May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
PBS has this parrot show, and basically this stupid couple first wild caught an Amazon, kept it in a budgie cage, allowed their 4 year old daughter to mess with it, let it pair bond with another Amazon, then separated them (they were pacing and screaming, saying 'no, no', as they were being mentally broken). They also leave for constant vacations, causing their Amazon to self mutilate in distress.

I am sobbing, this world is so cruel, and I can't imagine the moment their heart was shattered from being separated. They let out soul-wrenching screams, and the owners were like 'why doesn't he LOVE ME!? *pouty face*'.

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
PBS has this parrot show, and basically this stupid couple first wild caught an Amazon, kept it in a budgie cage, allowed their 4 year old daughter to mess with it, let it pair bond with another Amazon, then separated them (they were pacing and screaming, saying 'no, no', as they were being mentally broken). They also leave for constant vacations, causing their Amazon to self mutilate in distress.

I am sobbing, this world is so cruel, and I can't imagine the moment their heart was shattered from being separated. They let out soul-wrenching screams, and the owners were like 'why doesn't he LOVE ME!? *pouty face*'.
Omg:((( I don’t know how people live with themselves while doing this they are like little children. I think of my conure as a toddler he needs twenty four hour care and even when I am gone for a little he always has toys and family to look after him and care for him. How can someone keep amazons in a bid give cage! This is infuriating! I couldn’t believe treating a bird like this not matter the size Amazons are so so smart. People don’t deserve birds. This is just horrible I just want to Love those amazons and let them know how special they are. I can’t believe it.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Omg:((( I don’t know how people live with themselves while doing this they are like little children. I think of my conure as a toddler he needs twenty four hour care and even when I am gone for a little he always has toys and family to look after him and care for him. How can someone keep amazons in a bid give cage! This is infuriating! I couldn’t believe treating a bird like this not matter the size Amazons are so so smart. People don’t deserve birds. This is just horrible I just want to Love those amazons and let them know how special they are. I can’t believe it.
I can't get over it. I hate this world so much.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I don’t know what goes through people heads. That is just horrible. Do you know any further info or was it just something that came up and saw?
It's a whole PBS show with multiple people, some parrot rescuers, but I couldn't watch more than 10 minutes (which was when the separation came up).

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I don’t know what goes through people heads. That is just horrible. Do you know any further info or was it just something that came up and saw?
Why not just dislike the individuals! And be an example of what you want! This is one great form of paying it forward!

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Why not just dislike the individuals! And be an example of what you want! This is one great form of paying it forward!
Yup, not saying I hate humanity in general, but so many people have continuosly done horrible things.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
NO. NO.
The fact that some people have the audacity to do this is shocking and disgusting and humans are such horrible creatures. We don't deserve life if this is what we'll do with it.
Amazons have the intelligence level of a 3-4 year old child. Far less people would do this to a toddler. What is so special about humans and not animals?
Why don't people think they feel pain?
WHY DO WE EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE?

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
NO. NO.
The fact that some people have the audacity to do this is shocking and disgusting and humans are such horrible creatures. We don't deserve life if this is what we'll do with it.
Amazons have the intelligence level of a 3-4 year old child. Far less people would do this to a toddler. What is so special about humans and not animals?
Why don't people think they feel pain?
WHY DO WE EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE?
Cos we're a stupid parasite to this earth. That's it.

I mean c'mon, even budgies have the intelligence level of a 2-3 year old, and people keep them alone it small cages as decoration. Scares me that they'd do the same to am Amazon.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Cos we're a stupid parasite to this earth. That's it.

I mean c'mon, even budgies have the intelligence level of a 2-3 year old, and people keep them alone it small cages as decoration. Scares me that they'd do the same to am Amazon.
Yeah. To over 70% of bird owners, they're no more than a pretty, whistling decoration.
Until whistling turns into screaming, and then they get thrown into another home, this repeats 5 times over the course of their long, sad life, and then they die without ever being loved.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Yeah. To over 70% of bird owners, they're no more than a pretty, whistling decoration.
Until whistling turns into screaming, and then they get thrown into another home, this repeats 5 times over the course of their long, sad life, and then they die without ever being loved.
Or, in the case of budgies, they get released or brought to Petco where they're forced to live in a small cage on a horrible diet, until someone comes along and impulse buys them, then gives them back because oops, they weren't like those parrots on YouTube.

And the cycle repeats, sometimes forever, until someone good takes them. Stormy, I believe, was rehomed (he came to the pet shop at 9 months old), or retired breeding stock.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
ALWAYS the budgies. ALWAYS.

Or the canaries. They always want to buy canaries as gifts for people who want some extra decoration.
But especially budgies, cos they're colorful and ''Oh, those desperate contact calls sound like singing! He must be so content!"

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Especially with females, you get all the hormones and not much of the singing.

Last edited:

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
Yeah, always just "let's just take a look at PetSmart!"
"BIRDS! only like 20 dollars, let's get one! They're not hard pets!"
"The pet store gave me advice so I know what I'm doing!"
I want to die right now this is so awful.
That’s what I don’t understand. My mom wouldn’t let any animals in our house until I could prove I could properly take care of it and have all of the info. I always see these videos β€œ getting a bird!” And am like here we go again I always know it going to be a budgie. I treat all of my animals like there my children. They deserve it and I almost feel that I can never give them enough. It to information to see people abuse their animals.

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
Yeah, always just "let's just take a look at PetSmart!"
"BIRDS! only like 20 dollars, let's get one! They're not hard pets!"
"The pet store gave me advice so I know what I'm doing!"
I want to die right now this is so awful.
Ah that’s my weakness the pet store says those things because it their job to promote bad bird and animal care. I hate it

Most Reactions

Latest posts