Parrot scared to touch skin—anyone seen this?

adawiz3000

Feb 3, 2024
Parrots
Humphrey - Quaker parrot
hey!

I’ve had a Quaker parrot named Humphrey since October of last year. He was a rescue that was found loose outside, so none of his history is known.

Humphrey is very receptive to learning and has been picking up on new vocalizations and tricks. He enjoys spending time with us, but will only sit on our hair or shirts… he’s afraid of skin!

We have been trying to feed him dates or other treats while perched on our arms or hands in an attempt to train him to stand on skin.

Anyone else seen this behavior? Let me know if you have any tips!

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
I have a rescued older bird he is very bright, he talks full sentences he gets on my finger but only with a winter knitted glove on. He will not step up on a bare finger. If offered a bare finger he will nip at it. I just put a glove on every time I get him out. Birds have their quirks sometimes. Find a way to work with his quirks. Best of luck. I agree with your feeding treats in an effort to retrain. You might also try a glove.

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
Buddy is a blue headed conure over 20 years old.

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
Don't have any experience with parrots, I own a canary, but canaries can rarely be tamed without significant effort and usually prefer arms, shoulders, and hair to bare hands.

I don't know if this will be a good method for you, but you could try getting him used to skin through relaxed training.

I assume he eats from your fingers. If he doesn't start by holding food he likes on a stick. Slowly hold your hand closer each day until he reliably eats from your hand.

When he has managed this, sit him on a perch and place your bare arm between the food and his perch. He may not want to step on it initially, or even for a while, but consistently reward him.

If he refuses to step on your arm himself, try bringing your arm closer to him each day and reward him.

This is the process I used to tame my bird, and it may not work for you, but give it a try.

Most Reactions

Latest posts