Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi everyone, hope you guys are doing well.

Sunny, my female show budgie, is almost 5 years old. She has diabetes, along with other health problems, and she is unable to fly. I've also noticed she also shivers a lot and can't preen herself well.

I'm really unsure how to help her. I've asked my parents multiple times if I can bring her to a vet again, but they just ignore me or tell me that she's fine, when really her condition is deteriorating. I'm worried that she might not live much longer

Is there anything I can do for her in the meantime to help her? I have already seperated her and put her in her own cage but I'm really lost. I don't have a lot of experience with older birds and I don't know how to care for them.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

ALSO WORTH MENTIONING: about a few weeks ago she got attacked by my dog after she escaped. No blood, but she was still terrified after that. My parents said brining her to a vet is useless and won't do anything. Things were already going downhill before that, so I'm not sure if it impacted her health in any way

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Putting her in her own cage was a very good idea. Keep one corner of the cage covered with a blanket so that she can hide and it also might help her stay warmer. If she’s shivering, make sure the room is warm enough; diabetes can sometimes cause animals to lose weight so she could get cold more easily. Try to get her to eat and drink. Consider placing a towel under the paper at the bottom of her cage so that if she gets weak and falls off her perch she will have a softer landing. Give her lots of love ❤️ It’s always hard when our beloved pets aren’t feeling well, and I can tell you care a lot about Sunny. ☀️

Psittacages&perches

Dec 21, 2023
Montreal
Parrots
I had conures, amazons, african greys, cockatiels, budgies, poicephalus senegalensis, parakeets..
Hi everyone, hope you guys are doing well.

Sunny, my female show budgie, is almost 5 years old. She has diabetes, along with other health problems, and she is unable to fly. I've also noticed she also shivers a lot and can't preen herself well.

I'm really unsure how to help her. I've asked my parents multiple times if I can bring her to a vet again, but they just ignore me or tell me that she's fine, when really her condition is deteriorating. I'm worried that she might not live much longer

Is there anything I can do for her in the meantime to help her? I have already seperated her and put her in her own cage but I'm really lost. I don't have a lot of experience with older birds and I don't know how to care for them.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

ALSO WORTH MENTIONING: about a few weeks ago she got attacked by my dog after she escaped. No blood, but she was still terrified after that. My parents said brining her to a vet is useless and won't do anything. Things were already going downhill before that, so I'm not sure if it impacted her health in any way
Hello, it's better to keep her in a safe place, warm and avoid sweet and juicy fruits,
All sweet food should be avoided for all parrots, not only with diabetes, except in some cases when the parrot is sick and needs some sugar for energy, try also to give her pellets cause they are more nutritious, and green leafs , i hope it will feel better :)

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Putting her in her own cage was a very good idea. Keep one corner of the cage covered with a blanket so that she can hide and it also might help her stay warmer. If she’s shivering, make sure the room is warm enough; diabetes can sometimes cause animals to lose weight so she could get cold more easily. Try to get her to eat and drink. Consider placing a towel under the paper at the bottom of her cage so that if she gets weak and falls off her perch she will have a softer landing. Give her lots of love ❤️ It’s always hard when our beloved pets aren’t feeling well, and I can tell you care a lot about Sunny. ☀️
Yeah, I've noticed she's been losing weight lately so that's also been quite worrying for me. Thanks for the advice, I'll do all those things now.
The one thing that is odd for me is that it's peak summer where I'm at and she's still shivering, so maybe she's still getting cold for some reason? I'm not sure. I'll heat up her cage anyways

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello, it's better to keep her in a safe place, warm and avoid sweet and juicy fruits,
All sweet food should be avoided for all parrots, not only with diabetes, except in some cases when the parrot is sick and needs some sugar for energy, try also to give her pellets cause they are more nutritious, and green leafs , i hope it will feel better :)
Thank you :) I've been giving her pellets for the past few years, and it seems to be helping. I've stopped giving her all seeds since she got diagnosed with diabetes.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Yeah, I've noticed she's been losing weight lately so that's also been quite worrying for me. Thanks for the advice, I'll do all those things now.
The one thing that is odd for me is that it's peak summer where I'm at and she's still shivering, so maybe she's still getting cold for some reason? I'm not sure. I'll heat up her cage anyways
She could possibly be trembling rather than truly shivering. Trembling can be caused by many things including, fear, pain, neurological problems, organ failure, toxicity etc. But making sure she’s warm enough is a good place to start! Hoping you see some improvement ❤️

Most Reactions

Latest posts