Kiwi update! PROGRESS!!!!

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
Kiwi has decided that hands are made of treats. He believes they exist solely to please his belly, and that any other use is just absolutely ridiculous. Well...that’s how I think he feels anyways. For no other reason than “why not” I decided to see what he would do if I introduced a perch this morning while holding a treat at the end farthest from him. He’s been ready to start training, I just didn’t want to push it. He was hungry and very much treat motivated at the time. He decided that as long as my fingers taste like a treat he can just help himself to my shoulder. 6AM, no coffee, pouring rain, I’m barely awake...Kiwi took his treat, walked OVER my hand and proceeded to climb my arm. He’s not a fan of the phone (bright pink case maybe?) but I just HAD to get the photo. And yes, that is a sunflower seed in his mouth. But he will also accept “payment” in pellets (just the green ones), almond slivers, and dehydrated papaya.

a68aeeec6902799158f25756b41cd46a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
lol! "will also accept payment in the form of..." so true!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I LOVE it! Congratulations!!! He is gorgeous and awesome.

I had the same situation just woke up let the dogs out , when I get a knock on rge door my rascals dog is loose running down the road in the rain , not near as fun as you!
I'm so excited to follow Kiwi story :)

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
I LOVE it! Congratulations!!! He is gorgeous and awesome.

I had the same situation just woke up let the dogs out , when I get a knock on rge door my rascals dog is loose running down the road in the rain , not near as fun as you!
I'm so excited to follow Kiwi story :)

Oh no! We had a Siberian husky that used to run off to who knows where and come home absolutely filthy and so proud of herself! I hope your little rascal came home clean at least.

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
lol! "will also accept payment in the form of..." so true!

I will “pay” the pets and kids all day if it gets me good behavior! Sunflower seeds, Reese’s, whatever works to get the job done!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
This is excellent news, and thank you for the update. I was just wondering how your gang was getting along.

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
So last night this happened. WHY?! No clue, but he seemed quite happy to perch on my glasses. And Kiwi was actively trying to tell my husband “just try it buddy, I don’t want to get down!”

f691ca8c956d273a9460f70fd4103202.jpg

Most Reactions