just wondering

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
It really bothers me when people think of budgies as replaceable disposable pets. I'm not going to say anything more because I don't want to offend anyone.

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
And yes, Skippah is a bare eyed lesser( not to me) Corella
I would house them seperately, but socialize them together(if that can work).

Well i think it would work then. Just be super careful and have them under close supervision. A 'Corella' could step on a budgie, and totally demolish it. Although a budgie, with their outgoing energetic personalities could bully the corella.

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I don't think of any pet as "disposable". (maybe a goldfish).
But when dealing with a small child, a plain blue budgie can a save a heartbreak, rather than explaining the whole "death" thing before I want to.
I am not suggesting that "sitting on" or "losing"(open cage door) a budgie would be less of a burden, but would be easier to conceal. Any animal that you hand feed and care for from birth would have a place in my heart whether it cost $5 or $5oo.
Quote:
"It really bothers me when people think of budgies as replaceable disposable pets. I'm not going to say anything more because I don't want to offend anyone."
I don't think anyone who knows me has ever accused me as treating any animal as "disposable".

Last edited:

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
I think what indigo is trying to say is that your sounding as if, if you lost a budgie it would be no sweat, where as if you lost your beloved Too it would be alot harder.

I think you guys both mis understood each other though. (now i could be totally off too)

I think what redballoon wants to do is introduce his grandson to birds. Though i think he wants to start out with something not so hard to handle. Budgies are generally easy to handle, and when they bite its no sweat. Where as what i have heard(i have never actually worked or even held a too but bare with me) from toos is that they are much more work to handle, as well as if his grandson got bit from a too well he would be cryin'.

I think what indigo is understanding is that if His grandson 'accidentilly' hurt, or stepped on, or whatever did something to Skippah i think Redballon would eb very upset where as if he did that to a budgie he would be upset but not quite as badly.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
My Grandson is nearly 2 but is banned at screamed at if he goes anywhere near Skippah. If I spent 20 bux on 2 budgie chix and hand reared them with him here at my place, he could learn how to handle fragile animals and enjoy handling a bird that wants to be handled.

I think that is a great idea, what a way to introduce your Grandson to the wonderful world of birds, Yes there is a big difference in size but you seem to have that covered. I would love to see your Grandsons face the first time a Budgie was on his hand, and learning at such a young age would be a great help to him, in finding the joys of bird owning. :) :) :) :)

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
The advice I have been given is as follows;
1)Get only 1 very young dark eyed Male.
2)get it from a breeder, not a pet store
3)Have the breeder clips his wings
4)Have him live inside, in a cage with us.
5)Remove him from the cage often, but let the cage be his haven to retreat to at all times if he feels scared
6)Handle him non stop
7)Have lots of different people handle him.
8)Put the cage where Skippah can see and hear him, and they will get to know each other(or not) at their own pace. If they dont like each other, they will just keep out out each others way.
Have I missed anything?

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
about the not lking each other - they won't necessarily stay away if they don't like each other it took awhile Sidney was adament about chasing down the teils at first. SO you have to be super vigilent anytime they are out together preferably right there where you can grab the little guy to make sure he's ok. Also, have you considered the bar spacing of the outdoor cage you're getting?

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
Heh Re how u doin? I thought u would have been out to get ur Norweigen Blue *!** they seem quiet and not to boisterious

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Boistorous is what Im after this time.
I have decided on an indoor budgie cage for( wait for it) "Gilligan the budgie", and an out door cage for Skippah when the sun is out. I also thought I might make "Gilligan" a young White male, so its just like a "mini me" for the grand son to feel like he has the same thing as Grand dad.
What do we think?

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
sounds ok -

Personally I always reccomend teils as the best first bird for children they're usually milder mannered than budgies and sit more calmly and are easier on little hands - If you got a white teil you could still have a mini me :)

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Will a Teil be ok with Skippah?
Thats an important factor.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
a teil wouldn't be any different than a budgie in the since that it still depends on the bird and you will have to monitor things.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Red, I do believe that it totally depends upon the personality/disposition of either of the birds in question.

I pet-sat for a bird-lady with 6 parrots (1 Too, 1 Zon, 4 Pionus). The Too became tired of one of the Pionus' advances and intrusions, that she RIPPED THE TOP BEAK OFF OF HIM! :eek: :eek: :eek: (The beak is gone FOREVER, he must now eat 'tiel pellet, seed for the rest of his life).

A Pionus is a medium sized bird (avg. 250'ish grams -- I may be off on my weight but it is close, anyway).

I have been brave enough to introduce Cecil (approx. 130grams) to Mojo (275grams). Their is still a size difference and I do not ever leave them unattended, in any circumstance.

I would never introduce my Parrotlet (28grams) to either Cecil nor Mojo ... the ramifications could be mortifying at best.

Best of luck in your quest and search!

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
The advice I have been given is as follows;
1)Get only 1 very young dark eyed Male.
2)get it from a breeder, not a pet store
3)Have the breeder clips his wings
4)Have him live inside, in a cage with us.
5)Remove him from the cage often, but let the cage be his haven to retreat to at all times if he feels scared
6)Handle him non stop
7)Have lots of different people handle him.
8)Put the cage where Skippah can see and hear him, and they will get to know each other(or not) at their own pace. If they dont like each other, they will just keep out out each others way.
Have I missed anything?

Dont forget to quarrintine though!!! you wouldn't want your Skippah to get sick! Im not syaing all new birds are sick but jsut in case.

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I have arranged for a budgie that is in the nest at the moment from the breeder that I got Skippah from. He tells me he will start hand rearing it at the right time for me and clip his wings on the day I pick him up. How long should I seperate them for and how far apart should they stay?
The breeder didnt mention this to me yet.
Time is not an issue as I am not going anywhere quick and I havent told anyone in the household yet.
A little Budgie would stay out of the way of a big bird like Skippah's way, no?
I am not intending to make them be mates if they dont want to. I would assume there would be some overture before Skippah voiced his disgust in any intruder, so if the budgie has a brain he wont get in the face of a Corella who doesnt like him.
Is the old curved beak/staight beak fable true? I am assuming they would graze together in the wild as I see Corellas feeding in the park here with pink and grays and sparrows and wood pigeons and other assorted "rats with wings" as I drive in to work in the Mornings.

Last edited:

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
I would also not bring them together, if ever. My Ekkie and GCC ones had a bit of a fight, i forgot both their cages were open:eek:, and Kodie bit Squeaky on the beak, it still has a little puncture in the beak, i'll try to take a pic. I never wanted to share this story, cause i feel that i almost failed Squeaky, his head could have been ripped off, but to emphasise on the importance of keeping a big birdie away from a small one, i will share a pic to show you. It doesnt look that bad any more, his beak has grown out a bit, so it looks ok now, but i shiver to think what could have happened.

Not the best pic, its hard to get a good pic of such a small beak...
(its on the left lower side, it was close to the cere when he was bit, but it grew out this far now.)
DSC02084.jpg

I too think a Tiel would be a great beginner birdie, they can also whistle so it would make him want to teach the birdie some new tunes(sometimes they can talk, one of mine does). And plus, you do get tiels in snow white, hm, here anyway.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Red that is a brilliant idea, how lovely. I'm sure your Grandson is going to be proud as punch walking round the room with his mini me, Yeah a tiel sounds like a great idea, I also have a white one. (well white and grey, when he has feathers.) :D

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
You can never leave the two birds out at the same time by themselves. If they're cages are close to each other you need to be standing right there with them. My guys tolerate each other pretty well but this morning Daisy was sitting on the platform right outside her cage and Sidney really went after her cuz he wanted to get in her cage to eat her seeds. If I hadn't been brushing my hair right there who know what might have happened! I was able to holler to distract them then put SIdney in time out with his pellets :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts