In dire need of advice - Need to move out of a bad situation ASAP but have a pair of macaws.

Dion

Feb 26, 2023
Parrots
Macaws
Hello. I’m based in Australia, and I currently live in a not so amazing position. 2 years ago I got and raised a pair of macaws (both 2 years old), and they are my whole world. I suffer with an array of mental conditions and PTSD, so having companions helps, as I struggle to do things and have motivation to carry out day to day life - I still do so and keep a somewhat ok balance, but removing them would be a disaster for that. It wasn’t a problem due to where I was living, with family, but recently that situation has taken a turn and it’s becoming pretty bad.
If you aren’t aware, currently there is a rental/living crisis in Australia. I need to get out, but this puts me in the rental market - I can only afford an apartment at this rate, as I’m essentially stranded and isolated on a mountain, so can’t get anything until I live in the city for a bit and get a stable job. I do have savings to buy a property, but I need at least 3 months of consistent work to get the loan. I already have to rehome my 3 conures, so this is incredibly hard. What should I do? I’ve considered going through the ESA route with the pair, as they are eligible. My 2 macaws are fairly well behaved overall - one would definitely be fine in an apartment living situation, as he’s quiet and more independent. The other… she’s normally pretty good, but she has her bursts (though just standard squawking) when I can’t fulfil her daily routine. Ideally I would like a house, but I do have to face the reality it may not work. But I’m very much looking for ideas from fellow bird owners - if anyone has even the smallest idea, it would be amazing. Thank you!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If they are eligible for ESA status, go that route. Here in the US< a landlord would have a hard time denying a lease if the animals are ESA ones.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello. I’m based in Australia, and I currently live in a not so amazing position. 2 years ago I got and raised a pair of macaws (both 2 years old), and they are my whole world. I suffer with an array of mental conditions and PTSD, so having companions helps, as I struggle to do things and have motivation to carry out day to day life - I still do so and keep a somewhat ok balance, but removing them would be a disaster for that. It wasn’t a problem due to where I was living, with family, but recently that situation has taken a turn and it’s becoming pretty bad.
If you aren’t aware, currently there is a rental/living crisis in Australia. I need to get out, but this puts me in the rental market - I can only afford an apartment at this rate, as I’m essentially stranded and isolated on a mountain, so can’t get anything until I live in the city for a bit and get a stable job. I do have savings to buy a property, but I need at least 3 months of consistent work to get the loan. I already have to rehome my 3 conures, so this is incredibly hard. What should I do? I’ve considered going through the ESA route with the pair, as they are eligible. My 2 macaws are fairly well behaved overall - one would definitely be fine in an apartment living situation, as he’s quiet and more independent. The other… she’s normally pretty good, but she has her bursts (though just standard squawking) when I can’t fulfil her daily routine. Ideally I would like a house, but I do have to face the reality it may not work. But I’m very much looking for ideas from fellow bird owners - if anyone has even the smallest idea, it would be amazing. Thank you!
I recommend you put an ad online looking for a living situation to share with other bird owners, like a shared house. A bird owner with a house with an extra bedroom for you to rent would be ideal.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Your situation was stable enough two years ago for you to consider bringing the Parrots into the home then. Why not work back to that stability now? At least for another year or so to allow you the time to have the income and cash to buy your own home.

Most Reactions