I think I made some progress with my grandma

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
So I finally got my grandma to buy some pellets for her 9 budgies well technically she has 8 and my neice has 1 but she takes care of all of them even though my neice does feed and water them on my brothers days to have her. Now my grandma hadn't had birds in over 40 years but when she did have them she had a minimum of 30 budgies at all times and she bred them. Now she has 9 wants to start breeding again but I swear it's as if she has no idea what shes doing. She doesn't know the technical colors names or patterns didn't realize that seeds are not good for them or that they should be regularly bathed or to have a really tame baby bird you need to hand feed the babies. OR that to have happy birds they need to have out of cage time which they don't get. But we did get a bag of pellets to switch over so there was at least a little bit of progress made granted its a very small amount of progress but it's progress.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Bless her soul..... When someone elderly gets an idea, very difficult to try change their minds.
Is someone able to assist her, perhaps in the afternoon, when the birds have time out their cages.
Will she be prepared to hand feed ALL the babies, cleaning the cage, bathing them as you mentioned.
Look on the bright side, you made progress with the pellets.
Keep us posted
Good luck

OP
Colorguarder08

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
She said when she bred them over 40 years ago she never hand fed them she just stuck her hands inside the cage and they would perch on her hands and she would let them out. However now she just keeps her birds in there cage never lets them out rarely interacts with them she does not want to hand feed ANY babies or bathe them. and she may be elderly but she is more than able to take care of her self she's not your typical grandma she has tons of engery and gets along just great

Most Reactions