I'm Parakeet sitting - diet question.

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
I have a parakeet guest for the week while a friend of my daughter's is on vacation. When they were dropping him off with us, his owner was admiring Dexter and noticed his food bowl containing fresh chop with fruit and veggies added. Her parakeet eats a seed mix diet. She said I could offer him some of the items that Dexter eats to see if he likes them and maybe she'll consider adding some fresh foods to his diet, if he will eat them while he's here.

I have no problem offering him some of Dex's chop mix (which is a very fine chop of kale, red cabbage, sweet potato, broccoli, parsnips, carrots, quinoa, beans, lentils and small pasta) or some of the fresh fruits and veggies I add to it daily (apples, peppers, cucumbers, grapes, cranberries, mango, papaya, peas, corn, jalapenos) alongside his own seed, but will it give him digestive issues since he's not used to those foods? The last thing I want to do is give the poor guy a tummy ache.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
He should be fine with trying out the things you feed Dex. I haven't had any issues when adding fruits and veggies to any of our new birds diets:)
Hopefully he will eat them and she will start feeding him fresh things as well!

Most Reactions

Latest posts