Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I want to add an extra pellet to my bird's diet, only a small amount, is this ok? My birds used to eat it for several months. It is called "Nature's nest", only available in South Africa. They currently eat TOPs but I want to add some diversity.

Ingredients:

Maize, Soya, Bran, Apple Concentrate, Vitamins, Limestone, Rooibos Leaves, Kinofos, Blanched Giant Peanuts, Zeolite, Methionine.

Vitamins:
Vitamin A , Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin K3, Vitamin B1 – Thiamine, Vitamin B2 – Riboflavin, Vitamin PP – Niacin, Vitamin B5 – Panthothenic Acid, Vitamin B6 – Pyridoxine, Vitamin B9 – Folic Acid, Vitamin H – Biotin, Vitamin B12 – Cyanocabalamine, Vitamin C, Choline

Trace and Macro Elements:
Ferrous, Copper, Manganese, Zinc, Iodine, Cobalt, Selenium

Additives:
Immunowall, Salt, Antioxydant

Edit: I went ahead and bought it anyway... I don't think it's the best, but as an extra I don't think it's so harmful... please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I want to add an extra pellet to my bird's diet, only a small amount, is this ok? My birds used to eat it for several months. It is called "Nature's nest", only available in South Africa. They currently eat TOPs but I want to add some diversity.

Ingredients:

Maize, Soya, Bran, Apple Concentrate, Vitamins, Limestone, Rooibos Leaves, Kinofos, Blanched Giant Peanuts, Zeolite, Methionine.

Vitamins:
Vitamin A , Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin K3, Vitamin B1 – Thiamine, Vitamin B2 – Riboflavin, Vitamin PP – Niacin, Vitamin B5 – Panthothenic Acid, Vitamin B6 – Pyridoxine, Vitamin B9 – Folic Acid, Vitamin H – Biotin, Vitamin B12 – Cyanocabalamine, Vitamin C, Choline

Trace and Macro Elements:
Ferrous, Copper, Manganese, Zinc, Iodine, Cobalt, Selenium

Additives:
Immunowall, Salt, Antioxydant

Edit: I went ahead and bought it anyway... I don't think it's the best, but as an extra I don't think it's so harmful... please correct me if I'm wrong.
Its not very good. I always avoid any pellets with Vitamin K3 or you may see it labeled as Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex. It is ruled out in human foods for toxicity, they say it ruptures red blood cells in human babies I believe.
I would just stick to Tops if I were you, it won't hurt them to eat the other brand for a little while though.
I forgot to say and meant to, I'm so sorry about your Jeff! I know how hard that must be for you, not knowing how he's doing or where he is. I hope he returns and your grieving becomes easier. You seem to love your birds a lot and don't feel like it's your fault, these things happen. Got off topic but I felt I needed to say that

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi, thanks for the response
Its not very good. I always avoid any pellets with Vitamin K3 or you may see it labeled as Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex. It is ruled out in human foods for toxicity, they say it ruptures red blood cells in human babies I believe.
I would just stick to Tops if I were you, it won't hurt them to eat the other brand for a little while though.
Interesting...

I thought about the vitamin K, I heard it's not so good.

I still plan on giving TOP's but I thought to maybe mix the two, and maybe buy some Roudybush to add. I definitely would not use Nature's Nest as the main diet.

I had my bird on it for a few months and had zero issues. I also have "softgrain"(Nature's nest pellets that have been ground up) which I add to birdie bread, and sometimes when they refuse to eat veg I add it. I use it for eggfood as well.
I forgot to say and meant to, I'm so sorry about your Jeff! I know how hard that must be for you, not knowing how he's doing or where he is. I hope he returns and your grieving becomes easier. You seem to love your birds a lot and don't feel like it's your fault, these things happen. Got off topic but I felt I needed to say that
Thanks for the condolences. I miss him. Little guy was so full of energy:(

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’m not so sure that vitamin K3 is bad. It’s used as a supplement in animal food and at low doses, like natural levels, is not harmful to humans.

You can say water is fatal because a person can drown in it, but that doesn’t change the fact that we all need it. Salt (NaCl) can be harmful, too, but everyone (animals and people) do need a small amount. That’s why it tastes good.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
TOPS is an excellent pellet, and I am not sure if pellet diversity is beneficial or not. Diversity in fresh foods might be a better route if that’s something you can aim for! I do give my birds both TOPS and Harrisons, but it’s because they prefer Harrisons & I wish they’d eat TOPS, LOL. I think I might give in after this bag though, I end up throwing most of it out…

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I bought it mostly because it's the most affordable for me. TOP'S is still in their diet.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
TOPS is an excellent pellet, and I am not sure if pellet diversity is beneficial or not. Diversity in fresh foods might be a better route if that’s something you can aim for! I do give my birds both TOPS and Harrisons, but it’s because they prefer Harrisons & I wish they’d eat TOPS, LOL. I think I might give in after this bag though, I end up throwing most of it out…
Or, concentrating on feeding dark green leafy vegetables, yellow- and orange-fleshed vegetables, and berries could be a good goal.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Ah, okay! Yeah, TOPS is expensive, especially if you have to get it shipped. My sincere condolences.

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
Same. I initially gave my birb only TOP's, he finally accepted it. Ever since I started giving him Harrison's, he prefers Harrison's to TOP's.
He would always finish up Harrison's with close to zero waste. TOP's, however, >= 50% waste.
So I'm thinking about going 100% Harrison's. Feeding both pellets will make opened bags stay for an extended period of time, which will degrade the quality.

Most Reactions

Latest posts