Just slightly concerned with Sun Conure behavior

Mp13.1776

Aug 15, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek, sun conure
Hello,

I have green cheek conures. I am used to their behavior. To me it tends to be slightly different than Sun Conure. I just recently purchased a 6 month old Sun Conure. It's behavior has me confused as being used to the small hyper green cheeks.

Sun conure, does not have constant wing flipping but it does it alot when it is close to me along with type of low pitch noise. It's looks like a focal type seizure activity to me, being in medical field. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

It's combined with typical head bobbing, slow. He is eating and drinking normal. Feathers are starting not to be as puffed. He also has this wing issue , if it is one when he is eating or occasionally sitting in cage.

Maybe it's just him wanting attention? When he sits in my shoulders the wing flip and noise is consistent.

I have videos just cant upload for some reason. Can email them...

Last edited:

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome to the forum! ❤️

The only sun conure I've been around is 32 years old and very chill, so hopefully someone else that's familiar with juvenile behaviors will see your post soon.

Has he had a vet check yet? It might be worth getting him seen as a new pet exam to make sure he's healthy and to establish a vet relationship for anything that pops up down the road.

In the meantime here are a couple links to threads here that hopefully are helpful:

How to Post Videos

Avian Vet Resources

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This sounds like a younger bird behavior, if he was much younger and just weaned id say it a baby bird asking to be fed abd asking for attention. Because some just weaned burds can revert abd need some hand feeding support when transitioning to a new home.

But at 6 months this should not be the case. 100% sure is 6 months?

Any concerns are very much vet worthy as prompt care saves lives.

I would have a digital kitchen scale and be checking weight. To be sure eating well and not loosing . Its also an important tool in tge life of having parrots as most will drop weight with a health issue.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
My green cheek and sun I bought together. The GCC is HYPER. The sun conure is chill. I do not know the reason for this but when I read your post OP I was like Yep.... same here. The sun conure is just more relaxed. They get along great but there is an obvious personality difference.

I would not be worried. The sun moves slower and is more, just calm.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Wing flipping is a solicitation cue, “requesting” mating or feeding. Has nothing to do with seizures and may appear frantic if a young bird is very anxious or hungry.

Duck1102

Mar 1, 2023
Parrots
Sun conure
hi, I just got a sun conure, 6 months old, she did the exact same thing, even though i fed her or pet her, she still make that weird baby noise then twitch her left wing. 1st day was ok, it started from 2nd day and to day is 5th day and she keep doing it every 30 secs or 1-2 mins. May I ask what happened to your sun conure? Should i be worry about all this?

Most Reactions

Latest posts