Makita

Sep 8, 2009
Central Florida
Parrots
Makita-Blue Front Amazon
Charley-Orange Winged Amazon
Oliver-Blue Crowned Conure
2 Cockatiels~Loochi and Winks
Hi all. I am new here, and am looking for some advice from more experienced bird owners.
I currently have 4 healthy birds (Blue Front Amazon, Blue Crowned Conure, and 2 Cockatiels). My other critters include 4 dogs and 1 cat!!
I got a call from a friend of mine who has no bird experience at all. Her father passed away, and she had to remove an Orange Winged Amazon named Charley, and two filthy matted dogs. She is a dog rescue person, so the dogs have been placed and are being vetted. I drove 3 hours yesterday to get Charley.
Charley was in a small trailer home, which was filthy, smelled of urine, smoke, feces, you name it :mad: I have never experienced a place like this, only seen them on TV. Charley was in the filthiest cage and eating a diet of sunflower seeds. Charley is 30 years old or more.
I got Charley out of the cage and into a carrier as quick as I could and got out of there!!!:eek:
Charley does have an appointment with the vet on Wednesday. But, I just thought I would ask......Charley seems to be laboring to breathe (no doubt from that house!!). She wheezes and breathes thru her mouth. She did have some veggies today, and some pellets and fun seed stuff, so her appetite seems encouraging. She is kept in another room away from my other birds and will remain there if necessary always. Has anyone here ever rescued a severely neglected bird before?? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!:green:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I can't say I have had a bird from such a situation - but I have helped with rehab'ing other animals. Best I can say is first things first: get a full check up at the vet and treat all the medical problems (which is sounds like there is at least one, maybe more). Frankly it is amazing that a bird even survived in that environment at all. Rescuing him from there is a really great thing - however I hope you've realized what a task it may be getting him treated and healthy again.

Anyhow, there will likely be some behavioral issues to work on and I hope I can be of assistance there, but it would be very difficult to do much of anything until he gets physically patched up.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
I guess I see it like pulling an old car out of a swamp: you can't expect a realistic estimate on the body work until you've at least hosed off all the mud.

I look forward to hearing the results from the vet visit.

OP
M

Makita

Sep 8, 2009
Central Florida
Parrots
Makita-Blue Front Amazon
Thanks for the reply Auggie's Dad! I, too, am interested in the vets advice. I can't believe Charley survived those conditions either. Charley is stick and hand tame, but does not want to be touched. I have yet to hear a good loud scream!:D Hopefully all goes well at the vet today. I will let you all know the outcome.
Oh, and I liked your description of the car being pulled out of the swamp!!! LOL!! Perfect!;)

OP
M

Makita

Sep 8, 2009
Central Florida
Parrots
Makita-Blue Front Amazon
Just returned from the vet with Charley. Charley is indeed an Orange Winged Amazon. The vet is concerned about a respiratory infection of some sort. The did a Gram stain, and said it appeared okay. For now Charley got a shot of antibiotics, and will get 10 days antiobiotics in her water. They want to wait until Charley is less stressed out and see us again in a month. Charley was obviously stressed out being held in the towel and began panting and wheezing :(. The vet didn't even want to trim her nails yet or do wings. But, visually, the vet was pleased with Charley's weight (by feel, as we couldn't really weigh her), eyes, nose and feet!!!;) Next visit they want to do a blood profile, fecal test, and test for ptsitticosis (I can say it, not spell it!).:green2:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Sounds like good news overall.

Just give her time to settle in now. Often coming from such a bad environment there will be huge changes in them just by seeing they are now in a safe healthy place with clean water and good food. Patience is key.

OP
M

Makita

Sep 8, 2009
Central Florida
Parrots
Makita-Blue Front Amazon
I hope Charley can eventually live in the back sunroom with the other birds for company!! Her life is looking sunnier already!

Most Reactions