JJ the Quaker was rehomed to me.

michaell8

Aug 21, 2022
Parrots
JJ
Hello,
My name is Michael, My best friends have decided to move to Puerto Rico they have had a green Quaker named JJ they had for 14 to 16 years. They could not take JJ with them, so they have left him with me. I know how birds and how they love their owners. they left him with me last night and he seems of course out of sorts. He is eating a little and he has with resistance, let me pick him up from the back and then will allow me to put him on my finger and shoulder. He does try to bite at me and when I tell him "no" and "stop that" as the owner said to do, he backs off. I also have 3 other birds in the room with him, a Sun Conure, Parrotlet, and a Canary. My biggest worry is that JJ will become depressed, because his entire world and owner are gone. He knows nothing about his new environment, except his cage. He is in his original cage because the owner wanted to buy a new cage, but I advised him that that would shock him even worse. I felt he need to stay in his cage that he knows with all the toys he has played with. Any advice on making JJ more comfortable and getting him adapted to his new life would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
With parrots there are few hard and fast rules. If he seems like he is OK so far, then he is. Try to be aware of changes in his demeanor or eating habits, but so far he seems to be taking the change ok.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello from your friendly lover of quakers! I 've got 3 girls currently .

Thanks for taking in JJ!! Love to see a picture!!!

First, best not to just pick him up , better to let him step up to you and be rewarding with a treat and verbal praise.

And incase you were unaware, quakers tend to be cage protective. My sweet lovely ladies sure are screech and bites if I'm rude Enough to stick my paws in in. So much easier and pleasant to allow them to come out to a perch attached on the outside of cage near the door. Then have them step up from there.

Quakers are very smart ( likely smarter than your other babies , but hey im biased!) and social and prone to screeching and feather plucking.

So go ahead and explain things to him, talk him through the changes, explain what you are doing, like hey im changing out your water , giving you some yummiest ( I have to have mine exit the cage before I do all this) tell him when you are leaving and be sure and go and say hello when you return with a treat even better!

Transition can be hard especially for a well loved one family burd. You seem well prepared to be understaning!! You may see withdrawal, or acting out and anger or going back and forth between. Or JJ my settle and extend his trust right away . No matter how angry or how couch potatoes he seems. He's watching you, and he really wants to find a friend in the storm of change. Keep up that sweet talk and offer treats lots. He might just want to hang out on you near you at first and be ready for pets yet or might want that reassurance.

My older rescue quaker was all over the place at first. Anger, fear, then wanted to sit on shoulder then after a bit seemed to be what the heck you aren't my person and would bite. During some of her tantrums I would laugh and be like really it can't be that bad now, I'd see her eyes twinkle. I've found all of mine to be real full of humor. I never play tricks or pranks on them, ( not fair to them) but they sometimes like to , too me. They love to laugh and know what's funny. If you laugh at something they are going to keep doing that. Once my Pikachu stuck her beak in my nose and I laughed....it was months of her trying to do that again and being sneaky!! My girls aren't big talkers but they know several words. Once I was saying good burd abd they wanted to say bird at the same time with me. I laughed . Well for almost a solid year every time i started to speak they would all say burrrrrd all drawn out like that ...every single word I spoke they would all drown me out with burrrrd....it was hilarious and we would all laugh...but ughh.. lol

Anyway I wish you much joy with JJ!! I hope yiu get to see his personality and find your way together soonest!!
I'm always happy to help.
You can check out my family here if you are interested

OP
M

michaell8

Aug 21, 2022
Parrots
JJ
Hello from your friendly lover of quakers! I 've got 3 girls currently .

Thanks for taking in JJ!! Love to see a picture!!!

First, best not to just pick him up , better to let him step up to you and be rewarding with a treat and verbal praise.

And incase you were unaware, quakers tend to be cage protective. My sweet lovely ladies sure are screech and bites if I'm rude Enough to stick my paws in in. So much easier and pleasant to allow them to come out to a perch attached on the outside of cage near the door. Then have them step up from there.

Quakers are very smart ( likely smarter than your other babies , but hey im biased!) and social and prone to screeching and feather plucking.

So go ahead and explain things to him, talk him through the changes, explain what you are doing, like hey im changing out your water , giving you some yummiest ( I have to have mine exit the cage before I do all this) tell him when you are leaving and be sure and go and say hello when you return with a treat even better!

Transition can be hard especially for a well loved one family burd. You seem well prepared to be understaning!! You may see withdrawal, or acting out and anger or going back and forth between. Or JJ my settle and extend his trust right away . No matter how angry or how couch potatoes he seems. He's watching you, and he really wants to find a friend in the storm of change. Keep up that sweet talk and offer treats lots. He might just want to hang out on you near you at first and be ready for pets yet or might want that reassurance.

My older rescue quaker was all over the place at first. Anger, fear, then wanted to sit on shoulder then after a bit seemed to be what the heck you aren't my person and would bite. During some of her tantrums I would laugh and be like really it can't be that bad now, I'd see her eyes twinkle. I've found all of mine to be real full of humor. I never play tricks or pranks on them, ( not fair to them) but they sometimes like to , too me. They love to laugh and know what's funny. If you laugh at something they are going to keep doing that. Once my Pikachu stuck her beak in my nose and I laughed....it was months of her trying to do that again and being sneaky!! My girls aren't big talkers but they know several words. Once I was saying good burd abd they wanted to say bird at the same time with me. I laughed . Well for almost a solid year every time i started to speak they would all say burrrrrd all drawn out like that ...every single word I spoke they would all drown me out with burrrrd....it was hilarious and we would all laugh...but ughh.. lol

Anyway I wish you much joy with JJ!! I hope yiu get to see his personality and find your way together soonest!!
I'm always happy to help.
You can check out my family here if you are interested
Thank you for your feedback, I was out of town for 3 days and have worked with JJ a bit. He is now talking when he's on my shoulder and getting out of his cage and back in it on his own. He seems to be progressing. I got some phrases from my friends that that would say to him. That helped a lot.

Most Reactions