Hug your bird

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
I'm having a really really rough week..one of those weeks where everything bad that could possibly happen happens.

Well..I had a break down last night and just started bawling right by Kiwi's play stand. She clambered all the way down from the top of the play stand and stood at the edge of the stand and just looked at me , almost questioningly. I offered her my finger and she climbed up my arm to my shoulder and just sat there pressed up next to my cheek the whole time. I felt better right away.

For such a small bird she has such a big heart. It amazes me everyday how much our birds give to us, even on a subconscious level.

Everyone go and hug your bird and tell them how much you love them, because they sure love you!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm sorry you are having a bad week. :( Yes, our birds are incredibly intuned with our emotions, and it's truly amazing how much better they can make us feel.

Hugs to you! AND hugs to precious Kiwi for making you feel better. :)

Birdbrain91

Dec 6, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Apollo (A bossy YSGCC) Cleo (Sun Conure) Wesley (B&G Macaw)
I'm sorry your having a bad week I hope it gets better. It just make your heat melt when they do something like that. Good job Kiwi :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What a sweetheart Kiwi is:) I am so sorry your week has been bad, am hoping it gets better quickly. I am now off to hug my babies:)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I think animals sense our emotions. They know when we're calm and they know when we're distressed. Kiwi sounds like an awesome bird.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
I hope your week is getting better. It is such a blessing to have our sensitve loving fids to comfort and distract us when we need it. good job Kiwi !!!!

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Always good to share a cry with a beloved pet. They don't have to say anything, they just have to be there.

I hope things improve.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Aw :( I hope your week starts to improve!! Kiwi is a sweet girl, they really know when something is wrong!

Like Tessie said, they don't have to say a single word, but just being there somehow makes us feel better!

I remember when i was upset and crying one day with my knees curled up to my chest, Fargo just came and sat on my knee.. Didn't move.. Just sat there and looked at me..

Same goes for my horses, i went and slept in one of my horses stable one night, he just stood next to me with his head leaning down so i could pat him :eek:

They really do understand when something is wrong !

Fingers crossed your week brightens up, just give Kiwi lots of cuddles ;)

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Oooh how I know the feeling!

I'm so sorry you are having such a cruddy week. I've had a few strings in a row I swear...so one day, after work, on the verge of tears, it was only going to take one microscopic thing to break me...

I'm washing the dishes, wallowing in my self pity and there is Charlie, the tiel I rescued 2 1/2 years ago...he's behind me on their play area..."Hello! I La Chew! Kiss kiss kiss....Which is I love you! After he says...kiss kiss kiss...makes the kissing sound 3 times too!

Anyway...if he was hand tame, I'd have snuggled right up to him...instead I told him "Thank you Charlie! I Love you tooo! Kiss kiss kiss! :D

Somehow, he knew that's what I needed to hear.

I sure hope your week turns around and things get on the up and up for you.

Sometimes you just have to experience the bad times to fully appreciate the good I guess.

Take care,

Toni

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Kiwi is a champion! How lucky are you to have a little mate who can read you so well? I'm sorry about your rotten week, but there's always next week and in the meanwhile, there's chocolate. Why don't you get a pound or two and self-medicate for a while?

I would love to do as you say and go hug my birds - but they would bite me. Instead, I'll go and give them a lick of honey to remind them their Mummy loves them. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts