I rescued a sick bird from the wild

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I found a sick bird in my backyard. It was a crested pigeon, an Australian native bird...

20240328_124243.jpg

I approached it and spoke to it but it didn't even move it's eyes. It woke up when I touched it but didn't try flee. Birds are good at disguising their sickness, they'll only resort to this when their so sick they have no energy left, it's a free meal for any other animal.

So I picked it up and had a close look. I found that it's vent was blocked from poo, heaps of poo. So I cleared it's vent as best i could using a spray bottle and paper towels. It's cloaca was very swollen. I put him into a carry cage for it to rest and it did a poo, a massive poo πŸ’©. You can see it in this picture. I also noted that it's beak had poo on it, most likely from trying to clear its vent.

20240328_132617.jpg

Lucky for me there is an animal hospital nearby, they treat pets and take in injured wildlife but only if its native, lucky this crested pigeon is native, they also have an avian vet which there isn't many of in my town. I took him in and explained what had happened.
So now it's in their care, I asked them to call me and let me know of the outcome.

Now I'm left with this funny feeling that's hard to describe, it's a mixture of worry, pride, gratitude, satisfaction in helping out an animal in distress. I hope it pulls through and gets released back into the wild πŸ™

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Bless you for taking care of this precious bird, I doubt he would have survived the night without your intervention. That's wonderful that the vet took him in, I pray he makes a full recovery. Please keep us updated!
IMO, those feelings you're having shows what a kind person you are:)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I found a sick bird in my backyard. It was a crested pigeon, an Australian native bird...

View attachment 58440

I approached it and spoke to it but it didn't even move it's eyes. It woke up when I touched it but didn't try flee. Birds are good at disguising their sickness, they'll only resort to this when their so sick they have no energy left, it's a free meal for any other animal.

So I picked it up and had a close look. I found that it's vent was blocked from poo, heaps of poo. So I cleared it's vent as best i could using a spray bottle and paper towels. It's cloaca was very swollen. I put him into a carry cage for it to rest and it did a poo, a massive poo πŸ’©. You can see it in this picture. I also noted that it's beak had poo on it, most likely from trying to clear its vent.

View attachment 58442

Lucky for me there is an animal hospital nearby, they treat pets and take in injured wildlife but only if its native, lucky this crested pigeon is native, they also have an avian vet which there isn't many of in my town. I took him in and explained what had happened.
So now it's in their care, I asked them to call me and let me know of the outcome.

Now I'm left with this funny feeling that's hard to describe, it's a mixture of worry, pride, gratitude, satisfaction in helping out an animal I'm distress. I hope it pulls through and gets released back into the wild πŸ™
Lucky little guy you were there, thank you for helping him out! May i ask, which animal hospital you took him to? Because I'd like to check the list of avian vets we have compiled here on the forum to make sure they're listed - avian vets are becoming harder to find! :)

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Lucky little guy you were there, thank you for helping him out! May i ask, which animal hospital you took him to? Because I'd like to check the list of avian vets we have compiled here on the forum to make sure they're listed - avian vets are becoming harder to find! :)
It's called "Gawler Animal Hospital" in the outter northern suburbs of Adelaide.
Some other avian vets closer to town are
"Adelaide bird and exotics vet centre"
"The unusual pet vets Adelaide"
"Parra Hills vet clinic"

I think I'm the only person on this forum living in Adelaide but

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Nevertheless it's valuable info to have. Thank you, they're now on the list!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Thank you so much for doing your duty to help wildlife! I wish more people would do this! My motto is "Never turn your back on an animal in need and assume someone else will take care of it. YOU are someone."

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
What a beautiful bird! I’m glad you helped it and I hope it pulls through ❀️

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I can't believe this but I found another sick pigeon while I was taking a walk...

20240330_130442.jpg

I don't know what's wrong with this one. It's got very little energy and hardly no balance. Maybe it took some rat poison as there is some around the apartment blocks.

I think its a rock dove. The hospital is closed but if won't take in this one because it's not native but I don't care about that, to me it's still a life and it deserves a chance to live.

So I've taken it in under my wing. I've put a paper mat in the cage cos it's feet keep slipping through the gaps. Iv put it inside cos its so hot out there, it's got food and water. I hope it gets better

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh the poor thing, thank you for trying to help. And yeah, it's pretty hot today where you are, hotter than Briz Vegas! Would a wildlife rehabber take it, or do they only take native species too? Or would they at least offer you some advice over the phone?

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Oh the poor thing, thank you for trying to help. And yeah, it's pretty hot today where you are, hotter than Briz Vegas! Would a wildlife rehabber take it, or do they only take native species too? Or would they at least offer you some advice over the phone?
Yea there are some other places I can try but everything is closed until Tuesday because of Easter.

Iv rescued a few sick birds In the past but 2 in a week is extraordinary. Maybe they know I'm a bird person that will help πŸ™‚

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I wonder if there’s a virus or something going around? Years ago, we had a virus run through our local pigeon flock and wipe out about half the population πŸ™. Thanks for helping these birds and trying to make them comfortable. I hope they pull through but even if they don’t make it, at least they aren’t dying out in the heat. Oh, and yes that’s a Rock Dove, we have them all over here in the states! Very adaptable birds!

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Ok so the following morning the rock dove was wide eyed and edgy. It had plenty of strength as it tried to evade my hands kicking and flapping, so I just grabbed it, took it out and openened up my hands for it to fly up into a tall tree where it belongs... So satisfying... πŸ™‚πŸ‘

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Ok so the following morning the rock dove was wide eyed and edgy. It had plenty of strength as it tried to evade my hands kicking and flapping, so I just grabbed it, took it out and openened up my hands for it to fly up into a tall tree where it belongs... So satisfying... πŸ™‚πŸ‘
YAAAAAYYYY!! I love a good news story :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts