Lars the Sun Conure

Angela.

Mar 7, 2012
Chicago
Parrots
Parakeets(2) & Sun Conure (1)
This is Lars. I got him yesterday, he is 6 weeks old. I asked this in my 'Fancy Green Cheek Thread' but I will repost my questions here in case someone who knows the answers didn't check the thread.
I am a little nervous with feeding it, apart of me kind of thinks we should have left it for a bit longer. The breeder did show us how to feed, and had us do it at his house. We have also had 2 feedings at home so far and things seem to be going fine.It is 6 weeks old. Does anyone have any tips for hand feeding? I know about feeding it on the left side, but I am not so sure on how to tell if the crop is full or not. **Update** We fed it at 6am and 10am today, both times it didn't really have much interest in the food, it had about 4 bites each, could it have just been full?

I would like a few clarifications on what the breeder said. Starting next week(7 weeks old) feed it 3 times a day and at 9 weeks to start it on seed, pellets, fruits, etc. Is this correct?

Also, at what age can it go in a cage? and when should it start flying? It is already flapping its wings and going off the ground a little bit.

and the best part... pictures!

428710_391743000854198_100000555056305_1404276_278352331_n.jpg

424562_391742714187560_100000555056305_1404266_421685994_n.jpg

422384_391742734187558_100000555056305_1404267_1803880790_n.jpg

427629_391743294187502_100000555056305_1404283_954181024_n.jpg

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
It is an adorable baby! I can't help with your questions, or I would. Pedro will hopefully find the thread or PM her.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Angela, sorry it is morning here, not long woke up.:)

A baby of Lars age I would feed only 3 times a day (6am, 2pm, 10pm), they would hold approx 20 to 25 mls each feed. Are you spoon or syringe feeding. Is the temp of the formula around 103F & the consistence of pouring cream.

In the photo's he looks a bit on the sleepy side. Is he always like this. It could be just a settling in period & changing hand rearers. Poor baby could be a little stressed.

Usually they are little pigs at 6 weeks. My chicks go on 3 feeds a day from 3 weeks of age, that will depend on the volume the crop will hold of course.

Look if your not happy with him & you can take hime back to the breeder do so. My concern is that your baby maybe sick with either a bacterial or fungal infection or both. Would be a good idea to take him to the Vet & have a crop wash & feacal floation. They should be able to pick up those problems even if they are not avian vets.

OP
Angela.

Angela.

Mar 7, 2012
Chicago
Parrots
We have been using a syringe, I might change it to a spoon, and I am not sure on the temperature, I will be getting a thermometer today and maybe a scale to weigh him daily and I am pretty sure we have the texture right. We just fed him and he ate all of the food, I am thinking we are feeding him too much or too soon? Yesterday he was fed at 10am(by the breeder) 2pm, 7pm, then 11 pm. Today so far: 6am, 11am and around 4pm. I think he is sleepy. I heard him walking around all night. I don't think he has slept much.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Angela, tomorrow drop him down to 3 feeds a day. He should eat very well then because he will be hungry at each feed. About how much formula did he eat for you today? Keep using the syringe if you are happy with it, plus side you can monitor how much is eaten.

To answer your other ?. I usually put my sunny bubs in a cage when the start to climb from their box. Once in the cage i offer corn on the cob, sprouted seed mix. millet sprays, celery leaves, apple any soft foods for them to play with & sample. By 8 or 9 weeks i drop down to 2 feeds, once they start to eat some of the foods offered & i can feel solids in the crop I drop down to 1 feed a day at any time from 4 to 6pm. I carry on with that feed until such time as they don't ask for it anymore. I don't as a rule have a routine either my babies get fed anytime between 5 to 7am, 12 to 2pm & 8 to 10pm. Not having a set time for feeding there is no screaming for a feed at a certain time.

Good luck with your baby.

OP
Angela.

Angela.

Mar 7, 2012
Chicago
Parrots
He has been eating a lot every feeding time :) I guess he was just full those two times? He seems a lot stronger today, flapping his wings so much. Last night I saw him try to fly out a few times. I still can't get over how big his wings are for a little bird. Is it too soon to bath him?(put him in a warm bird bath supervised) his chest is a little messy from when we first fed him, I have tried a warm cloth but the feathers still feel hard.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
He has been eating a lot every feeding time :) I guess he was just full those two times? He seems a lot stronger today, flapping his wings so much. Last night I saw him try to fly out a few times. I still can't get over how big his wings are for a little bird. Is it too soon to bath him?(put him in a warm bird bath supervised) his chest is a little messy from when we first fed him, I have tried a warm cloth but the feathers still feel hard.

Angela if you feel he is to grotty you can just bathe the front with warm water but i would dry him immediately with a hair drier but be careful not to burn him.

I am so pleased to see he has improved. What happens when they are fed to many feeds their little body get so tired of continously digesting food with out a break they just shut down & wont eat. What needs to happen is at your babies age now is 8 hours between feeds, it takes approx 4 hours for the crop to empty & another 4 hours for the food to go through the intestines. If we do it right there is less likely to be any problems with their digestive tract.

Most Reactions

Latest posts