Is Sully ok?

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
For the past 2-3 days Sully has been in his cage a lot which is very weird for him because he always is the first one to come out and the last one to go in. It has been taking him 1-2 hours to come out of his cage latley and then he doesnt stay out for very long. Yesterday he was out for 1 hour then went back in and he did this 3 times, then he went to bed at 8 o'clock and he usually doesnt go to bed until 11. But today he only came out for 1 hour and has since been in his cage. He doesnt act any different, he still eats/drinks, takes baths, preens himself and dances/talks for me but he just spends all day in his cage on one of two perches, a flat one and a manzanita one with a one inch diameter if that makes a difference. Nothing in his environment has changed.
Should I be worried?
Thanks, Chris.

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
Has he been helping to raise the babies? Maybe he is tired, its a lot of work being a dad. As long as he is eating and acting normal I would just keep an eye on him, if it lasts longer than a week, consider a vet visit.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
No he isnt taking care of the babies, I took the babies about 5 weeks ago. He still acts like himself, except he just spends all day in his cage on his flat perch.

GiosMom

May 12, 2012
Anyway you can take him to the vet today? Fact he is staying on his flat perch makes me nervous. Has he ever did this before?

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
No he has never done this before. He used to wait at the door of the cage in the morning and then go straight to the rope perch outside of his cage, and I would always have to chase him around the room to get him to go back in the cage at night. He only used to use the flat perch a couple of times a day but now he spends almost all day on it. But he acts normal, eats and acts happy, he even trys to bite me still, he did come out last night and flew around the room but he still went to bed at 8. The only thing thats different is he doesnt seem to want to come out of his cage. He can still perch normally on all the other perches he just chooses to stay on the flat perch or the large diameter manzinita perch.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
He just flew out of his cage and landed on the treat cup on his cage top stand, which is where he normally spends his day.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
Sassy had a day like that, a couple days ago. She's back to her normal self, now. Maybe, they have low days, like us, (or me, anyways), and then, kick back in.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sassy had a day like that, a couple days ago. She's back to her normal self, now. Maybe, they have low days, like us, (or me, anyways), and then, kick back in.

I'm guessing thats what it was because hes back to his normal stubborn self.lol.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
my Hahn's had something similar happen. It turned out to be me not allowing him to get enough sleep. Now he goes to bed in our bedroom while I play the nightowl as usual. I guess I kept waking him up when I left his cage out in the living room even if I turned the sound way down on the TV while I played Skyrim.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I'd keep an eye out for him doing it again. Puck went to a flat perch when he got sick with giardia, but it not until he was really sick.

Most Reactions

Latest posts