Is this cage big enough for a Quaker?

Sonjaaa

Feb 9, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Quaker
The seller doesnโ€™t know the size, but there is a cockatoo above it.

I think it will be big enough for one or two Quakers. Correct?

My baby male Quaker is ready to come home this Sunday. Is he going to mind that he will have to live in a second hand cage?๐Ÿ˜–

He lived with other baby birds at the breederโ€™s. I donโ€™t know if he will feel lonely when he comes to our home. I do have two cockatiels, one 5 month male, one 2.5 month does not know the sex. And two buggies, around three months old, not sure about the sex. Will that be OK or he will need a Quaker friend?

I have never seen a real Quaker parrot In my life! Only on the internet-

Thank you very much for answering these questions!
373984FA-296F-4F93-B421-2144A75A4AC4.jpeg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello,
My understanding is you've recently gotten into parrots in last couple of months? Have 2 young cockatiels , Just added 2 beautiful parakeets? Now getting a young quaker. Can I ask why you are collecting them so fast?

The best practice is to quarantine new birds away from your other birds for at least 30 days. Because they can carry contagious diseases. Especially budgies abd cockatiels that are often mass bred, and not given the same level of veterinarian care.

Quakers are not like cockatiel and budgies. They are rehomed in huge numbers , mostly for screaming and bites. 2 of mine were given up, and the 3rd i got because of her behavior problems.

The first thing to know about quakers is they very easily turn to screaming around the clock. They can't tolerate being caged all day, they need minimum 4 hrs of out of cage time, but do better when out all tge time you are home and caged at bedtime.
Babies aren't like adults.

When they become adults most are going to be very territorial of cage. You won't be able to change food and water and toys while they are in the cage . Or they will bite scream loose their minds. You will need them to come out of the cage to perch , then move them away from the cage while you do what you need. Then they will be fine . How they act in protecting their cage is normal for them. It doesn't mean they are bad birds or aggressive birds. This behavior intensify during hormonal spring and fall. All of mine will bite and draw blood if I stuck my hand in the cage. While away from the cage they are very friendly.

You will need to prevent your other burds from climbing around on your quakers cage while the quaker is inside the cage. Because the quaker will bite off their toes or feet, or even try and kill them . Because they are highly protective of cage. But they are very social and should be able to get along with your other birds while they are out if the cage.

For that reason, amount others I like the big square flat top cages. Because you can pick up a square of acrylic from the home improvement stores and lay it across the top of the cage. It's Clear so let's light in , easy to clean, and prevents little toes from being bitten off of they land on top of the cage.

Quakers take to veggies and really enjoy them. You want to read up and offer a large variety every week. Romaine lettuce, Swiss shard, bell peppers, red chili peppers, squash, green beans ect. Also great for your other birds. I tend to offer in big chunks they enjoy tearing them up.

You want lots of stuff for them to chew up and destroy . Yucca chips, bird bagel rolls, bamboo, sea grass and more. They are active chewers . And they can easily turn that to self plucking , self mutilation. They are up there with macaws, cockatoo, and African Greys in their tendency to plucking.

Quakers can make wonderful companions. They are very social and active. But to enjoy that, you are going to have to more into them than other species. If you are going to add a quaker to your life, I want you both happy. Because it breaks my heart in million pieces, to see all the screaming plucking quakers being passed around. I can't save them all as much as I want to. But I'm trying my hardest to prevent by preparing people fir what they are like and what they need

StormyPica

2x Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Hello,
My understanding is you've recently gotten into parrots in last couple of months? Have 2 young cockatiels , Just added 2 beautiful parakeets? Now getting a young quaker. Can I ask why you are collecting them so fast?
Yes, I was wondering that too. It might not be a good idea to get a Quaker if you have never seen one in your life. Ideally, you would want to watch and interact with your new bird before bringing them home.

OP
S

Sonjaaa

Feb 9, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Quaker
Hello,

The best practice is to quarantine new birds away from your other birds for at least 30 days. Because they can carry contagious diseases. Especially budgies abd cockatiels that are often mass bred, and not given the same level of veterinarian care.

Quakers are not like cockatiel and budgies. They are rehomed in huge numbers , mostly for screaming and bites. 2 of mine were given up, and the 3rd i got because of her behavior problems.

The first thing to know about quakers is they very easily turn to screaming around the clock. They can't tolerate being caged all day, they need minimum 4 hrs of out of cage time, but do better when out all tge time you are home and caged at bedtime.
Babies aren't like adults.

When they become adults most are going to be very territorial of cage. You won't be able to change food and water and toys while they are in the cage . Or they will bite scream loose their minds. You will need them to come out of the cage to perch , then move them away from the cage while you do what you need. Then they will be fine . How they act in protecting their cage is normal for them. It doesn't mean they are bad birds or aggressive birds. This behavior intensify during hormonal spring and fall. All of mine will bite and draw blood if I stuck my hand in the cage. While away from the cage they are very friendly.

You will need to prevent your other burds from climbing around on your quakers cage while the quaker is inside the cage. Because the quaker will bite off their toes or feet, or even try and kill them . Because they are highly protective of cage. But they are very social and should be able to get along with your other birds while they are out if the cage.

For that reason, amount others I like the big square flat top cages. Because you can pick up a square of acrylic from the home improvement stores and lay it across the top of the cage. It's Clear so let's light in , easy to clean, and prevents little toes from being bitten off of they land on top of the cage.

Quakers take to veggies and really enjoy them. You want to read up and offer a large variety every week. Romaine lettuce, Swiss shard, bell peppers, red chili peppers, squash, green beans ect. Also great for your other birds. I tend to offer in big chunks they enjoy tearing them up.

You want lots of stuff for them to chew up and destroy . Yucca chips, bird bagel rolls, bamboo, sea grass and more. They are active chewers . And they can easily turn that to self plucking , self mutilation. They are up there with macaws, cockatoo, and African Greys in their tendency to plucking.

Quakers can make wonderful companions. They are very social and active. But to enjoy that, you are going to have to more into them than other species. If you are going to add a quaker to your life, I want you both happy. Because it breaks my heart in million pieces, to see all the screaming plucking quakers being passed around. I can't save them all as much as I want to. But I'm trying my hardest to prevent by preparing people fir what they are like and what they need
Thank you so much for all that detailed information and instructions! I feel so happy and happy to join this forum!!!

Actually the reason why I got one of the cockatiel is because I reserved the baby Quaker first, and then I started to look for a cage and toys for him on Kijiji ( Like a Canadian version of eBay)Then I saw the cockatiel was being rehomed because his owner just got a new baby ( human baby) so they want to get rid of him because he is noisy. I was pissed off so I decided to take him in. I donโ€™t have much experience with parrot. He came to my house. His previous owner clipped off his wings before he passed him to me so he can not fly- at all. He came to a new house, jumping around try to fly but he couldnโ€™t. He doesnโ€™t understand why. He was sad and frustrated. He didnโ€™t want me to touch him. He bites me, not very hard but he bites.

He had been like this for a week. No improvement. I searched on the internet. I got the conclusion that he needs a bird friend. So I wanted to wait for my baby Quaker to be ready to come home to be friends with him. But then one day I saw a beautiful blue buggie was being rehomed. He is so beautiful and he looks so lonely in his little cage! I decided to take him in! Then oh my god!!!!!!!!! This bird bites me like crazy!!!!!!!! He doesnโ€™t let my finger go! He bites like a turtle!!! Plus he barely eat or drink anything! He just sits on the perch all day long. I contact his previous owner and explained the situation to her. I thought it might be a better idea if I send him back. Maybe he just miss her too much. She just replied to me oh my god he never bites me before and disappeared.๐Ÿ˜ฉ

The blue buggie does not take a glance of my cockatiel like he is the transparent air.

I can not keep the situation like this. I want them to live a happy life with me. So I decided to get another baby cockatiel and a baby buggie from the breeders. Both mentally and physically healthy ones to accompany the ones I have! Thatโ€™s how I end up this four birdsโ€ฆ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Now all four of them are happy together. The blue buggie eats and drinks happily with his buggie friend. The first cockatiel I got become more relaxed, although he still doesnโ€™t like me to touch him, but he doesnโ€™t bite any more.๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Now this Sunday my Quaker baby is ready to come home.๐Ÿ˜ฌ

OP
S

Sonjaaa

Feb 9, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Quaker

StormyPica

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Thank you so much for all that detailed information and instructions! I feel so happy and happy to join this forum!!!

Actually the reason why I got one of the cockatiel is because I reserved the baby Quaker first, and then I started to look for a cage and toys for him on Kijiji ( Like a Canadian version of eBay)Then I saw the cockatiel was being rehomed because his owner just got a new baby ( human baby) so they want to get rid of him because he is noisy. I was pissed off so I decided to take him in. I donโ€™t have much experience with parrot. He came to my house. His previous owner clipped off his wings before he passed him to me so he can not fly- at all. He came to a new house, jumping around try to fly but he couldnโ€™t. He doesnโ€™t understand why. He was sad and frustrated. He didnโ€™t want me to touch him. He bites me, not very hard but he bites.

He had been like this for a week. No improvement. I searched on the internet. I got the conclusion that he needs a bird friend. So I wanted to wait for my baby Quaker to be ready to come home to be friends with him. But then one day I saw a beautiful blue buggie was being rehomed. He is so beautiful and he looks so lonely in his little cage! I decided to take him in! Then oh my god!!!!!!!!! This bird bites me like crazy!!!!!!!! He doesnโ€™t let my finger go! He bites like a turtle!!! Plus he barely eat or drink anything! He just sits on the perch all day long. I contact his previous owner and explained the situation to her. I thought it might be a better idea if I send him back. Maybe he just miss her too much. She just replied to me oh my god he never bites me before and disappeared.๐Ÿ˜ฉ

The blue buggie does not take a glance of my cockatiel like he is the transparent air.

I can not keep the situation like this. I want them to live a happy life with me. So I decided to get another baby cockatiel and a baby buggie from the breeders. Both mentally and physically healthy ones to accompany the ones I have! Thatโ€™s how I end up this four birdsโ€ฆ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Now all four of them are happy together. The blue buggie eats and drinks happily with his buggie friend. The first cockatiel I got become more relaxed, although he still doesnโ€™t like me to touch him, but he doesnโ€™t bite any more.๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Now this Sunday my Quaker baby is ready to come home.๐Ÿ˜ฌ
Keep in mind, they may not get along.

I meant a Quaker, they are one of the most rehomed birds ever, aside from budgies. Great chop btw, they all look super healthy!

OP
S

Sonjaaa

Feb 9, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Quaker

StormyPica

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Thank you! I wanted to see the Quaker before I reserve him but the breeder refused because of the pandemic .๐Ÿ˜ตโ€๐Ÿ’ซ
That would be a red flag. You could easily come in with a mask, but he's not letting you? The bird may be sick or not weaned.

OP
S

Sonjaaa

Feb 9, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Quaker

StormyPica

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
He looks very healthy in the videos and photos. The breeder told me they lost over 40 birds because of a visit once. So after that all the people choose from the photos and videos on the internet and then make the reservation.
So the birds got COVID and died? I'm not sure if that's true, from my research, birds cannot (or are very unlikley to) get COVID, so that seems like a lie, nonetheless 40 of them!!!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi,
Its ok about not coming in person to meet the baby before getting him . Many breeders don't want people around their pairs. So as not to disturb them, or track in avain diseases from other people birds.

But they should want to share pictures or videos.

A well socialize baby should readily step up to you. If you are choosing from a group of babies choose the one that will step up for you. If you meet snd the baby won't interact or step up for you. I would not get. As it takes skill to overcome hand shy. And the whole reason you are doing this is to stsrt with a happy well adjusted baby

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
ok great you have pics and videos!!! Can you share a pic if the one you chosen ?

You have a big heart. I ended up with budgies people didn't want. And came across a burd I had to rescue in a short amount of time.

Burds thst had their wings clipped can learn to fly once the new ones grow in. Its a learning process for them and they have learned fear of falling, but with time they can learn to fly.

You can make progress with your untamed cockatiels. Target training can be a help. Feeding treats by hand and time and patience. I have some video links on target training I will get and share

Last edited:

Ramble

Jul 4, 2019
Now in the beautiful Midwest!
Parrots
Bertie, the feisty, 17-yr-old, road-trippinโ€™, green cheek conure
So the birds got COVID and died? I'm not sure if that's true, from my research, birds cannot (or are very unlikley to) get COVID, so that seems like a lie, nonetheless 40 of them!!!
I agree. Itโ€™s very unusual - having 40 birds die from a visit? Iโ€™d be very concerned that there might be some other sort of virus or other unhealthy situation going on with that breeder. Perhaps a little more research on the breeder first? If you end up with a sick bird in a few weeks, you could be paying several thousand dollars at a certified avian vet..

StormyPica

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy, many breeders do not allow visitors. Its easy fir Visitors to bring in diseases from their birds at home
Yeah, I agree, but I dont think COVID is a huge risk to the birds. The OP stated that COVID was the reason that the breeder wasn't letting anyone in, and implied that over 40 birds had been killed by COVID. I may have just misunderstood.

StormyPica

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I agree. Itโ€™s very unusual - having 40 birds die from a visit? Iโ€™d be very concerned that there might be some other sort of virus or other unhealthy situation going on with that breeder. If you end up with a sick bird in a few weeks, you could be paying several thousand dollars at a certified avian vet, and still lose your new Quaker.
Yeah, over 40 birds is really concerning and a HUGE red flag.

OP
S

Sonjaaa

Feb 9, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Quaker
ok great you have pics and videos!!! Can you share a pic if the one you chosen ?

You have a big heart. I ended up with budgies people didn't want. And came across a burd I had to rescue in a short amount of time.

Burds thst had their wings clipped can learn to fly once the new ones grow in. Its a learning process for them and they have learned fear of falling, but with time they can learn to fly.

You can make progress with your untamed cockatiels. Target training can be a help. Feeding treats by hand and time and patience. I have some video links on target training I will get and share
954425AA-F154-4AB6-851D-717828BB9A31.png

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
ok seller can be talker about covid concern for people, different concerns about birds.

Breeders can have issues from disease Sneaking in its inherent risk for people doing large scale breeding.

I had chlamydiaosis brought in by a budgie and could have killed my whole flock.
Bsbies are much more sensitive and sudden death from disease than adults.

OP
S

Sonjaaa

Feb 9, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Quaker
ok seller can be talker about covid concern for people, different concerns about birds.

Breeders can have issues from disease Sneaking in its inherent risk for people doing large scale breeding.

I had chlamydiaosis brought in by a budgie and could have killed my whole flock.
Bsbies are much more sensitive and sudden death from disease than adults.
I posted a photo of the up coming Quaker.

Most Reactions

Latest posts