Is a second bird a good idea?

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Petrie ~ Green Cheek Conure
Iago! ~ Sun Conure - RIP 11/20/2021
So I love Iago to death and have been toying with the idea of getting him a friend. I guess I have a couple questions.

1. Is there a way to determine how he will react around other birds? I don't
yet have him harness trained so taking him to a pet store or somewhere
similar isn't an option.

2. Would it really be as beneficial as I think it would be? I really feel bad for
him when he's alone at work so I'm thinking it might be better to have a
buddy to keep him company.

I may be over thinking things but I would really like to get other people's opinions, especially from those who have been through it before.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Of course birds do like companionship of other birds around. But remember to practice quarantine!!!! He may or may not like the other bird but to have a companionship would be nice. That's something for you to decide. Otherwise leave the tv or radio on for him when your not home.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Throughout the nearly 20 years of Robin's life, at times he was with other birds, and at times he's spent years as an only bird - even when I was very busy and had little time for him unfortunately :( He did just fine though. In his particular case, he actually hates all other birds, so he'd prefer if he was an only bird.. but to his displeasure, he will never be an only bird again :)

OP
Iago

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
I've read up on quarantine quite a bit. I do leave the tv on for him when I go to work but just question whether it is the best option for him.

OP
Iago

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Thanks Raven. I feel that Iago might be the same way. He doesn't like anybody except for me and my mom (who he doesn't see much anymore since moving out 2 years ago). He is very protective of me and wonder if he will act the same way towards other birds as he does with people

leomacaw

Jul 13, 2010
Hong Kong
Parrots
2 Greys, 2 Yellow Sided Conures, 1 Jardine's & 1 Lovebird.
it's not really a big problem if you have separate cages for the birds.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
There's really no way to tell if a bird will get along with another bird. Even if a bird does get along with another bird doesn't guarantee you that your bird will get along with the bird you bring home.... Just because they get along now doesn't mean that they will later on. Likewise, the opposite can be said!

Even if two birds don't get along, I still believe that birds can enjoy companionship from each other.

Autumnconure

Nov 5, 2013
I'm very new to the site and don't have the experience of most of you, but we made the decision to get a second bird as a companion for jeckyl. We had the same concerns since jeckyl bonded so closely to me and didn't have contact with many other people and no other birds. Loki has a separate cage placed where they can see each other and have supervised playtime together. We took it slowly and worked at introducing them a little at a time. They aren't best friends yet but they do keep each other company during the day, and talk to each other constantly. They perch as close to each other as they can during the day and chatter. They now play together well and Loki grooms jeckyl every chance she gets. I would say that as long as you are willing to interact with them separately if they don't get along, it's something to consider. Just my humble two cents since we were in a similar conundrum :p

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I think a second bird is a great idea

Difficult to say if they will get along, they choose friends just as us humans do.

They could remain in different cages, in the same room.

In that way they will have a companion 24/7

OP
Iago

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Ok, thanks for all the great advice. Now to think of what species. I'm thinking either a black capped conure or an indian ring neck (if I decide to go through and get one that is)

MamaFuzz

Oct 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
Parrots
GCC - Chico
Senegal - Indy
I'd shoot more toward something similarly sized if you have hopes of them interacting physically. At least if they get into a squabble they will be evenly matched. I tried introducing my Senegal & GCC but the Senegal was not happy about it. Since she has drawn blood on me I don't plan on doing it again. Now they just mimic each other & call when one leaves the room.
No matter what bird you choose, go into it with the worst case scenario in mind. If you are prepared for the birds to hate each other & actively attack, then the rest is easy. Most bird relationships seem to be somewhere between the extremes so it all depends on if you are willing to do the juggling that might be needed. Good luck.

Most Reactions