Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Felt like digging, so I dug. Now heā€™s got some pinecones to nom on. I also put some on some new branches I added.
IMG_7704.jpeg
IMG_7707.jpeg
IMG_7708.jpeg

Heā€™s pretty happy about this, and Iā€™m just glad I remembered anything about pinecones. Turns out if ya dig a lil, youā€™ll find a lot of pinecones that donā€™t get raked up! I also got some grit (very tiny pebbles) and put them in their own spot, just in case he needs or wants them.
IMG_7705.jpeg

Also, here is his new setup. I thought that heā€™d appreciate variety in perches (like parrots) and I was actually able to find some nice ones on trees that werenā€™t threatening to dump 100LBS of snow onto me!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
But they will eat Sunflower seeds. They come to feeders for it. Try pine nuts from the grocery store. He may love them. Most birds do.
I donā€™t think my mom would find it reasonable, given that we have seeds for cricket (who is still rejecting pellets) and I am the outdoorsy person of the house and can get outside and get some pinecones- which I did. We do have nuts like cashews, peanuts, pecans, and almonds though.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I donā€™t think my mom would find it reasonable, given that we have seeds for cricket (who is still rejecting pellets) and I am the outdoorsy person of the house and can get outside and get some pinecones- which I did. We do have nuts like cashews, peanuts, pecans, and almonds though.
It looks like your new friend is settling in nicely! I realize you may be letting him go soon but you MUST name him!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It looks like your new friend is settling in nicely! I realize you may be letting him go soon but you MUST name him!
He's definitely a sexually mature male. Looks like he's going to need a lot of pinecones so keep collecting them before they're buried too deep in the snow. He needs a good name!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Absolutely! When I was changing his food earlier, he casually climbed up my sleeve and stared at me before fluttering to the couch. Heā€™s rather tame for a wild birdā€¦ isnā€™t it bizarre?
IMG_7693.jpeg

I scooped him up and just gave him a small tour of the living room and he seemed to like it. He didnā€™t like returning to his cage though, since yk, less space and all
IMG_7695.jpeg

I have been thinking about giving him a name, but quite frankly Iā€™m atrocious at namesā€¦ look at Ricoā€™s name. His whole name is Ricochet, which isā€¦ well, an unusual name for any birdā€¦ I was thinking something that sounds nice, is nature themed, but also pink. Blossom, Quartz, Orchid, and Lotus come to mind, but Iā€™m not entirely sure they fit him wellā€¦ what do you think he looks like?
IMG_7696.jpeg

He's definitely a sexually mature male. Looks like he's going to need a lot of pinecones so keep collecting them before they're buried too deep in the snow. He needs a good name!
I was starting to question if he was female just because of the brown on his plumage. But I suppose itā€™s not the best idea to be bright reddish pink in the dead of winter lol

Definitely! Thankfully Iā€™m a strong digger and I can collect 10 pinecones in roughly 5 minutes! Even with their mild scarcity!

Absolutely! Itā€™d be a shame to have such a friendly, and passive bird go nameless, considering Iā€™m almost definitely going to remember him for a long time.

I still remember the robin fledgling from when I was 8 that I ā€œsavedā€ (I didnā€™t know what a fledgling was at the time, so I assumed it was a baby whoā€™d fallen from the nest) and fed worms for a few hours and the sparrow that our semi-outdoor cat had caught, that I tried to saveā€¦ shame I never gave either a name.
IMG_7709.jpeg

The fledgling in question:

It was so done with me lol

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Absolutely! When I was changing his food earlier, he casually climbed up my sleeve and stared at me before fluttering to the couch. Heā€™s rather tame for a wild birdā€¦ isnā€™t it bizarre?View attachment 56045
I scooped him up and just gave him a small tour of the living room and he seemed to like it. He didnā€™t like returning to his cage though, since yk, less space and all
View attachment 56046

I have been thinking about giving him a name, but quite frankly Iā€™m atrocious at namesā€¦ look at Ricoā€™s name. His whole name is Ricochet, which isā€¦ well, an unusual name for any birdā€¦ I was thinking something that sounds nice, is nature themed, but also pink. Blossom, Quartz, Orchid, and Lotus come to mind, but Iā€™m not entirely sure they fit him wellā€¦ what do you think he looks like?
View attachment 56047

I was starting to question if he was female just because of the brown on his plumage. But I suppose itā€™s not the best idea to be bright reddish pink in the dead of winter lol

Definitely! Thankfully Iā€™m a strong digger and I can collect 10 pinecones in roughly 5 minutes! Even with their mild scarcity!

Absolutely! Itā€™d be a shame to have such a friendly, and passive bird go nameless, considering Iā€™m almost definitely going to remember him for a long time.

I still remember the robin fledgling from when I was 8 that I ā€œsavedā€ (I didnā€™t know what a fledgling was at the time, so I assumed it was a baby whoā€™d fallen from the nest) and fed worms for a few hours and the sparrow that our semi-outdoor cat had caught, that I tried to saveā€¦ shame I never gave either a name.View attachment 56048
The fledgling in question:

It was so done with me lol
Females don't have the rose-pink color- just shades of brown. You should find a name you like from one of your video games or fantasy sci-fi books you read. Ricochet is a great name and so is Cricket.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Females don't have the rose-pink color- just shades of brown. You should find a name you like from one of your video games or fantasy sci-fi books you read. Ricochet is a great name and so is Cricket.
Ah, I see! I didnā€™t really look into sexual dimorphism in crossbills. Dunno why lol

Thatā€™s actually a great idea! Iā€™ve got a few in mind!

1. Ellis
2. Jambu
3. Rockwell
4. Orchid
5. Desmond
6. Keith
7. Francis (yes, this one is ironic, just like the name for Francis in L4Dā€¦
IMG_7016.jpeg
)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Ah, I see! I didnā€™t really look into sexual dimorphism in crossbills. Dunno why lol

Thatā€™s actually a great idea! Iā€™ve got a few in mind!

1. Ellis
2. Jambu
3. Rockwell
4. Orchid
5. Desmond
6. Keith
7. Francis (yes, this one is ironic, just like the name for Francis in L4Dā€¦ View attachment 56057)
You must have personal feelings for each name on the list, so I hesitate to vote for a favorite, but they are all great sounding names.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Iā€™m torn between Francis, Ellis, and Orchidā€¦ on one hand, naming a teeny tiny bird Francis, after a snarky, idiotic biker, from a gang would be really funnyā€¦ and he looks like a Francisā€¦ and the nicknames you suggested are really cute!

but on the other hand, naming a friendly bird after a friendly, goofy, southern dude, with countless silly stories is pretty fitting, but Iā€™m not 100% sure he looks like an Ellisā€¦ he does, but he also doesnā€™t, if that makes sense.

but on the third hand that I casually yoinked from someone, Orchid also fits, due to his small, delicate size, and his pinkish plumage.

Ahhhhh why is naming so hard?!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I think it's great, everything you are doing for the little guy.
But I would be careful of who you mention it to in your neighborhood.
I am not certain but I think it's illegal to keep "as pets" native animals. I recall a case local to me of a woman who had a raven and was forced to give it up. (I would love a raven but my cockatiels would object).

I say this in case it should work out that he can't be released back into the wild.
Personally I would keep him regardless of the law (if he could not go back into the wild).

Watching with great interest, keep us posted.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I think it's great, everything you are doing for the little guy.
But I would be careful of who you mention it to in your neighborhood.
I am not certain but I think it's illegal to keep "as pets" native animals. I recall a case local to me of a woman who had a raven and was forced to give it up. (I would love a raven but my cockatiels would object).

I say this in case it should work out that he can't be released back into the wild.
Personally I would keep him regardless of the law (if he could not go back into the wild).

Watching with great interest, keep us posted.
I am not saying a word to a single person in my neighborhood. Especially since thereā€™s a cop who frequents the neighborhood and is a total butthead.

Yeah, itā€™s def not legal to keep wild animals (native species) as pets or captive. You can catch a fine for it, but my parents seem to be on board with what Iā€™m doing. I do see how a raven could be VERY problematic, given they are a protected species, are quite large, and are pretty hard to hide from anyone. Not to mention the noise they make! (I too, want a raven lol)

if things go sideways, and he canā€™t be released, would I ever be able to bring him into my room with Rico and Cricket? Moving his cage to my brotherā€™s room whenever anyone cooks is getting tiring already lol And yeah, I think if he canā€™t be released Iā€™d probably keep him too.

Iā€™ll definitely keep this thread updated!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Unfortunately, itā€™s is the update I hoped I wouldnā€™t have to make, but itā€™s the unfortunate outcome.

Within the past 35 minutes, Orchid, the crossbill, had unfortunately passed away.

I came to check on him, and there he was, lying on his back, stiff and unbreathing. His corpse was still somewhat warm and he was in the beginning in the stages of rigor mortis.

So, I took him outside, and buried his body, packing the snow on his body, so that our cat cannot dig him up.

Itā€™s the unfortunate ending that I hoped would never come, but I take solace in knowing he passed on in a warm, dim, and quiet environment, with abundant food and water.

I appreciate the advice given to me hereā€¦ Thank you all.

Fly high, Orchid.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Awww. Too bad šŸ˜ž. Sadly this is so often the outcome with wild animals we try to save. As you said, the most important thing is that he died safe and comfortable. Thank you for giving him that ā¤ļø. Fly free little Orchid!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Awww. Too bad šŸ˜ž. Sadly this is so often the outcome with wild animals we try to save. As you said, the most important thing is that he died safe and comfortable. Thank you for giving him that ā¤ļø. Fly free little Orchid!
Your words are very true. It is the unfortunately common outcome, especially with avians. Orchidā€™s body has been laid to rest, and his soul shall be free and back with natureā€¦ Iā€™m gonna miss the little guy.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Unfortunately, itā€™s is the update I hoped I wouldnā€™t have to make, but itā€™s the unfortunate outcome.

Within the past 35 minutes, Orchid, the crossbill, had unfortunately passed away.

I came to check on him, and there he was, lying on his back, stiff and unbreathing. His corpse was still somewhat warm and he was in the beginning in the stages of rigor mortis.

So, I took him outside, and buried his body, packing the snow on his body, so that our cat cannot dig him up.

Itā€™s the unfortunate ending that I hoped would never come, but I take solace in knowing he passed on in a warm, dim, and quiet environment, with abundant food and water.

I appreciate the advice given to me hereā€¦ Thank you all.

Fly high, Orchid.
I'm so sorry. šŸ™ You tried. You did good. Perhaps he was injured worse than he appeared to be.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
OH NO! **Huge HUgs from farther south** . You tried your best and I'm sure the bird would understand that :) . It just sucks when they have to pass on :(

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I'm so sorry. šŸ™ You tried. You did good. Perhaps he was injured worse than he appeared to be.
In fact, I thought it was unusual that Orchid was acting so "tame" for a wild bird a day after the accident. I've "rescued" quite a few window strikers at my house and once they regained consciousness they all seemed to be in a big rush to get away from me and back into the wild. The longest it ever took was a couple hours even when they had knocked themselves out cold! If they were still alive after hitting the glass I would put them in brown paper bags to keep them calm while they awakened. Once they woke up completely and I would hear them scrambling around inside the bag I would bring the bag outside, open it, and they flew off to the nearest tree. Orchid must have had a more serious injury, perhaps a slow bleed into his brain from hitting the window, that made him unusually docile. I have heard that even when they manage to fly away they can still die even days later from a traumatic brain or spinal cord injury. I was excited to see that Orchid eating the pine cones and thought it was a good sign but I guess not. I'm glad you made his final days so calm, safe and peaceful. Thank you, Rico_Tiel, for having a good heart for taking such good care of Orchid and giving him a fair chance.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Oh Iā€™m so sorry šŸ˜ž You tried your best to help him. He went knowing your kindness and care and spent his last few days in comfort thanks to you. RIP Orchid.

Most Reactions

Latest posts