Joey the budgie gets Deslorelin implant

Sorry to hear that. Is there a way to check for implant failure? It has to be distressful for both of you. 🙏
 
Oh no :( I’m so sorry to hear this.
 
🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏 for both of you at the vet.
 
She has an appointment tomorrow. He's going to see if the implant is still in place. I would think that if she pulled it out there would have been a bit of blood on the spot where they implanted it. Maybe she just has some super powerful budgie hormones!
 
Joey went to the vet yesterday for a nail trim and exam for her implant. She laid one egg since she got the implant three months ago and that was about 2 weeks ago. That's better than before. She laid 3 in late December and another three in mid January. Dr said he could feel the implant and was disappointed it didn't work 100% but that its hardest to control. He said I could implant a second one but I didn't want to put her through that again so soon. Maybe in 4 or 5 months if her egg laying picks up again.

Her nail trim was necessary because she was getting hung up in our clothes but I'm sort of wishing I hadn't done it. Her nails now look perfect and are nice and smooth now but she can no longer cling to everything like she did before. Joey was a big "clinger" to anything made of fabric (clothing, drapes, etc) and now she slips off everything. She used to fly to the drapes and grab with her sharp nails and climb up and down but now she can't get her nails into the fabric to land. I fear I've taken away one her main pleasures. 😥 I felt like I had to because she kept getting hung up in everything. She got her nail caught in a handiwipe last week and flew across the room screaming with it stuck to her foot.

Rocky got her nails trimmed, too. I thought for sure she would try to kill the vet like she did last time but he said she was really good. She's not a big clinger/climber like Joey but was also getting snagged in fabrics.
 
Joey went to the vet yesterday for a nail trim and exam for her implant. She laid one egg since she got the implant three months ago and that was about 2 weeks ago. That's better than before. She laid 3 in late December and another three in mid January. Dr said he could feel the implant and was disappointed it didn't work 100% but that its hardest to control. He said I could implant a second one but I didn't want to put her through that again so soon. Maybe in 4 or 5 months if her egg laying picks up again.

Her nail trim was necessary because she was getting hung up in our clothes but I'm sort of wishing I hadn't done it. Her nails now look perfect and are nice and smooth now but she can no longer cling to everything like she did before. Joey was a big "clinger" to anything made of fabric (clothing, drapes, etc) and now she slips off everything. She used to fly to the drapes and grab with her sharp nails and climb up and down but now she can't get her nails into the fabric to land. I fear I've taken away one her main pleasures. 😥 I felt like I had to because she kept getting hung up in everything. She got her nail caught in a handiwipe last week and flew across the room screaming with it stuck to her foot.

Rocky got her nails trimmed, too. I thought for sure she would try to kill the vet like she did last time but he said she was really good. She's not a big clinger/climber like Joey but was also getting snagged in fabrics.
Button is like this too. Every time he’s had his nails trimmed, the poor guy slips all over the place. He needs those sharp little points to hang on and dangle like he loves to do.

Fingers crossed for little Joey and the egg laying!
 
Interesting about clinging. Nameliss only clings to organic living things. Arms, legs, wrists, thighs, hair and such. She doesn't seem to enjoy flying. But she will fly to get to a bare patch of skin. She leaves deep indentations. Once when I was lazy she broke through my skin. I never had a problem with clothes. She will climb into my pocket, sleeve, hood, and coat opening for snuggle.
 
I wouldn't want a CAG to try to cling to my bare skin! I don't even like budgie nails on my skin. What funny is that Joey has figured out how to stay on me while I get dressed and undressed without having to get off me. She knows to move out of the way when I pull my shirt off and and how to stay on me when I bend over to take my pants on and off. She stops short of actually helping me get dressed. It's going to be harder for her without her needle sharp claws.
 
Ahh, Nameliss is very gentle. Her hanging on is the best indicator for a trip to the torturers aka nail trimmer. Average is just over 3 months. This pic is nearly time. Besides I wouldn't want nearly 15 ounces hanging on my clothes. They'd be full holes in no time.
 

Attachments

  • 20251226_195242.webp
    20251226_195242.webp
    85.8 KB · Views: 72
Today Joey was trying very hard to get into my clothes and acting strange so I held her up on my finger and looked up at her vent and she was about to lay an egg! Her vent was pulsing open and close and I could see the edge of an egg! I quickly put her in her cage and within 2 minutes the egg popped out and landed on the floor of the cage. I sure am glad I caught it in time because she was about to lay her egg on my upper chest right under my chin! That's just too much closeness for me.
 
Back
Top Bottom