Laura's Flock Thread

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm just going to start a flock thread to keep. Easier than doing them all individually.

Starting in the middle I guess.
We had to work up to this
20220319_164555.jpg

Ta-dah female GCC ( 7yrs) had since shortly after weaning from petstore. Penny Green quaker female ( est 14 years) rescued ( will edit when I figure out time lines..) , Pikachu Lutino quaker female re homed, Pheobe blue quaker female consider pet store rescue screamer. Not pictured are my 2 re home male budgies Cloudy and Clear. But pictures to come Can't journal my past flock mates right now too sad. But they belong here too, so one day I will add them.

The above flock picture, wasn't something that happened all at once. For a couple of them it was months/years in the making.

Ta-dah has had flock mates in the past. So when I brought Penny home she was eager to meet her and become friends. Unfortunately Penny was clipped/ never flighted before her rescue and hadn't been around other birds for 10 or more years. I underestimated Penny's fear response, as she had seemed pretty comfortable with the other birds from afar. So when I allowed them to meet Ta-dah came right over and wanted to preen Penny. Penny freaked out flipped on her back started screaming this led to a bird fight. I was right there and broke up immediately. Some feathers flew but no injuries. Mmm...a couple weeks later I allowed them to all be out together again. Ta-dah approach more softly like hey we had a misunderstanding but I really want to be friends. Another fight started . This led to them disliking each other, and months of working with them. Till we all agreed we can be out together, but stay away from each other. This grew into we can all sit on mommy one inch apart and nap and get love scrithes and cuddling. Otherwise please stay 6 inches away. Zero fights in years.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Cloudy one of my rehomed budgies..the little doll decided to be friend's after a couple of years. He likes to hang out on me with the other birds. We sometimes can play fingers game, and sometimes I can stroke his belly or beak. He will give kisses and take treats
Seen here letting mommy stroke that little belly. He is a very friendly soul. Ahhhh on my head chirping right now! He is friends with everyone, but especially Ta-dah and Penny and his best man Clear
20220316_172832.jpg

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
she I think.....the males according to my avn have more blue in the cere, the nostrils. So you're touching her boobies..... no wonder she likes.

Ok i'm done I just wanted to roast ya for making me post pictures of my fids getting plenty or veggies.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Little Cloudy was the first to show Penny that bird friends are awesome! It took a long time for him to win her over. Oh he wooed her, sang to her, he never gave up! I have so many pictures of them together. He was so dedicated and supportive and worried about her when she was sick. Its so beautiful how they care for each other. Occasionally they regurgitate to each other, more as friends and family than mate.
20210207_095555.jpg
20210103_130627.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
she I think.....the males according to my avn have more blue in the cere, the nostrils. So you're touching her boobies..... no wonder she likes.

Ok i'm done I just wanted to roast ya for making me post pictures of my fids getting plenty or veggies.
Ha ha! I'm a veggies nag! You aren't singled out, I'm pushing veggies everyday everywhere!

Pied male budgies have pink cere...Cloudys all rooster!!!!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Laura, I'm so glad you started a thread for your beautiful babies. They are literally glowing with health, what a testament to how well you take care of them.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I'd go from keto to vegan if you moved to Minnesota...(not really but its a very romantic story) ...anyways

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Veggies aren't something you have to force them to love, they will love them! It just might take a long time to convince them! Penny took over 2 years to eat ro lettuce, and now she loves it! Evidence above. She did eat other veggies much sooner.
20210511_083947.jpg
20220202_124119.jpg
user33406_pic20475_1536264214~2.jpg

Last edited:

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
YAYYYY!!!!! I'm so excited for this! ....now to go back and read

~~ These pictures are all so adorable! What a special soul Cloudy is to teach Penny about friendship! I'm glad he persisted 🥰

And your whole flock - it's so heartwarming to see what is possible with patience and love!

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
I think I willl make a competing post with my birds stealing steak from me....then meatballs and sausage. Birds are omnivores and opportunistic hunters;

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think I willl make a competing post with my birds stealing steak from me....then meatballs and sausage. Birds are omnivores and opportunistic hunters;
Ha :)
Mine eat eggs , boiled chicken, and have stolen steak from me as well.

I'm not a vegetarian either.
But I do love veggies. Recently discovered I love roasted beets!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Pikachu actually came to me from this forum! His daddy joined just to find the best homes possible for his parrots, after issues with roommates, college load, working and dating was too much to provide for his birds. He put their wellbeing above himself and offered them for free to vetted adopters. This was 2019, October

Tho I was immediately smitten with gorgeous Pikachu, I wasn't looking to add to my flock of 2 quakers, a green cheek and 2 budgies. O thought they would quickly find homes! But weeks went by, and increased pleas and desperation..

I had thought if I added anymore they would be rescues like poor Penny ones in dire need ...I talked about it to friends and family. They convinced me taking Pikachu would prevent her from ever having to suffer like Penny.

Road trip! We met halfway about 3 hrs driving each way for me and my friend who drove me.
Our first head rubs an hour or so into our trip home
16016699441045220139079087210156.png

At first Pikachu sitting closer to my friend ( also male ) so confident and happy! Note bright yellow droppings indicates dehydration..we did take stops for water and food both taken readily , but perhaps hadn't had on her first 3 hrs on the road to me..
user33406_pic21860_1570906242.jpg

Pikachu moved right in with me and my flock like she had always been with us. Its so obvious she had always been loved and I don't think one bad thing has ever happened to her in her life.

Her previous owner wanted a few updates, but ultimately the heartache of letting her go was too much. He wrote me a wonderful thank you for taking her, saying he felt blessed beyond words that she was with me, thst seeing her cuddling with me melting into me was something she hadn't done with him. That she was truly ment to be with me.

Pikachu also became smitten with my playing hard to get Penny. And Pikachu patience in winning Penny love was endless. Penny was still learning how to be a bird, how to interact with other birds. Even though Cloudy had already shown her , she was still afraid of bigger birds.
It took 2 years of Pikachus unending gentleness, respect, never responded to Penny trying to bite or yell at her. It was so amazing to witness. I didn't think Pikachu would ever winn anything more than tolerance from Penny. But Pikachu knew! Love can take time, love heals.
20210208_112130.jpg
20210205_122958.jpg

Attachments

• 20210603_094631.jpg
    20210603_094631.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 20210115_115008.jpg
    20210115_115008.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Laura, I had forgotten that! I'm so glad you reminded me, what a wonderful thing that was for you, Pikachu and her former owner.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Pikachu can also escape her cage and go to Penny's cage open that as well and climb in to be with her love. I've tried several times to let them share a cage. They never fight and never have ever once.. but after a few days it becomes obvious that Penny wants her space, and prefers to sleep alone. But just since Penny has gotten her new cage, they've been putting themselves up together in her new digs. And Penny seems to be ok with that, I almost left them together tonight to see... I'm open, it just depends on Penny.

This is Pikachu trying to break in
20220323_134342.jpg
20220323_134329.jpg
20220323_134510.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts