Is this normal? My Budgie started sleeping like this a few days ago. She used to sleep upright.

BudgieBudgieBudgie

Mar 12, 2023
Parrots
I have one parakeet.
57F6D4D7-3607-428C-9010-52D1B219B84C.jpeg

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I would say no, looks like the bird may be having a hard time balancing? Is she acting normal other wise?

OP
BudgieBudgieBudgie

BudgieBudgieBudgie

Mar 12, 2023
Parrots
I have one parakeet.
I would say no, looks like the bird may be having a hard time balancing? Is she acting normal other wise?
She acts normal in the morning, she perches upright and plays during the daytime. She doesn't have trouble balancing from what I've seen. She eats and drinks water. I do have the window open before she sleeps and then I close it. it's thpically between 54-67F. Is it because she's cold? I also moticed she's sleeping directly under her new toy. It always happens at night only though.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
How cold is the room? I would quit opening the window, maybe wait until it’s a bit warmer.

OP
BudgieBudgieBudgie

BudgieBudgieBudgie

Mar 12, 2023
Parrots
I have one parakeet.
How cold is the room? I would quit opening the window, maybe wait until it’s a bit warmer.
Usually the internal house temperature varies between 74-75 at night but she's right next to the window. I'll keep the window closed before bed today and see how she does. Should I move her toy, too? She sleeps under it since a few days back.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Winston (M, English)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I think she might be sleeping like that because of the toy, try moving it. But I also recommend checking her feet and legs to be sure she doesn't have something painful going on.

OP
BudgieBudgieBudgie

BudgieBudgieBudgie

Mar 12, 2023
Parrots
I have one parakeet.
I think she might be sleeping like that because of the toy, try moving it. But I also recommend checking her feet and legs to be sure she doesn't have something painful going on.
AFunny thing is my mom said the same thing. I'll move the toy before she sleeps tonight. Another thing is, she had a night fright yesterday and banged herself all over her cage but this occurred only last night. She started sleeping like that even a few days before. I noticed though that she was starting to perch during the day time with one leg inside her feathers for a few minutes infrequently just before she began to sleep slanted like this. Other than that, she balances fine and she plays.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Yes I think it's the toy.
My female Cockatiel Mango self stimulates herself by letting a toy rub her back.
Can't tell if that's what is going on in the picture but move the toy so she can't get it to rub on her back.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
AFunny thing is my mom said the same thing. I'll move the toy before she sleeps tonight. Another thing is, she had a night fright yesterday and banged herself all over her cage but this occurred only last night. She started sleeping like that even a few days before. I noticed though that she was starting to perch during the day time with one leg inside her feathers for a few minutes infrequently just before she began to sleep slanted like this. Other than that, she balances fine and she plays.
How do you know she sleeps like that all night? I assume you sleep at night.

OP
BudgieBudgieBudgie

BudgieBudgieBudgie

Mar 12, 2023
Parrots
I have one parakeet.
How do you know she sleeps like that all night? I assume you sleep at night.
Well I don't know if she sleeps like that ALL night but I know she usually gets into that position at bed time and stays that way even sfter I cover her cage.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Well I don't know if she sleeps like that ALL night but I know she usually gets into that position at bed time and stays that way even sfter I cover her cage.
Try puttung some clean paper towels on the floor of her cage right before bedtime and in the morning look for the largest piles of poop. Right above them is where she slept most of the night.

Most Reactions

Latest posts