Charlotte.lotty

May 22, 2020
Australia
Parrots
Love bird (Peachy) 2 years
Budgie (Boo) 4 years
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and I really need some advice and help!
I have two birds a budgies (boo) who's about 4 and a lovebird (peachy) who is just turning 2. During this quarantine they have been spoiled so much, they got a new cage, toys and they come out of the cage so much. But lately I just can't get peachy to trust me or even want to hang out or play with us.
I think it is because we were never able to get her out of the cage so we did something that we definitely regret witch is grabbing (gently) as that was the only way to get her out of the cage, but now I am trying a no force method with both birds and they wont do anything.

Boo is quite tame and will step up without me having to force her and also can target but every time I take her out of the cage all she wants to do is fly straight back, sit on the top of her cage and refuse to come off.

I see people who's birds just sit on them happily, want to spend time with their owners all the time, have a bond and that's what want I with my birds.

Any advice would be so helpful because I am typing this with my last hope that someone can help me because I am getting so frustrated that I just don't know if i can handle it anymore.
:whiteblue::white1:
Thanks,
Charlotte

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hi Charlotte, and welcome aboard. There's lots of helpful folks here, and I'm sure more will be along soon. In the meantime, here's something that should help.
http://www.parrotforums.com/ge...ps-bonding-building-trust.html
Trust takes time. Some are quicker than others. Bear in mind, parrots are prey animals, so have zero reason to trust humans, unless we consistently give them reason to do so. You've had a setback, but you can get it back. With some birds, and depending on the situation, you might have to start over at the beginning and work from there. Kind of a full reset. Hopefully, you won't have to go that far, but it's not the end of the world if you do. They're so worth it! A bird that truly trusts you is a whole different universe. Good luck, and never be afraid to ask questions here. This is a community of amazingly supportive people, happy to help in any way we can.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Charlotte, thanks for joining. How long have you had Peachy and Boo?

Excellent advice above!! The cage represents security and food, might use this to advantage with special treats such as bits of almonds, walnuts, or millet. Might try luring them with a favored item and reward as you move a distance from cage. Do so for short periods of time, gradually extending.

OP
C

Charlotte.lotty

May 22, 2020
Australia
Parrots
Love bird (Peachy) 2 years
Budgie (Boo) 4 years
Hi,
I have had peachy for 2 years and boo for around 4!

And i also think its a great idea to try luring!

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome to you! Lovies are known for their skittishness! Slow and steady! Remember, if you skip a day or two, don’t be dismayed by the slight setbacks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts