i think this summer we are getting a parakeet

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
Not sure yet but I was thinking about it. I wanted a bird that would be ok on it's own if my taming attempts didn't work.

I can't find local breeders(we're in northwest Indiana) so looks like somewhere like petsmart or petco will be our only option. Is there any way to estimate ages so we know if we're getting babies or young adults? I was planning on getting a pair so would male/male or female/female work best...we don't want any babies?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Young budgies have the head bars/stripes all the way down to the cere (top of the beak). As they age, they lose some of those of those, so it's easy to see it is a baby compared to an adult.

It's always best to have 2 of the same gender if you don't any breeding, and they should get along fine. However, if you have 2 in the same cage, it is much harder to tame them.

OP
jewels04

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots

Young budgies have the head bars/stripes all the way down to the cere (top of the beak). As they age, they lose some of those of those, so it's easy to see it is a baby compared to an adult.

It's always best to have 2 of the same gender if you don't any breeding, and they should get along fine. However, if you have 2 in the same cage, it is much harder to tame them.

Thank you! We'll probably start them off in seperate cages because my children want smaller birds that their not scared off (JJ is a little much for them but they bond with her in their own special ways). So ofcourse my kids won't want to get "their birds" mixed up. But if I can't tame them down I might transfer them to the same cage so they have companionship with each other.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Budgies are wonderful for children. Once tame it is rare that they bite, and only it seems if they become very frightened. And they are less moody and complex than conures.

mcw009

Apr 21, 2011
VA
Parrots
Icarus the Moustached Parakeet, Smudge, Pudge (RIP), and Floki the Budgies
If you mean "mixed up" as in not being able to tell them apart, that wouldn't be an issue if you just get two different colors. Parakeets come in a practical rainbow of color morphs.

Males are supposed to be easier to tame and friendlier, and especially if you're not getting hand-reared babies, younger parakeets are much easier to tame than older ones. It's not impossible to sex immature parakeets, though it is more difficult.

Another age indicator is eye color. Young budgies have all black eyes, and as they age the iris turns white. The barring on the forehead is obviously much easier to notice, especially if you're picking from a cage full of birds.

OP
jewels04

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots

If you mean "mixed up" as in not being able to tell them apart, that wouldn't be an issue if you just get two different colors. Parakeets come in a practical rainbow of color morphs.

Males are supposed to be easier to tame and friendlier, and especially if you're not getting hand-reared babies, younger parakeets are much easier to tame than older ones. It's not impossible to sex immature parakeets, though it is more difficult.

Another age indicator is eye color. Young budgies have all black eyes, and as they age the iris turns white. The barring on the forehead is obviously much easier to notice, especially if you're picking from a cage full of birds.

No I mean mixed up as in my kids are 5 and 7 and will argue over who's is who's no matter what colors we get. This way we get 2 cages they pick their birds I say ok your bird is in this cage and yours is in this cage and no fighting over who's is who's. Trust me they can find a whole series of reasons to argue,lol.

I will look at the different stores see who I like the best but anywhere I go they are all just smashed in cages so i will have to pick from a cage full of birds.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
ask if you can put you hand in the cage, at a pet store the budgies seemed very afraid of me so i laid my hand on the bottom of the cage, within 30 seconds a bunch were nibbling and playing with the hair time on my wrist. they didnt seem tame at first but it turns out they were very curious and friendly :)

OP
jewels04

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots

ask if you can put you hand in the cage, at a pet store the budgies seemed very afraid of me so i laid my hand on the bottom of the cage, within 30 seconds a bunch were nibbling and playing with the hair time on my wrist. they didnt seem tame at first but it turns out they were very curious and friendly :)

I think with all but 1 of the stores that won't be possible. Their cages slid open so when they open the door they could all fly out. If I were getting the bird for my kids (with me being the one taking care of them) should I let them stick their hands in there or should I do it and than kinda pick some of the more friendlier ones for them to choose from?

Most Reactions