Lately, it's been so hot here where I am that I haven't taken Aziza out of her cage.

miki

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
84
Reaction score
85
Due to an intense heatwave here in the Boston, MA area, where the temps have gotten into the upper 80's and upper 90's, I have not taken my 16 year old pet Congo African Grey (who's captivity born and raised) out of her cage for playtime. I have a ceiling fan, but I'd have to turn it off, which would make my 4th floor condo apartment like a furnace. So, I'm waiting for the heatwave in our area to dissipate, so that I can take Aziza out again.
 
Have you looked into bladeless fans? Depending upon your local humidity, combined with a dehumidifier will make things very tolerable. Be careful choosing both. There are a lot of cheap made on market that break easily. Some of those so called dehumidifiers don't work. So check reviews. A couple drops of vinegar in dehumidifier keeps them mold free. I hate to say this but I live in Texas. Those temps are the norm. We'll be reaching triples soon. Then we'll be in our heat wave. I use a bladeless fan if needed. And a dehumidifier to keep it below 70%. It makes a world of difference. It makes 82° fell like 76° and saves on energy. Then you can let Aziza have all the free time she wants.
 
You could look into a box fan (as long as the outer grill is thick enough that they cant stick in toes or beak) or oscillating tower fan, both are typically inexpensive and easy to find. I totally understand your concerns with the heat, it's starting to get humid and gross out here too, and while we rely on air conditioning to keep the house cool I understand that's not always possible for everyone. I wish you and Aziza good luck finding a solution! ☺️
 
On hot days where I live (high desert of Ca) hot is also normal.
Because we use evaporation coolers it can still reach 81-83 F inside. None of my flock have shown any signs of distress. If your birds are too hot it’s easy to tell because they will be panting.

I always figured if they get uncomfortable I can mist them with water to cool them off.

I’m not expert in this but living in the desert has made me consider options if we loose power or something.
I think cooling is easier to fix than heating in a power down/ disaster scenario.

Those poor people in Venezuela…..🇻🇪
A disaster of this magnitude can happen here on the west coast but I would hope our government is……better prepared to render aid .
My wife is from Venezuela so this disaster hits close to home for us.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom