the cage. Just glad that it's inside and doing fine.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Was able to catch that little character yesterday afternoon after a thunderstorm. Had to call my brother to have him bring me a fish net that he uses for his aquariums. This bird did not want anything to do with the cage. Just glad that it's inside and doing fine.
I was going to suggest using a water hose and a long handled net but I thought others would find it cruel. One of my untame budgies escaped several years ago and my husband saw her sitting 25 feet up on a tree branch. She was not coming down on her own. He took a pressurized water tank and "shot" her out of the tree and I was able to catch her because she was too wet to fly. To me, letting the poor bird starve or get eaten by a predator would be much crueler. He's absolutely adorable and I'm so happy he's safe now!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I was going to suggest using a water hose and a long handled net but I thought others would find it cruel. One of my untame budgies escaped several years ago and my husband saw her sitting 25 feet up on a tree branch. She was not coming down on her own. He took a pressurized water tank and "shot" her out of the tree and I was able to catch her because she was too wet to fly. To me, letting the poor bird starve or get eaten by a predator would be much crueler. He's absolutely adorable and I'm so happy he's safe now!
I think you did a WONDERFUL thing catching the escaped budgie. I don't know if you will ever find it's owner but it makes me want to shout from the rooftops "DON'T WORRY! YOUR BIRDIE IS SAFE" as a message to people who are tormenting themselves with thoughts of their escaped birds freezing to death, starving, or being eaten by predators- the chances are very good that their birds were found and are safe, even if they never get reunited.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Niner10Tango Proffesional bird rescuer. 🧑‍🚒🦜🚰

That is so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The budgie probably didn't fly to far.

I'd post some local flyers without a picture and if the person can describe the bird, coloring, etc. Then it's probably the owner. "Budgie found" you wouldn't even have to use your number, notify the police/fire department that you found a bird and give thier non emergency number to anyone missing one and they can relay for you.

Also thanks everyone, esp you DonnaBudgie for not lambasting me and backing me up in my post.

OP
Niner10Tango

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Niner10Tango Proffesional bird rescuer. 🧑‍🚒🦜🚰

That is so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The budgie probably didn't fly to far.

I'd post some local flyers without a picture and if the person can describe the bird, coloring, etc. Then it's probably the owner. "Budgie found" you wouldn't even have to use your number, notify the police/fire department that you found a bird and give thier non emergency number to anyone missing one and they can relay for you.

Also thanks everyone, esp you DonnaBudgie for not lambasting me and backing me up in my post.
I would not call myself a Profession Bird Rescuer.. It took me two days to capture her.

I did make a facebook post in my local missing lost pet forum along with a post on 911 parrot alert. I have reached out to the local parrot rescue in my area and I will probably bring her there this afternoon.

She is quick and is a great flyer. I sure do hope that she gets reunited with her family. If they are not willing to take her, my brother already told me that he may want to adopt her. He mentioned lets go through the protocols first and then he would consider brining her home.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
If no one comes forward......

Seems like you and bro already like this bird.

Giving it a good home is honorable and you shouldn't feel bad if you tried to find the owner and no one came forward. (For all you know they just let it out.)

Just take care of it the best you can.

OP
Niner10Tango

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
If no one comes forward......

Seems like you and bro already like this bird.

Giving it a good home is honorable and you shouldn't feel bad if you tried to find the owner and no one came forward. (For all you know they just let it out.)

Just take care of it the best you can.
I feel as though as a bird and an animal lover, I only think it's the right thing to do.

My brother told me if the parakeet isn't claimed by Sunday (tomorrow), he is going to take it. So, my cockatiel has his roommate for another day.

OP
Niner10Tango

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
The budgie has been reunited with her family. They only lived a couple of miles from my home. They have a young daughter (about 4 years old) and her Mom was cleaning the cage, the young girl thought she would help Mom and opened the cage door, meanwhile the screen door to the back of the house was open to let the dog out and that is when the bird flew out the door.

Mom was telling me her young daughter cried and thought she would never see "Sunny" again. They were very thankful for my efforts on capturing her along with taking care of her. Mom wanted to give me a reward. Of course I declined but I did tell her to perhaps make a donation to a parrot rescue group. My reward was seeing "Sunny" reunited with her family.

A very happy ending.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
The budgie has been reunited with her family. They only lived a couple of miles from my home. They have a young daughter (about 4 years old) and her Mom was cleaning the cage, the young girl thought she would help Mom and opened the cage door, meanwhile the screen door to the back of the house was open to let the dog out and that is when the bird flew out the door.

Mom was telling me her young daughter cried and thought she would never see "Sunny" again. They were very thankful for my efforts on capturing her along with taking care of her. Mom wanted to give me a reward. Of course I declined but I did tell her to perhaps make a donation to a parrot rescue group. My reward was seeing "Sunny" reunited with her family.

A very happy ending.
Oh that's fantastic news, @Niner10Tango!! I'm SOOOOO happy for Sunny and her family - congratulations on a job very well done!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Oh yay! So glad you were able to catch the baby and reunite with the family!

Most Reactions

Latest posts