is she an orange winged amazon or a blue fronted

margaretmacaw

Apr 25, 2015
Parrots
26 year old Bluefront Amazon
20 year old BG macaw
10 year old Rock Pebbler
Cockateil, age unknown
the owner says she is a blue fronted but i am wondering if she is an orange winged because of the yellow patch on her forehead? Anyone know?View attachment 32731
She is definitely an Orange Wing.
I don't want to insult anyone, but before buying, I would question the owner about where they got it. I think it's unusual for people not to know what species of parrot they have. Yes, there are people who have a parrot that they got from a relative or friend, and have little experience with parrots, so they don't know what it is. But there are also a lot of stolen parrots out there, being advertised and sold in areas farther away from where they were stolen.
How old is it? Was it captive hatched or wild-caught? Does the owner know it's gender?
Blue fronts are generally more expensive than orange-wings, which is one of the reasons im wondering.
I don't know where you live, but in America, no birds have been imported since 1992. The fact that this bird does not have a leg ring means that you have no way of knowing how old it is. My beautiful blue-front is an imported bird, around 35 years old. She could easily be mistaken for a much younger bird. Their eyes lighten somewhat during the first several months of life, but after that, you must depend on a closed leg ring giving you the hatch date. Imported birds have an open ring that was clamped around their leg upon entry to this country. Some people remove these thinking they are dangerous, others in order to deceive the buyer about the age of the bird.
My blue-front lived in a cage with an orange-wing for 20 years. They were fine together. However, older birds need to be introduced more slowly. If they get along well, sharing a cage is fine- they can groom each other, etc.

OP
elsaandnori

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
She is definitely an Orange Wing.
I don't want to insult anyone, but before buying, I would question the owner about where they got it. I think it's unusual for people not to know what species of parrot they have. Yes, there are people who have a parrot that they got from a relative or friend, and have little experience with parrots, so they don't know what it is. But there are also a lot of stolen parrots out there, being advertised and sold in areas farther away from where they were stolen.
How old is it? Was it captive hatched or wild-caught? Does the owner know it's gender?
Blue fronts are generally more expensive than orange-wings, which is one of the reasons im wondering.
I don't know where you live, but in America, no birds have been imported since 1992. The fact that this bird does not have a leg ring means that you have no way of knowing how old it is. My beautiful blue-front is an imported bird, around 35 years old. She could easily be mistaken for a much younger bird. Their eyes lighten somewhat during the first several months of life, but after that, you must depend on a closed leg ring giving you the hatch date. Imported birds have an open ring that was clamped around their leg upon entry to this country. Some people remove these thinking they are dangerous, others in order to deceive the buyer about the age of the bird.
My blue-front lived in a cage with an orange-wing for 20 years. They were fine together. However, older birds need to be introduced more slowly. If they get along well, sharing a cage is fine- they can groom each other, etc.
i re-read what the owner said and i was completely mistaken. he did not say she was a blue fronted and knows she is an orange winged. for some reason i thought otherwise🤦‍♀️. i need to ask the owner all these questions when i go visit her (the parrot) but i honestly don't think he will know the answers to them. He said she is approximately 2 years old.
i will ask the owner why she does not have a ring and if he took it off (i think she probably never had one in the first place though)
he also said she is a DNA proven female but i might do another test if i were to get her, just to make sure.
I also think that if i did get two amazons that i would keep them in two separate cages even if they did like each other (i hope this would be ok and they wouldn't be desperate for each others attention). i can't find any cages that is large enough for two amazons but found a very big cage that will be great for an individual bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts