Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Snowy doesn't do well in cold weather, and I don't know how to help her other than covering the cage. Please note that as a South African I may not have access to special heating equipment designed for birds..

TIA

PyroParrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Dec 30, 2021
Parrots
Sunny: Sun conure, hatch 2/2021
Is there any way you could put a plug in heater by the cage? Something like a ā€˜no-open elementsā€™ radiant type heater? maybe you could rig something over the top so Snowy canā€™t land on it? I have one of those heating ā€˜plateā€™ type things that you attach to the inside of the cage and they can snuggle up to it, but donā€™t know if you could get one where you are. Got it on Amazonā€¦

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Is there any way you could put a plug in heater by the cage? Something like a ā€˜no-open elementsā€™ radiant type heater? maybe you could rig something over the top so Snowy canā€™t land on it? I have one of those heating ā€˜plateā€™ type things that you attach to the inside of the cage and they can snuggle up to it, but donā€™t know if you could get one where you are. Got it on Amazonā€¦
I'll have to ship it here if I get it on Amazon and the cold wheather will be over by then, probably. And it'll be expensive.. I have a natural rope perch that may help but that's it...

Oh the lack of bird products here.. :(

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Portable oil-filled electric heaters work well for birds! No toxic outgassing, variable heat settings.
17895622.jpg

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Portable oil-filled electric heaters work well for birds! No toxic outgassing, variable heat settings.
17895622.jpg
I may have one of those, thanks! :)

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
17895622.jpg
Scott, thanks so much for the suggestion, I used the oil heater yesterday and it worked perfectly!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I love my oil heaters - I don't think I could live happily in Minnesota without them :)

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
another suggestion too if u have windows or doors leading outside near the cage sometimes those get SUPER drafty so sometimes just moving the cage away from a window or door can help a little bit too

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I used to cover drafty windows with cling film in winter. Otherwise it seemed like it wouldā€™ve been miserable.

I think that wrapping a cage in a towel or sheet can help keep heat inside and keep drafts off the bird.

Most Reactions