Is my conure cage okay?

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
I was shopping for perches today at my local bird store and the woman working there asked to see my cage. She said it was too small for my GCC and that I was better off rehoming him? I was stunned bc idk I thought I had a good cage set up? Im working on building him a 6 ft x 6ft cage custom to my living room. Please be honest bc I want to do the best for Mr. Jello and I really only have experience with amazons and finches.
Note the following before peeking the attachment:
-Jellos cage is always open unless hes home alone (4 hours tops!)
-Jello is usually hanging out outside the cage or on his cage (like in the pic) for 6-8 hours a day.
-Not too many toys bc he gets night frights and I need him to have a safe clear way to fly if he needs to

Attachments

• 40BA0E88-E69D-4595-ACFD-5EF40D8F8323.jpeg
    40BA0E88-E69D-4595-ACFD-5EF40D8F8323.jpeg
    574.3 KB · Views: 68

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
my only suggestion is I would switch the purple sand paper perch at the top out with a different natural perch. You can still use it somewhere else in the cage but the topmost perch is usually the "main" perch as birds like to be high up. The sand paper perches are okay in limitation but it should never be the main perch as it hurts their feet with prolonged use.

OP
bonitabird59

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
my only suggestion is I would switch the purple sand paper perch at the top out with a different natural perch. You can still use it somewhere else in the cage but the topmost perch is usually the "main" perch as birds like to be high up. The sand paper perches are okay in limitation but it should never be the main perch as it hurts their feet with prolonged use.
Just switched the red one below it with the purple one, thanks! He never really stood on the purple perch much, he likes to sleep on his jungle swing towards the middle

OP
bonitabird59

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Side view i forgot to post (soup my grey budgie lurking in the background)
224EADEF-A225-4F5A-A3CF-97B6C575C18F.jpeg

Birb321

Sep 14, 2022
BC, Canada
Parrots
I might rescue a conure or another small parrot
Personally I would put something near the front of the cage like a perch or a toy just because it’s looks a little empty there and you want you bird to explore all around the cage
I hope this helps☺️:orange:

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Personally I would put something near the front of the cage like a perch or a toy just because it’s looks a little empty there and you want you bird to explore all around the cage
I hope this helps☺️:orange:
Bonitabird59 explained the front is open so her bird has a clear flight path across the cage in the event of night frights.

@bonitabird59 I've only had my parrot a few months but he's around the same size as Jello. I think Jello's cage size is dandy! Especially given how little time he needs to spend in it!

I don't understand where the petstore person was coming from - I bought the biggest cage I could find with the right bar spacing and it looks to be the same size as yours!! Where is this judgy person getting her giant cages with 1/2"-5/8" spacing from and why in the world would she just tell you to re-home instead of offering enrichment ideas to make your current setup better 😡

OP
bonitabird59

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Bonitabird59 explained the front is open so her bird has a clear flight path across the cage in the event of night frights.

@bonitabird59 I've only had my parrot a few months but he's around the same size as Jello. I think Jello's cage size is dandy! Especially given how little time he needs to spend in it!

I don't understand where the petstore person was coming from - I bought the biggest cage I could find with the right bar spacing and it looks to be the same size as yours!! Where is this judgy person getting her giant cages with 1/2"-5/8" spacing from and why in the world would she just tell you to re-home instead of offering enrichment ideas to make your current setup better 😡
Thank you! I wish she stopped there but honestly the whole shopping experience was awful. I asked her if she had any suggestions and she pretty much went off the rails. She then followed me around the store just complaining about everything... saying I didnt know anything about conures and how she feels so bad for Jello. It was so unpleasant I ended up just leaving without buying anything. Cant really deal w bird snobs 😐

Most Reactions