Jen's Last Baking!! About perfected recipe for cakes and cone treats!

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
So this was what we consider about the perfected recipe after many months of experiments and different variations. These make awesome on a flat cookie sheet, mini muffin pan and does really well made into mini ice cream cones.

Posting these reminded me I haven't made goodies for everyone recently!! But with the shelter we do reuse 'wasted' food. When food bowls are emptied, literally you could almost feed another group of birds, so this whole process got started because there was such a waste of foods like pellets and the dried mixes like Madgascar and Parrot Legumes type. I do sit and pick out all the shells and every pumpkin seed. Not sure if its dedication or insanity - or insane dedication! But, last post for me, so all of you reading these thinking, holy geez, when is she gonna stop or who the heck invited her back! :)

This is the favorite! Any questions on making the cones, feel free to ask, it took some playing to get those to turn out well.

Jen baking again!

I made a batch of avicakes today using only bird food leftovers. Several people have asked about how much to use versus how much it makes, so here is the recipe for today's 'leftover' cakes.

10 cups leftover bird mix (includes Roudybush California pellets, ultimate blend, madgascar type blends). I sort thru this and pick out all shells, shelled nuts like pine nuts and pistachios and uneaten pumpkin seeds (first couple photos show the mix spread out as I was sorting thru it and Max helping by eating all the pine nuts we found!)

2 cups pellet grind dust - zupreem and hagen type pellets (see pic)

about 1/3 cup raw honey

1/2 cup apple thru a blender (I made banana bread today and had it leftover)

Masa dough mix - 2 cups flour and 2 cups water

Mix everything together and add a little water as needed so when you smush a handful its roughly the consistency of playdoh.

I made this batch using various pans, made a flat sheet, mini muffin pan and even melon baller scoop then flattened the scoop by hand. personally find the mini muffin tins work best, just ordered some silicone molds to try. Making small balls and flattened with your hand works well too. The full sheets don't cook evenly, so space between seems to be key!!

Baked roughly 20 minutes at 350.

All total this made roughly 6 lbs of goodies including the crumbles that we would give to the tiels and budgies.

------------------------------

Then Saturday spent the day at the shelter teaching Jeanne what / how I fine tuned. We used an all natural bird mix, threw in hemp, chia and flax, red palm oil and coconut oil. Also ground pellets for nutrition then fresh anise stars and cinnamon sticks ground. Mixed all with little honey for taste then finished with masa flour / water binder.

Cooked most in awesome commercial size mini muffin pans she has, then experimented with gently stuffing the mix into the mini ice cream cones. Turned out awesome!

Cones I cooked standing upside down and had them in at least 20 minutes. One lesson, let them sit for an extended time to dry and cool. I put them in storage while still warm and the condensation in bag made cones soft, tho birds still loved them!!

Pics of cones before and what was left after max got to one.
Hope this helps or gives some ideas...

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Hey Jen! Always love seeing the recipes on the AHW FB page!

What cones do you use? I had bought some a few months ago, but ended up using them for ice cream myself. :p

OP
jenphilly

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Hey Jen! Always love seeing the recipes on the AHW FB page!

What cones do you use? I had bought some a few months ago, but ended up using them for ice cream myself. :p

Use the Joy brand.... I can't have any gluten or dairy, so only the birds get them! Tho I do have my own GF cones and cashew milk ice cream :eek::rolleyes: hmmmmm, think I need to go to the store for an ice cream run!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts