IRN pass away - necropsy?

Koi

Jun 25, 2021
Hi everyone,

I brought my first IRN home last week, I had her for a short period of time before she passed away. Her death was sudden, and seemed odd (tail bobbing, wide stance, couldnt keep balance, to clenched feet and wide eyes right before death)

I had a gross necropsy performed. . . But not entirely sure what the results mean - or if I should send the tissue samples for further analysis.
Ill post the results below, but hoping someone with more experience can aid me in what this could be potentially saying.

Thank you everyone!

External Exam: The bird is in good body condition with adequate plumage.

Musculoskeletal System: No significant findings observed (NSFO). The is adequate muscle over the keel. The is mild hemorrhage noted on the surface of the skull. It does not extend into the brain or dura space.

Respiratory System: The is a mild increase fluid around the heart and lungs.

Digestive System: NSFO. There is feed in the crop. The proventriculus measures 2x2cm.

Hemolymphatic System: The spleen is congested and 2 time expected normal size.

Diagnosis No gross diagnosis
Comments The cause of death could not be determine from gross necropsy examination of the bird. Some observations such as enlarge spleen, increased fluid round the lungs and heart and hemorrhage associate with the skull may be significant, but will required histopathology (microscopic examination of the tissue under the microscope) to determine the significant.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Sorry to hear about this!

These results are inconclusive. They’re saying they need to do more tests to get further information.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome under the very worst of circumstances. My deepest condolences for the passing of your IRN.

Gross autopsy findings suggest the need for further study, though hemorrhage, spleen enlargement, and fluid buildup are significant. Whether and how they they may be related was uncertain. Your curiosity or need to know may be motivated by desire for future birds. Assume you have no other avians at home?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very sorry for your loss.

The necropsy does open the need for additional, more detailed determination, that said, there are clear indicators of underlining issues. Each individual has to determine to what advantage a detailed necropsy will be. If it provides you comfort in knowing, Yes. Otherwise, know that you are surrounded here by others that have experienced such a loss and are grieving with you.

OP
K

Koi

Jun 25, 2021
Thank you everyone for your input on this.
I understand a microscopic analysis of the tissue samples would give a clearer picture as to what caused her death.

I was just hoping to see if someone may have had something similar happen or knew of things that would have caused the above.

Nonetheless, I appreciate any input and condolences. Even though i had her for a handful of days, it broke my heart when she left.

Most Reactions

Latest posts