Not open for further replies.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Such bittersweet stories! I don't have any such stories as all my kid's came home with me when they were youngsters,except for Jonesy the 'too. Smokey was about 6 months old,a wild caught TAG,Amy was 4 months old and BB was 4.5 months. Amy is now 32 y.o. and BB is 6. Smokey was 28 when she passed away.
Jonesy I adopted from my then g.f. brother after Smokes passed on. Always had two birds,Amy knew Smokey since his first day home and was devastated when she passed..didn't want to come out of his house,sat on his sleep perch all day just came down to grab a bite to eat or sip of water,and I cried/sulked on the couch a good part of the day until about two weeks later when Amy climbed down his house and walked over to the couch climbing up to snuggle under my chin.
I knew then we needed another friend and in came Jonesy the goffin 'too. He was about 25 years old and sadly after a year or so I had to rehome him,something broke in his little brain and he became a monster and untrust worthy. The picture is of BB on his first day home.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0731.JPG
    IMG_0731.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 222
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Such bittersweet stories! I don't have any such stories as all my kid's came home with me when they were youngsters,except for Jonesy the 'too. Smokey was about 6 months old,a wild caught TAG,Amy was 4 months old and BB was 4.5 months. Amy is now 32 y.o. and BB is 6. Smokey was 28 when she passed away.
Jonesy I adopted from my then g.f. brother after Smokes passed on. Always had two birds,Amy knew Smokey since his first day home and was devastated when she passed..didn't want to come out of his house,sat on his sleep perch all day just came down to grab a bite to eat or sip of water,and I cried/sulked on the couch a good part of the day until about two weeks later when Amy climbed down his house and walked over to the couch climbing up to snuggle under my chin.
I knew then we needed another friend and in came Jonesy the goffin 'too. He was about 25 years old and sadly after a year or so I had to rehome him,something broke in his little brain and he became a monster and untrust worthy. The picture is of BB on his first day home.

Jim
Jim, it' wonderful that you don't have any bittersweet stories, and because Amy & the Beebs are with you they will never have any sad stories.
I'm so sorry about Smokey's passing, but I'm glad that Amy got through his grieving and came over to help you with yours. That is true love.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie

Jim
So glad they have no bad stories!:love:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Oh, yes!!!!!

I am excited. As many of you know, the Rb and I downsized this last month. Moves are always stressful. This was his... [counting on fingers]... 6th move with me, in hs 37 years My worries were many, but it all came together. We have been cranky and uncomfortable with each other, but it's time for a new beginning. New Year, New start.

Terry, you really channeled us all with this one. It touched something in us.

I will be dedicating my entry to you, Terrio. Love you.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh, yes!!!!!

I am excited. As many of you know, the Rb and I downsized this last month. Moves are always stressful. This was his... [counting on fingers]... 6th move with me, in hs 37 years My worries were many, but it all came together. We have been cranky and uncomfortable with each other, but it's time for a new beginning. New Year, New start.

Terry, you really channeled us all with this one. It touched something in us.

I will be dedicating my entry to you, Terrio. Love you.
Oh Honey, I'm so glad that y'all are getting settled in and I hope that the uncomfortableness is gone soon. I'm honoured and I can't wait to see your entry. Love you too, Sunshine!

Dec 9, 2021
Media
Parrots
Moon the budgie (M, 2y.o)
Silvia the budgie (F, 1/2y.o)
It's spelled Silvia not Sylvia
(I don't have a picture of when I first got Moon, I will use a picture of him and Silvia messing around)
When I got Moon, his first friend was Buster, my brother's 7-year-old guinea pig. They foraged around on the floor together, had treats together, and Moon's favorite perching spot at the time was on Buster's cage wall. But then we found out that Moon had stomach worms, so we got him to an avian vet and fed him his medication through a.. *I can't remember the name but the thing that sorta looks like a vaccination thing-tube (Also can't remember what that's called) but the end is rounder but you know what I mean right?*
Halfway into his medication, Buster died. Moon spent less time out of the cage and rarely accepted millet for a while after that. He tried to socialize with Percy, our other guinea pig (R.I.P.), but Percy wasn't as energetic was Buster was. Then my family went on a 2-week-long trip and Moon had to be even more lonely than he already was. I talked with my family while we were hiking during the trip and my parents agreed that we should get a second budgie for when I'm at school. So, a day after we got back, we went to the pet store and got Silvia. She was really grumpy at first, she wouldn't let anyone touch her for at least 2 weeks. But when we put her in with Moon, they became good friends immediately. Silvia taught him how to not be afraid to take a bath, and now Moon loves to! She definitely had an impact on his life, and still does. Moon is a lot braver now than he was before, probably because Silvia is a downright rebel. Even though they have almost completely different personalities, they make a great pair!
IMG_20220105_190751.jpg

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Official entry.
This is our first parrot not long after bringing him home.
Plumas became very sick a little more than a week after bringing him home.
We were very lucky to get him to a great vet. had to keep him for 2/3 days in the hospital.

Date on calendar is correct
Plumas date.jpg

Just to add some cuteness.
17 days old
Left is Angel, middle is Mango, Right is Popeye.
3 babys 17 days.jpg

5 years old as of Aug 2021.
Texsize

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
(I don't have a picture of when I first got Moon, I will use a picture of him and Silvia messing around)
When I got Moon, his first friend was Buster, my brother's 7-year-old guinea pig. They foraged around on the floor together, had treats together, and Moon's favorite perching spot at the time was on Buster's cage wall. But then we found out that Moon had stomach worms, so we got him to an avian vet and fed him his medication through a.. *I can't remember the name but the thing that sorta looks like a vaccination thing-tube (Also can't remember what that's called) but the end is rounder but you know what I mean right?*
Halfway into his medication, Buster died. Moon spent less time out of the cage and rarely accepted millet for a while after that. He tried to socialize with Percy, our other guinea pig (R.I.P.), but Percy wasn't as energetic was Buster was. Then my family went on a 2-week-long trip and Moon had to be even more lonely than he already was. I talked with my family while we were hiking during the trip and my parents agreed that we should get a second budgie for when I'm at school. So, a day after we got back, we went to the pet store and got Silvia. She was really grumpy at first, she wouldn't let anyone touch her for at least 2 weeks. But when we put her in with Moon, they became good friends immediately. Silvia taught him how to not be afraid to take a bath, and now Moon loves to! She definitely had an impact on his life, and still does. Moon is a lot braver now than he was before, probably because Silvia is a downright rebel. Even though they have almost completely different personalities, they make a great pair!
View attachment 33818
I'm so sorry for the loss of Buster and Percy. It's wonderful how Silvia helped heal Moon's broken heart.
I love that Moon has learned from her, sometimes opposites do attract! They are both so beautiful.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Official entry.
This is our first parrot not long after bringing him home.
Plumas became very sick a little more than a week after bringing him home.
We were very lucky to get him to a great vet. had to keep him for 2/3 days in the hospital.

Date on calendar is correct
View attachment 33832

Just to add some cuteness.
17 days old
Left is Angel, middle is Mango, Right is Popeye.
View attachment 33833
5 years old as of Aug 2021.
Texsize
It's so wonderful to see Plumas again. What a beauty he was and he will always be remembered.
1984, that is a lot of years caring for birds! You have saved so many birds, and given them such a wonderful life. .
Angel, Mango & Popeye were absolutely adorable babies!

Koko_the_fluf

Oct 16, 2021
Media
Seoul, South Korea
Parrots
Koko (green cheeked cinnamon conure gotcha date 5.18 2020)
(Official entry) Couldn't find the Images when we first adopted Koko so I guess I'll use a random image. So, I adopted Koko on the May 18th he was rehomed by a person who had three conures and they didn't really get along well and I was very bad for all birds Koko even had a little bit of feathers lost so I decided to adopt him. I tried my hardest to keep healthy and safe at all times. Over the past 2 and a half years of owning him he made a great recovery and he has been living happily in our home ever since.

20211119_210235.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
(Official entry) Couldn't find the Images when we first adopted Koko so I guess I'll use a random image. So, I adopted Koko on the May 18th he was rehomed by a person who had three conures and they didn't really get along well and I was very bad for all birds Koko even had a little bit of feathers lost so I decided to adopt him. I tried my hardest to keep healthy and safe at all times. Over the past 2 and a half years of owning him he made a great recovery and he has been living happily in our home ever since.

View attachment 33847
I'm so glad you adopted Koko, having birds that don't get along can be a dangerous situation. Koko looks beautiful, healthy and happy, you are doing a wonderful job with him:)

Manko

Jan 10, 2022
Media
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
Hyacinth Macaws
Blue fronted amazons
Double yellow headed amazons
Alexandrines
Ring necks
Cockatiels
2 new baby hyacinths born in qld Australia our new beginnings with them was when they were just 2 little eggs laid by our pair and whe have been there every step of the way
received_324787012983382.jpeg

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
2 new baby hyacinths born in qld Australia our new beginnings with them was when they were just 2 little eggs laid by our pair and whe have been there every step of the wayView attachment 34083
Oh my gosh, this is thrilling for me. I have never seen baby Hys before! They look like they are doing karaoke!
They are so precious, wow.
Please continue to share pics as they grow up, I really want to see all their different stages. Thank you so much for posting their precious picture.

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Black capped conures, Duffy and Rocky
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Gemi
Blue Fronted Amazon, Paco
Alexandrine Parrots, Worf & Dougie
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
January's POTM Theme
is

New+Beginnings+Cover+3.jpg

animated-heart-image-0005.gif

We have all felt the excitement of bringing our bird home for the first time, whether they are rescues, rehomes or babies who stole your heart.
This month is for those early days when they first joined your family.
Please tell us the circumstances of how they came to you, all our birds have unique stories that deserve to be heard.

animated-parrot-image-0014.gif

The contest will run until the morning (MST) of January 29th, and a poll for voting will go up then. The winner will be announced on February 1.

The winner will receive a Supporting Membership for a year,
and their photo will be the top photo on the forum home page as the winner for the month of February.

One official entry per person, but you can add as many Just for Fun entries as you want!

Please make sure to specify which one is your official entry, and remember to follow all forum rules for safety, etc.

Please include your bird's name somewhere in your post.

*A reminder that you can upload your pictures straight to the forum now! This makes it so easy, and the pictures uploaded to the forum will be visible on the homepage if you win. Any photos linked from other sites (such as Imgur) won't be visible and would need to be uploaded to the forum upon winning.*

Examples:

View attachment 33566

This is Ki and Cally a couple of days after we brought them home. They had been living in a barn, both had lost their mates and they had been paired together.
Sadly, Cally only lived 3 years after she joined our family.
She was wild caught and at
least in her fifties and more likely her sixties according to our vet.
Ki grieved for her for a long time, but he is is still going strong and getting more tame all the time.

View attachment 33565

This is Luna on her first day home. We got her from our wonderful rescue here called Meika's Safehouse. She still plucks her feathers off and on, but is beautiful just the same.

.View attachment 33564

This is Charley right after we got him.
He also came from Meika's after living in a crack house.

It took months for him to detox and he still has flashbacks where he reverts back to the early days of shaking and slamming himself into the bars of his cage. When he does it now he screams Daddy, and my husband goes and comforts him, often in the middle of the night.
Thankfully this happens less and less as time goes on.

animated-bird-image-0627.gif

Worf wound up in a rescue after his previous owner of 28 years passed away. Our understanding is that he started plucking when his owner became ill and had to spend time in the hospital. I took Worf in as a foster and am working with him every day on healing. Hopefully his tail feathers will grow back (I suspect these are missing due to his previous cage being too small rather than plucking). I think this photo really captures Worf looking ahead… poised to embrace the next chapter, a new beginning he didn’t ask for but one he can now accept ❀️

857b552a-4363-444c-90a5-33b25d580c92-jpeg.34158

Attachments

• 857B552A-4363-444C-90A5-33B25D580C92.jpeg
    857B552A-4363-444C-90A5-33B25D580C92.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 308
Last edited by a moderator:

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Worf wound up in a rescue after his previous owner of 28 years passed away. Our understanding is that he started plucking when his owner became ill and had to spend time in the hospital. I took Worf in as a foster and am working with him every day on healing. Hopefully his tail feathers will grow back (I suspect these are missing due to his previous cage being too small rather than plucking). I think this photo really captures Worf looking ahead… poised to embrace the next chapter, a new beginning he didn’t ask for but one he can now accept ❀️
Worf is lovely
Thanks for sharing 😊

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Poor Worf, he must have missed his previous owner so much. Bless you for fostering him, that is such a hard job but so full of rewards. This is a perfect picture to share, with your loving care his new beginning looks very bright.
I enlarged his picture so we can see Beautiful Worf better:)

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Just for fun

Patches.
I visited him at the refuge every Saturday for a long time before I felt ready to bring him home. He quickly learned my routine, and got super excited when he heard my truck pull into the parking lot. One day, he knew I'd be there, and jumped in the water bowl to make himself extra handsome before I got there. The owner sent me his picture.
20180410_093155.jpg

He came home just five days later :)

20180203_124248.jpg

This was our first meeting. He decided right then that I was his person, and stopped letting anyone else near him other than the owner until he came home with me. ❀️❀️❀️

20180415_121229.jpg

His first night home enjoying his bowl of veggies and fruit.

20180502_173331.jpg

Just a few weeks later, on a warm spring day, we ventured outside. He was so happy and proud being out there in that tree. (No worries, as plucked as he was, he wasn't flighted at all)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts