Is rice safe? Or too much arsenic?

walterbyrd

Jun 9, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
This is a tough one for me too. I buy organic rice grown in California because I know that the (supposed) highest concentrate of arsenic is in the Texas rice fields and surrounding areas.

I'm thinking about switching out for another grain and do feed some other grains so it won't be too difficult because they don't get rice all the time.

Quinoa is another option but it is so expensive.

The paddy rice that is included in [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Volkman-Featherglow-Soak-Simmer-Lb/dp/B0002FP40O]Amazon.com: Volkman Featherglow Soak and Simmer 2 Lb: Pet Supplies[/ame] is a really nice rice and I like the soak-simmer a lot, but I do wonder where that rice comes from and the arsenic content.

It's always something with our food source, isn't it?

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
My bird eats rice too. At the end of the day variety is the key. As long as the bird is not eating it everday there probably will not be a issue. Maybe give rice once a week or something like that. I know wild birds eat from rice.

Last edited:

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Codie loves brown rice. He does not have it everyday, but my Avian Vet strongly recommends brown rice.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
I've always fed brown rice without much of a worryment. Obviously it's not a daily diet kind of thing, but I don't see much harm in it. I just talked to a women who has let her birds eat apple seeds for 50 plus years and has had no issues:x. Not saying its good I just don't get it even though my vet says its horrible for them.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Copper that is exactly what I think, because people look at me weird when I say I've given my birds eggs and chicken lol:p.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
holy cow, I've never heard of this. I feed my birds cooked brown rice almost daily. I make a big pot of brown rice,corn,peas,sweet potatoe, then cut up peppers, cucumber etc...
I put it in zip lock bags and freeze the remaining for next time.
I am definately going to look into this.
It can't be all that bad, all mine are still standing ;)

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
If you really look, you can find something wrong with everything! Arsenic in rice, salmonella in eggs, cyanide in apple seeds, and on & on....For you, or your birds, to be poisoned, you or they would have to eat several times your/their body weight of these things every day. Trace amounts of these & other things stimulate your/their immune system to build up tolerance & fight these things off. An example is apple seeds...it takes several pounds of seeds to make 1 gram of cyanide. I, and my birds, eat apples, (core, seeds & all) almost every day. I'm 60 years old, and my birds all live a very long, good life. Believe what you want, and eat/feed your birds what you want. I'm always amazed at how these studies always find the results they are looking for.Think about it.

Last edited:

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
My husband works in the apple industry and someone scientifically explained this to him because it is apples too, and it is nothing to be alarmed about. Even things labeled organic are sprayed with some kind of pesticide according to him. I always thought organic meant no pesticides before this.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
From what I have read, its things that come out of season that are most harmful because they come from places like Chile where regulations on pesticides are very lax.

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
B&G (Lola), Harlequin (Mac) and Camelina (Sunny)
I started feeding my baby brown rice today. I think everything will kill you and the birds nowadays.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Another nice thing to try is Bob's Red Mill 5 grain hot cereal. It isn't organic, but the brand has been considered high quality. It makes a nice cereal with a little chewiness.

I never heard of the arsenic being a problem for birds -- I've don't recall having seen it on any 'do not feed' lists.

DooBird

Apr 1, 2013
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Parrots
Owned by Arzoo & Najeem the Alexandrine Parakeets
I feed Brown Basmati Rice imported from India, with no Ill effects :). I wouldn't worry too much about it, But if it gives you peace of mind, try cooked Quinoa or Millet!. I'm thinking of trying some different grains for my Alex, Quinoa is top of my list :).

CaseynCasper

Apr 4, 2013
Parrots
Peaches: 15 y/o Quaker, Casper: 26 y/o Umbrella Cockatoo
Arsenic is a naturally occurring element on the Periodic Table. Like most solid elements it occurs in greater frequency in some areas than in others. That rice or any other plant absorbs a trace or two of it means nothing whatsoever. A normal, healthy creature eating the otherwise non-poisonous plant that absorbed the element will suffer no ill effects whatsoever.

People use those scary headlines to get readers. Don't pay it any attention.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
there's trace amounts of carbon monoxide in the air we breathe. theres something bad in everything, so i am not worried about the arsenic in rice ;)

CaseynCasper

Apr 4, 2013
Parrots
Peaches: 15 y/o Quaker, Casper: 26 y/o Umbrella Cockatoo
there's trace amounts of carbon monoxide in the air we breathe. theres something bad in everything, so i am not worried about the arsenic in rice ;)

LOL We work on the same philosophy. Just wanted to note that it's a natural element.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
My husband works in the apple industry and someone scientifically explained this to him because it is apples too, and it is nothing to be alarmed about. Even things labeled organic are sprayed with some kind of pesticide according to him. I always thought organic meant no pesticides before this.

Hardly Parrotdise, the term organic, is like many others we hear every day, a marketing term, though there are FDA guidelines on what is & what isn't, but like many government guidelines/regulations, industry/special interests often have, if not the final say, a major influence, as was the case in 2007 with organic..... What does ?organic? really mean? - Business - Consumer news - ConsumerMan | NBC News

Of the posts, so far, in this thread, Bill has a very real outlook.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts