Jasper’s Plucking Problem

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
A couple weeks ago, I realized Jasper (17 yo YNA) had started overpreening…and it quickly turned into plucking.
So I took him to my avian vet, but apparently he is perfectly healthy. He had a bacterial infection a few months ago but never started overpreening or plucking.
There has been no change in environment, nothing that would stress him out at all; except I guess the arrival of my new budgie (still in quarantine) but he doesn’t make much noise and I don’t think Jasper has any idea of his existence at all. He probably wouldn’t be stressed out by a budgie in another room, that he can’t even see anyway.
He’s on a pretty good diet of chop, pellets, some herbs, grains, and legumes, and a small amount of nuts and seeds as treats.
I’d say hormones, but I’m not sure.
Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
What areas are he plucking?

Are you extra stressed? They pick up do much from us.

I have practically the only science study on diet I could find. They ended up having to add back some seeds to the diet in the Amazon. Its pretty early on in my ornithology thread or can link it if you need.

Food and anxiety are linked, in my stress parrot thread she recommends comfort feeding a small amount of baby burd formula before bed. But I think a little scramble egg ir warm mashed sweet potato would work.

Because he is 17 and not a plucker before? I try about everything to prevent as stopping it when just started is about the only time you can be successful with this .

Extra fine misting as dry time with heat in.

Last edited:
OP
foxgloveparrot

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
What areas are he plucking?

Are you extra stressed? They pick up do much from us.

I have practically the only science study on diet I could find. They ended up having to add back some seeds to the diet in the Amazon. Its pretty early on in my ornithology thread or can link it if you need.

Food and anxiety are linked, in my stress parrot thread she recommends comfort feeding a small amount of baby burd formula before bed. But I think a little scramble egg ir warm mashed sweet potato would work.

Because he is 17 and not a plucker before? I try about everything to prevent as stopping it when just started is about the only time you can be successful with this .
Thank you for relplying 🙂
He only really plucks his chest area and leaves his wings and tail alone
I do try my best to remain calm around him - generally I do a good job at that.
Again, thanks, it’s greatly appreciated

OP
foxgloveparrot

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Only a few Avian Vets know that when one sees possible plucking that they should check for a bacterial infection at the skin line and the root of the feather. A plug is take from the site and compared to another site that is not being plucked. It is not common, but well worth testing for as it is a simple fix with medication.

More likely, your YNA is suffering the ill-effects of low humidity levels as January has been Cold and most homes have very low humidity levels. You need to buy a Digital temperature /Humidity reading set. What you are looking for is 43 to 53 % relative humidity of higher.

Short fix: Increase the shower /bathe time for your YNA. Also, with a 'Misting bottle' Mist in the air above your Amazon to allow the mist to fall softly upon your Amazon.

Most Reactions

Latest posts