I killed my sweet baby

Squeekerer

Sep 1, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
The title really says it all. This morning I woke up per usual and went to let my birds out of their cages, but sunset was missing. I figured she was cuddled up in blankets or by a stuffed animal on my bed so I went to find her and she still wasnā€™t there. Then I remembered I hadnā€™t put her in her cage. I was too tired and too lazy to walk the 6 feet to put her in her cage. As soon as I remembered I frantically searched my bed. Then I realized my hood of my jacket felt heavier. I checked and there she was. All cuddled up at the bottom, looking so happy and peaceful, head still tucked under wing and one foot still curled up by her body. I killed her. The bird I love so much, who does everything with me. Who would make kissy noises whenever I was holding her, and little goose noises when she was happy. She was only 2. She was just growing her flight feathers back. I just moved and started college. For the first time it was just me and my birds and I killed sunset.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
The title really says it all. This morning I woke up per usual and went to let my birds out of their cages, but sunset was missing. I figured she was cuddled up in blankets or by a stuffed animal on my bed so I went to find her and she still wasnā€™t there. Then I remembered I hadnā€™t put her in her cage. I was too tired and too lazy to walk the 6 feet to put her in her cage. As soon as I remembered I frantically searched my bed. Then I realized my hood of my jacket felt heavier. I checked and there she was. All cuddled up at the bottom, looking so happy and peaceful, head still tucked under wing and one foot still curled up by her body. I killed her. The bird I love so much, who does everything with me. Who would make kissy noises whenever I was holding her, and little goose noises when she was happy. She was only 2. She was just growing her flight feathers back. I just moved and started college. For the first time it was just me and my birds and I killed sunset.
Welcome to the forums, @Squeekerer, though I am truly sorry to hear of the devastating accident that has brought you here. And an accident is what it was, because you never intended for this terrible thing to happen, and your Sunset knows this and would not want you to blame yourself - though I know that is SO much easier said than done. I'm so glad you found us, because so many other members of this community have suffered similar loss, or like me have lost precious ones through heartbreaking journeys caused by protracted medical conditions, and we very well understand how much it hurts to lose them. I pray that the cherished memories you have of Sunset will sustain you through this unimaginably difficult time when your grief is so very raw, and that you might draw some comfort from the support of this community as so many others have, including me. Please accept my deepest condolences for Sunset's loss, even though her life was short, both her life and her love are gifts that will last for all eternity.

Godspeed precious Sunset, until we all meet again at the Rainbow Bridge, and I know that we will šŸ™šŸŒˆ

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Iā€™m very sorry to hear about the loss of your feathered friend. Itā€™s never easy saying goodbye. Especially when you are full of guilt, and regret. Accidents truly do happen. Sunset was cared for, and you obviously let her out of her cage to enjoy life.

Iā€™ll keep you, and your flock in my thoughts.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry for your loss of Sunset. It was an accident and my heart breaks for you.
Keeping you in my thoughts and sending many prayers of comfort to you.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I am so sorry šŸ˜­šŸ˜­ I cannot fathom how guilty you are feeling.. please take care of yourself

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Oh that's harsh, my condolences. I know the guilt you are feeling I've had birds escape on me before. But accidents happen and we can't beat up ourselves over it. Just learn from it, become stronger and wiser.

Most Reactions

Latest posts