I got a Green Cheek Conure from my friend and I need help.

unburiedpup

Jan 24, 2023
Parrots
Aristotle
Hi, so I should’ve made this account when I first got him, but last Monday, I was given a Green Cheek Conure by my friend because she wasn’t able to care for him anymore. I named him Aristotle because her family would only call him “bird”. I am trying to ween him off of a seed only diet to a mainly pellet diet and I also give him some chop before I head of to school or work. I took out all of the roped toys and his cuddle hut that my friend had in the cage because he was eating the fibers and he seemed to be doing fine the first few days. He would let my pet and preen his head and the back of his neck, but since Friday he has been aggressive. He won’t let me change his food and water without trying to bite me, he screams at people walking towards his cage and anytime anyone other than myself enter the room. I don’t know if it’s because he doesn’t trust enough yet or if he’s just lonely. He’s is the only bird I’ve ever actually owned (my mother had a bird when I was younger, but it wasn’t a conure). Can anyone give me any tips on how to gain his trust?

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
How long has he been home with you? He allowed you to pet him before or after you got him home? Any changes you can think of that occurred Friday? New people in the house, change of routine, etc?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’m guessing Aristotle was on his best behavior because he was scared. Now he’s settling in and being a bit naughty just like a kid who has gotten to know the baby sitter or foster parents.

Don’t be discouraged! It’s good that he’s not behaving out of fear. You just need to make friends with him. This means by feeding him treats from your hand and teaching him to step up, to begin with.

I would find a food that he really likes and only feed it from your fingertips or hand. When he takes it, don’t grab at him. Tell him what a good bird he is. Talk softly to him.

OP
unburiedpup

unburiedpup

Jan 24, 2023
Parrots
Aristotle
How long has he been home with you? He allowed you to pet him before or after you got him home? Any changes you can think of that occurred Friday? New people in the house, change of routine, etc?
Well, I got him last Monday, January 16, and he let me pet him while he still lived with my friend, but even more so after I brought him home. Since then, I’ve just been going to school on the weekdays and he seemed fine with that, after all, he’s probably used to it because my friend also went to school. However, when I left for work on Friday, he seemed to be a bit grumpy, but I thought it was just because he didn’t like the shows I left on for him, so I changed it to a 10 hour video of just music, not loud music either. My shift was only for four hours that day so I thought he would be fine with that. Around 8:00 pm I texted my father to turn off the tv and lamp so he could go to sleep, and when I got home at 10:30 pm I slept in the living room because I didn’t want to wake him up. But when I went to check on him in the morning, he started biting me.

OP
unburiedpup

unburiedpup

Jan 24, 2023
Parrots
Aristotle
I’m guessing Aristotle was on his best behavior because he was scared. Now he’s settling in and being a bit naughty just like a kid who has gotten to know the baby sitter or foster parents.

Don’t be discouraged! It’s good that he’s not behaving out of fear. You just need to make friends with him. This means by feeding him treats from your hand and teaching him to step up, to begin with.

I would find a food that he really likes and only feed it from your fingertips or hand. When he takes it, don’t grab at him. Tell him what a good bird he is. Talk softly to him.
Ahh Okok thank you. I feel much better knowing that it’s because he’s settling in nicely.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You have to remember that parrots experience a full range of emotions, and are very able to get angry or harbor resentment. Be patient! Parrot ownership is like a marathon not a sprint and parrots rate of accepting new things is GLACIAL when compared to our quick monkey-brains. Little steps at a time and be prepared for set backs. But be assured that we are all here to support you! Thats what ParrotForums is all about

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I agree with everything already covered. Slow everything down. If you go through the changes that your little one has had to experience in a very few days you can understand the confusion. You have changed his home, the people around him, his food, taken away the toys he probably like the best. Imagine how you might feel if you were suddenly taken away from everything you know , got fed all new stuff and had none of your property with you. No wonder he doesn't want you near his cage or him. He's worried at what else will disappear.

Like Wrench said pretend you have never met before. Go back to doing everything to make friends including staying at a distance if that makes him feel easier. You sound as if you are already becoming aware of his body language to be able to judge how he is feeling but make a real study of it so you can get inside his head. It will take time, lots of it, but will be so worth it when suddenly he recognises that you are a real friend. Spend as much time as you can with him just chatting, even if it's just talking about your homework. He won't care as long as he can hear your voice. You are out a lot so when others approach him let them only offer treats as long as he is the one to approach. Hang in there he sounds lovely.

Most Reactions

Latest posts