Im a student, my mom gave up to me the responsibility of her connure. I have no clue what to do

Fallez

Mar 5, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hi I guess? I don't know, I need help. My mum just gave up on her connure and I am taking care of him don't get me wrong I love and respect him but my bond with him has been deteriorating, because I try to build with him to trust my hand because he loves interacting with me but is traumatised by my mother grabbing him and force petting him (don't worry he Is safe with me now) but I have absolutely no clue what to do to help him recover and I've been searching on the Internet but it doesn't answer my question. Please. :(.

Last edited by a moderator:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi I guess? I don't know, I need help. My mum just gave up on her connure and I am taking care of him don't get me wrong I love and respect him but my bond with him has been deteriorating because I try to build with him to trust my hand because he loves interacting with me but is traumatised by my mother grabbing him and force petting him (don't worry he Is safe with me now) but I have absolutely no clue what to do to help him recover and I've been searching on the Internet but it doesn't answer my question. Please. :(.
Hi, very sorry to hear about your situation.
I don't have much experience with rescues but I'm sure some other people do. If nobody responds to the thread I'll tag some people who can help :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi I guess? I don't know, I need help. My mum just gave up on her connure and I am taking care of him don't get me wrong I love and respect him but my bond with him has been deteriorating, because I try to build with him to trust my hand because he loves interacting with me but is traumatised by my mother grabbing him and force petting him (don't worry he Is safe with me now) but I have absolutely no clue what to do to help him recover and I've been searching on the Internet but it doesn't answer my question. Please. :(.
Please go to the Conure sub-forum and read up there. Also read the I Love AMazons on the Amazon sub forum, a LOT of good info there applicable to all parrots. Key thing is to go at their pace and not the pace of your expectations.
Parrot trust is hard to gain and easy to lose.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Take heart and thank goodness he has found a friend. Initially do very little. Observe as he will be observing you. Make sure he is comfortable, well fed, while you establish a routine that suits both of you. Routine meal times as much as possible, repeated actions that he will start to recognise, call his name often to let him learn your voice. Read to him and talk often. Give him lots of treats, all of which will tell him that he is safe and you will not eat him. Take your time then to learn/read as much as you can from other's experiences. Don't try to run before you can walk and don't expect success after success. It may be two steps forward and one back but be patient and kind even if he tests you. Living with a Conure is like living with a toddler so don't expect too much and you will both fall in love with each other. Good luck and keep asking questions there is not a stupid one.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Thank you for your willingness to give this little one a better life! This thread might be helpful:

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I have no advice (because I have zero conure experience), but I'll tag some conure people that might be more helpful than I am... @ravvlet @hiriki @maddox @Terry57

Thank you for your willingness to give this bird a better life. You are doing something amazing, and you should be so so so proud.

Dunny

Jun 25, 2022
Parrots
2 Green Cheek Conures - Dunny and Itsy
You seem to have good intentions - and you already have reached out for help. So I think you are on the right track. Some excellent advice already given above. This forum is an excellent resource. Another is BirdTricks.

I inherited my first conure too. Had zero experience with birds. And now I like to think my two Conures and I are doing very well. (Apologies for rambling ... )

I made the mistake of not realizing that birds use their beak as another limb - for climbing, for stepping onto me, for feeling and measuring their way. I didn't know what to expect and thought I was getting bit. It helped me to realize that bites are a normal part of the process, due to holding onto my finger before stepping up, for example. As long as he doesn't draw blood - Dunny's bites are holding on to me or even playing. Even if he does draw blood, it won't be the end of the world. Of course, shunning this behavior is the remedy. (Never swat at or yell at your bird.) Add some anti-bacterial ointment and maybe a band-aid, no big deal.

Also, over time you will get to know his vocalizations. Some are danger alerts - some are the need for attention; some are just communication with you. Take some time to learn your bird's body language. Snacks are important as long as limited. Dunny and Itsy love sun flower seeds.

You will be glad you stayed vigilant and patient. It is so worth sticking with your newfound companion.

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
I can understand your concerns and the fact that you have asked this question shows that you do care about that little bird. I will say that it does take a ton of work and patience to earn a bird's trust, especially one that has been rehoused, and believe me, being a student doesn't seem to be the ideal situation to take on that responsibility. It can be done though! I got my green cheeked conure Maddox when I was a first-year law student and it was months before we built a solid relationship, it just takes time. Start very slowly. First, just work on being in the same area as the bird and gently talk or sing to it so he becomes familiar with your presence and work from there. The key is to move at the bird's pace. Conures are super rewarding and with the right work, make fantastic pets, even for hardworking students!

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Hi!! I just logged in after a week or so of being away and notice I was tagged in this, I know I'm a bit late to the party since I haven't been around but maybe if you're still monitoring this thread I might have some helpful input :)

The key to bonding with a bird is respecting their boundaries. I do have conures, and I also have rescue experience with adult birds that are hand-shy. Both of my conures are very comfortable with hands, and as a species conures are known for being "velcro birds" that want to be with you, but you do need to work up to that level of trust and comfort. Birdie for example (the bird in my pfp) is very friendly with me, but isn't so comfortable with others, and strangers need to work up to earning her trust with lots of treats.

It sounds from your original post like this bird wants your company, but perhaps he's a bit afraid of hands specifically. If he's seeking out your company at all then you're already halfway to the finish line here. Work on giving him positive associations between your hands and things he likes. Make sure to feed him his favorite treats directly from your fingers if possible. Every time he agrees to step up, reward him with a treat. And above all, try to be hyper aware of his discomfort. If you do something that frightens him, freeze and back up until he calms down. Common signs of discomfort are when birds flatten their feathers, or duck as though getting ready to take flight... anything like that, stop what you're doing and back up, show him that you respect his body language.

Other than that it's just a matter of time, I think. Good luck!

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
It is sad that birds are among the most adopted beings. But are the most rehomed.. conure tend to be very nippy by nature. And people get aggressive which in turn makes the bird aggressive, because of the reaction..hopefully you will find the best moments of your life with this bird. As you bring joy to his, because having a birds trust is one of the most amazing things you can ever have. Best of luck! And I hope the experience is something to enlighten you. Because just think what would happen to him if he didn't have someone to love him?

OP
F

Fallez

Mar 5, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Thanks to everyone. I realise I was afraid I wasn't gonna be able help him and its probably why I was rushing the process without realising it. He is really more happy now there is a huge progress and he started to take treats from my hand before I put it in his food tray my heart melted and is coming the closest he can get to me on his cage. Thanks again soo much <3 his cage is his safe place and he only goes in when I'm not around

Most Reactions

Latest posts