How to coax a parrot to use a conditioning perch.

legal_eagle

Banned
Banned
Feb 28, 2013
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Pee-Wee
I have a 14 year old GCC who is pretty stuck in her ways at this point I think. I recently bought her a safety pumice perch to keep her nails trimmed because she does not like the clipping experience at all, but she basically refuses to go on it. I've tried moving it higher and lower, placing a favorite toy over, and so forth, but she still does all she can to avoid that perch. I was curious if anyone has had luck getting a reluctant parrot to use a conditioning or pumice perch? Do you think maybe she would take more easily to a more natural looking conditioning perch (the pumice perches don't look much like branches)?

Thanks much!

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
We got our African Brown head to use hers by putting it near her treat/fruit dish. She was reluctant at first but now uses it all the time.

That being said, my amazon refuses to have anything to do with it, he hates all sticks and new perches and will avoid the whole area of the cage where it is.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Sandy's right, often if you place it so it must be used to get to its water or food dish, it will get used, but then, as has been mentioned, some birds try to avoid them...and...some birds will use te concrete pedi perches & refuse the pumice/lava perches.....

Most Reactions