Insurance and vet costs

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
I'm thinking of buying/adopting a galah and getting insurance for it. The only insurance company i could find was petcover and they say incase of an emergency they cover up to $6000. would that be enough to cover the worst case scenario emergency vet bill? What's the most expensive bill you've had to pay?
Im in Australia by the way
Thanks

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
I'm thinking of buying/adopting a galah and getting insurance for it. The only insurance company i could find was petcover and they say incase of an emergency they cover up to $6000. would that be enough to cover the worst case scenario emergency vet bill? What's the most expensive bill you've had to pay?
Im in Australia by the way
Thanks
I would definitely look at the definition of "emergency". For example, I saw a video of a diabetic bird that lost his tongue and required care. Associated costs were boarding, anesthesia, medications, labs, etc. and eventually euthanasia. Would your policy cover these costs? Or for just diabetic care (no tongue issues).

Are you looking to obtain a wild caught galah or hand raised?

I have no experience with pet insurance. Clarify too what is your out of pocket deductible and other related costs... a percentage?

And no.. $6000 is not maximum.

OP
Saravp

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
I would definitely look at the definition of "emergency". For example, I saw a video of a diabetic bird that lost his tongue and required care. Associated costs were boarding, anesthesia, medications, labs, etc. and eventually euthanasia. Would your policy cover these costs? Or for just diabetic care (no tongue issues).

Are you looking to obtain a wild caught galah or hand raised?

I have no experience with pet insurance. Clarify too what is your out of pocket deductible and other related costs... a percentage?

And no.. $6000 is not maximum.
Not exactly sure what they would cover as they weren't very clear but I'll email them.
Definitely looking into a hand raised one.
Again not sure, but will check.
thanks

OP
Saravp

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
Also does anyone know of any insurances that cover birds in australia other than petcover?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Just for the sake of drama... in the 40 years of routine vet care and only minor issues...
We have spent about 14 thousand dollars on the little demon!
Not even counting cages, food, toys, house-sitters...
Worth every penny.
Right?

Most Reactions

Latest posts