I'm not sure how to process this ...

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
And if I'm projecting it think Albie understood more than what she actually did.

But. I needed to go to the shop and she flew to the curtain pole out of reach. so I said to her if she came down and left me put her away I'll get her a nice snack from the shop .....and she did just that . She came down immediately ,stepped up beautifully and let me put her away with out any fuss what do ever.

Obviously I let her have a small corner of a custard cream biscuit because I told her she would get a snack when I got back .

She understood what I said right? and I'm not imagining it right ? Because it's normally a massive faff for 10 minutes to get her into her cage

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I wouldn’t be surprised! Birds can be so smart. A lot of birds seem smarter than dogs and even my dog is capable of processing delayed scenarios (“ lie down and we’ll go outside in ten minutes,” and after laying quietly for roughly, ten minutes she’s up and whining at me again). So I totally think a bird has basic skills of reasoning. Plus, those skills are probably enhanced by the fact that birds seem to process language better than a lot of species. Of course, just because she understands you, that doesn’t mean Albie will listen to you again. . . 😅

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
I don't think you are projecting at all! A few times Maddox has surprised me with his ability to understand me beyond just the normal commands like "step up" or "don't bite". Albie totally knew the deal you brokered!

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
I wouldn’t be surprised! Birds can be so smart. A lot of birds seem smarter than dogs and even my dog is capable of processing delayed scenarios (“ lie down and we’ll go outside in ten minutes,” and after laying quietly for roughly, ten minutes she’s up and whining at me again). So I totally think a bird has basic skills of reasoning. Plus, those skills are probably enhanced by the fact that birds seem to process language better than a lot of species. Of course, just because she understands you, that doesn’t mean Albie will listen to you again. . . 😅
She rarely listens as it is 😂

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Absolutely she may have understood! Ona does things like this a lot that really surprise me.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Absolutely she may have understood! Ona does things like this a lot that really surprise me.
She's crazy smart , I worry I don't do enough with her

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
She's crazy smart , I worry I don't do enough with her
I completely empathize with that feeling. With 5 pets in the house I struggle at times to feel like they all get what they need in terms of training and stimulation. Some days it’s hard and we just have to do our best.

Most Reactions

Latest posts