Is it too late for our lovebirds?

tempaccmaka

Sep 5, 2021
For context:
My brother got two lovebirds and I guess while he had them for the first 3 months, he did not really tame or train them. He just fed them and gave them toys and cleaned.

Now the birds live with me and its been 3 more months and no matter what I do, they will not warm up to me at all. Is it too late? What do I do?

One is male and one is female.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Anytime you put 2 parrots in close proximity, there is one of three things that can happen. a) They accept you into the flock b) they hate each other but are still OK with you or c) they love each other to the exclusion of you. Sounds like you have c). Getting them to accept you into their flock is going to be a long process, and it may never happen. You want to find out their favorite treat and use that exclusively for training. I'd separate them when it comes time for training, like in another room so you can concentrate on one at a time. Look up target training on here and on the web, that can be very productive.

johnbirds

Dec 11, 2020
For context:
My brother got two lovebirds and I guess while he had them for the first 3 months, he did not really tame or train them. He just fed them and gave them toys and cleaned.

Now the birds live with me and its been 3 more months and no matter what I do, they will not warm up to me at all. Is it too late? What do I do?

One is male and one is female.
First if you want a pet bird you should buy a Real hand fed baby if you can not handled the bird the very first time you are more then likely not going to unless you are experienced in handling birds. The you buy from a Pet shop or a Person breeding just to make money the goal is to sell you more. Any breeders know Birds will bond to each other more often then you.never buy two birds at once of keep them in the same cage or this what the outcome will be most often. Best to work with one bird at a time before ore getting another

Most Reactions

Latest posts