Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
NO. NO.
The fact that some people have the audacity to do this is shocking and disgusting and humans are such horrible creatures. We don't deserve life if this is what we'll do with it.
Amazons have the intelligence level of a 3-4 year old child. Far less people would do this to a toddler. What is so special about humans and not animals?
Why don't people think they feel pain?
WHY DO WE EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE?
The capacity for rapacious humans to run roughshod over fellow creatures is breathtaking in scope and audacity. I'll sanitize my scathing thoughts; suffice to say we've psyched the bulk of humanity to indifference with litany of philosophies. Strip non-humans of "soul" and protections so we can abuse, eat, torment, sacrifice at will and codify into mores and laws.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
That’s what I don’t understand. My mom wouldn’t let any animals in our house until I could prove I could properly take care of it and have all of the info. I always see these videos β€œ getting a bird!” And am like here we go again I always know it going to be a budgie. I treat all of my animals like there my children. They deserve it and I almost feel that I can never give them enough. It to information to see people abuse their animals.
Well, I get a lot of rescue goldfish for free at my reputable fish store, but I'm an experienced fish keeper, so that's fine, and I suppose it's similar with parrots. If you are an experienced budgie owner, then go into the pet shop and see a sick/disabled budgie that you can get for free, it doesn't make sense not to help it (in my mind anyhow).

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I think that’s an hour long or so show and it’s worth watching the whole thing. It’s called Parrot Confidential. The segment you saw, the people had an Amazon parrot and a friend kept it while they were on vacation, the bird bonded with the friend’s bird, and the bird did yell no, no, no when the people took their parrot back.

The point of the movie is to show the harm caused to parrots. They interview a couple, who were parrot breeders, and kept getting calls from the people they sold birds to, wanting to know if they would take the birds back. The breeders eventually realize how unsuited parrots are to be pets, stop breeding them for sale, and instead convert their operation to a rescue/sanctuary. They find an old chicken farm and convert it over for parrots.

There’s lots of footage from around the world, and it’s very sympathetic to the plight of companion parrots. I think it should be required watching for anyone thinking of getting a parrot. Yes, it has some difficult parts to watch, but that’s the point.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I think that’s an hour long or so show and it’s worth watching the whole thing. It’s called Parrot Confidential. The segment you saw, the people had an Amazon parrot and a friend kept it while they were on vacation, the bird bonded with the friend’s bird, and the bird did yell no, no, no when the people took their parrot back.

The point of the movie is to show the harm caused to parrots. They interview a couple, who were parrot breeders, and kept getting calls from the people they sold birds to, wanting to know if they would take the birds back. The breeders eventually realize how unsuited parrots are to be pets, stop breeding them for sale, and instead convert their operation to a rescue/sanctuary. They find an old chicken farm and convert it over for parrots.

There’s lots of footage from around the world, and it’s very sympathetic to the plight of companion parrots. I think it should be required watching for anyone thinking of getting a parrot. Yes, it has some difficult parts to watch, but that’s the point.
Yeah, the whole show wasn't bad, but that couple was so ill equipped for an Amazon...

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
Had to find and watch this show after I read this posting. And your right it was all incredibly sad! However it was nice to see some of the breeders change their opinions and the release of the scarlet macaw toward the end nearly made me cry. As a now birdless bird lover this has been on my mind. (Living with a parrot again) It's a huge commitment that shouldn't be taken lightly. And its a shame so many people think it's a easy"pet" and not an intelligent wild animal.
Well sorry for the late night rant but I did also feel so sad seeing so many birds in need

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
This is why I want to rescue, and have rescued, birds in the past. Unfortunately, I've also had to give some up in my time as a bird herder. But I loved my birds and tried to feed them something decent. I used to house my birds in a finch aviary. It was 6 feet tall, 4 feet wide and 4 feet deep. My birds loved it :) ! I try my best. Parrots deserve it!

moon1964

Jun 8, 2018
Washington
Parrots
double yellow-head amazon...Angel
blue-front amazon...Blue
Omg:((( I don’t know how people live with themselves while doing this they are like little children. I think of my conure as a toddler he needs twenty four hour care and even when I am gone for a little he always has toys and family to look after him and care for him. How can someone keep amazons in a bid give cage! This is infuriating! I couldn’t believe treating a bird like this not matter the size Amazons are so so smart. People don’t deserve birds. This is just horrible I just want to Love those amazons and let them know how special they are. I can’t believe it.
hmmm im really confused now.. I was told to seperate my two bonded birds so they woudnt breed..please dont judge be to badly...they do spend time together outside of the cage.. so should i put them back together in the same cage?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is very important to remember that advice is always provided in the shell of that specific question or occurrence.

Unless you are planning on having your Amazon pair provide eggs, they need to be keep separate during mating /hormone season and that includes other times during the year when they slip into a hormonal flow.

Jun 1, 2022
Media
Previous-Sydney, Australia current-Utah, USA
Parrots
Senegal parrot(male)Percival
Green budgie(male) Buckbeak
Clear wing budgie(female) Rowena
I honestly hate humans sometimes they think they can do what they want when they want! like because they can speak they have power over all other species! Humans are a stupid, power seeking, selfish species, I feel basically trapped because I can’t do anything right! everything is covered in plastic, the only way to travel is to pump our earth full of poison, everything you buy has been through I poison machine(factory’s) I just want to leave my goal is to go off grid with a little animal sanctuary where I grow all my own stuff and help animals be animals not lab rats and anxious creatures.
(I do try! bring my own cutlery set, bring reusable bags, I’m a vegetarian and I have chickens for eggs…. But I still feel absolutely trapped and helpless)

Really Sorry if this was a little harsh! I just can’t help it sometimes, I do care about people one on one but I’m speaking human race as a hole.

Most Reactions

Latest posts